Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: small fixed blade knife recommendations

small fixed blade knife recommendations

Looking for recommendations for a fixed knife with a blade length of less than 2.5 inches, single edged only. Sorry, local laws are particularly restrictive. Looking for a piece of decent quality that I can begin to learn and train with. Thanks

This is small. Really small. But a well made little knife. Needs an aftermarket sheat to get the most out of it though. http://www.eseeknives.com/candiru.htm
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'd contact Paul Moore and have him shorten his BOB by 1/8" to fit your requirements. He can also provide you a matching trainer.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

The A.G. Russell Woodswalker might work for you. It has a 2.5 inch fixed blade.

I bought one for my son a few years back and wish I had bought one for myself too.
    Light, short, keeps an edge, and comes with either a Kydex neck sheath or a leather back pocket sheath.
    Last edited by ACP230; 10-06-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    This is small. Really small. But a well made little knife. Needs an aftermarket sheat to get the most out of it though. http://www.eseeknives.com/candiru.htm
    I'm watching this thread with vested interest. I have been toying with the idea of a small fixed blade knife for a long time but just can't seem to bring myself to drop the hammer on one. I don't want to wait months and months and spend a sack of cash on something I might end up not warming up to and not carry. Most of the value offerings don't interest me at all.

After recently purchasing a RAT-3 for hiking use the ESEE does interest me. The Izula was still a little larger than I would ever EDC. The Candiru looks more promising. After JHC posted this I went and looked it up. It is priced well and has some good press. I have already placed an order for the knife and a set of G10 scales. Total price was less than $70 shipped. If I like the knife (and don't like the sheath) I might have one of our local kydex benders hook me up.

Depending and what type of blade and specific application, I’ve found some great small concealable knives here: http: //www.szaboinc.com
    Shiv works also has some good small blades. Due to the restrictions in your particular area have you considered a retention style knife like the La griffe, hideaway, or even some style of push dagger (modified or false edge since your limited to single edge)?

I really like the small version of the Kabar TDI.

What's do you want to use it for? For a primarily defensive blade Shivworks/Southnarc is supposedly releasing a new inexpensive version of his Clinch Pick that would definitely be worth waiting for. As a combination utility/defensive blade the Tracker Dan Bloodshark is a nice option and they are also releasing a production version soon. I've tried a lot of different knifes and settled on a small folder(SAK or Spyderco Delica) in my pocket and a Clinch pick as a my defensive fixed knife. On occasion I also carry an ESEE 3 or Gryphon M10, the latter residing in a Bladeriggs sheath(awesome sheaths!!)

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    I've tried a lot of different knifes and settled on a small folder(SAK or Spyderco Delica) in my pocket and a Clinch pick as a my defensive fixed knife.
    I too have tried a lot of different folders. I've owned a couple of crappy fixed blades that were dumped quickly. I did try the smaller TDI you mentioned. I got a FIN Design IWB sheath for it and had intentions of carrying it as a EDC defensive blade. It was probably body type but it was horribly uncomfortable for me and frankly without training I found that style of knife intimidating. It would probably have been almost useless to me if I had needed to really use it.

I am intrigued by the idea of a lesser expensive version of the Clinch Pick. Do you have a link to more info? Timeline? Expected price? Expected vendors?

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    I too have tried a lot of different folders. I've owned a couple of crappy fixed blades that were dumped quickly. I did try the smaller TDI you mentioned. I got a FIN Design IWB sheath for it and had intentions of carrying it as a EDC defensive blade. It was probably body type but it was horribly uncomfortable for me and frankly without training I found that style of knife intimidating. It would probably have been almost useless to me if I had needed to really use it.

I am intrigued by the idea of a lesser expensive version of the Clinch Pick. Do you have a link to more info? Timeline? Expected price? Expected vendors?
    If you still have that FIN sheath and want to get rid of it PM me.

User Tag List