Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: small fixed blade knife recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by isis07734 View Post
    The edge leaves some to be desired. If one were looking for an innocent looking drop point, Ban Tang has a nice set up that you wouldnt have to piece together like I did, and lifetime sharpening. Had I have known of him before this I prob would have went that route. But the ESEE line is pretty tough...

And as for folders, yes- the Spyd Pikal is solid.
    Do you fault the blades profile or the edge? Our ESEE knives (7 or 8) came sharp and are easy to put hair popping edges on. Blade shape profile wise I prefer spear points but these do the utility thing pretty well.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I love the spear point.

Misspoke. I should have specified: I would prefer the edge different for SD applications. The ESEEs are more "survival" based, and the edge/thickness/profile combo, I would say are ideal for those tasks. These comparisons are just my opinion and based off owning and using diff types. Sharpening is a whole 'nother subject that would be over my head.
    Last edited by Isaac; 10-09-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: *edge/thickness/profile combo &

I love the spear point.

Misspoke. I should have specified: I would prefer the edge different for SD applications. The ESEEs are more "survival" based, and the edge/thickness/profile combo, I would say are ideal for those tasks. These comparisons are just my opinion and based off owning and using diff types. Sharpening is a whole 'nother subject that would be over my head.
    Only way I can sharpen anything is with the Spyderco triangular rod set. That makes it easy. I wonder why the dominance of the upswept blade shape for the general survival use. I don't see why a spear point couldn't do it all just as well and still have a more useful point. About the most exotic thing I do with a knife is field dress and skin game. I've used the ESEEs and I've used spear points and I think the spear point is more versatile for fine work.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

This is just a guess, but it might allow for my steel to be used, make it more durable for light prying or hacking? Idk.

Ban Tang replied to a question about a spear point, he didnt have one- but had a pic of some project he was playing with. I'll post the pic.

Ok, here is what I've been carrying- inspired by CP position.

Had to have the kydex made, but it turned out perfect (Invictus Kydex), scales are aftermarket but made for the ESEEs. Sold on a knife website, knife works I think...

The grips fill my hand nicely and it's solid steel. The cons: if lost, putting together another piece takes a 50$ Izula 1, 40-60$ kydex, 40-50$ scales, plus shipping on all of em. Not to mention they dont make a trainer, but the NOK would work fine in place of one.

The edge leaves some to be desired. If one were looking for an innocent looking drop point, Ban Tang has a nice set up that you wouldnt have to piece together like I did, and lifetime sharpening. Had I have known of him before this I prob would have went that route. But the ESEE line is pretty tough...

And as for folders, yes- the Spyd Pikal is solid.
    I carry the Izula II (slightly longer handle) in the factory sheath IWB near the centerline with some paracord to keep it in place. It works well for me.

I also bought the Spyderco sharpener to put a decent edge on it though.

Ive had the Sharpmaker in my basket for ages, I should just hit purchase already.

That's cool about the paracord, much cheaper than custom kdex!

For the past 4-5 years my small fixed blade has been an Emerson LaGriffe in various ways, around my neck while running, tied to a belt with paracord shoved in my belt line and more recently in a Clinch Pick type fashion with a Tek-Lok, clips on to anything, even most of my gym shorts.

My fiance asked me about carrying a knife after she was in a wreck at work. She wanted something small enough to take anywhere and be undetected since all the girls she works with are freaked out by weapons, and that she could use with scrubs. I ended up getting her an ESEE IZULA and had a sheath made by Bladerigs, and so far she's very pleased with it, if only I could get her to remember to take it with every morning. Small overall package and can clip on anywhere while still being accessible and easy to draw.

cheap alternative

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River...ords=crkt+spew

That's a very cheap alternative to some of the very pricey blades I've looked at for a small fixed blade. It's not a super high quality blade but it's good enough to try to see if you want to carry a small fixed blade. You need to remove the useless piece of para-cord tied to the end of it and the cord for neck carry. It comes with a useful sheath that can be vertically or horizontally carried. It's not a great sheath but it's serviceable.

It's smaller than it appears.

It's cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by part-time shooter View Post

That's a very cheap alternative to some of the very pricey blades I've looked at for a small fixed blade. It's not a super high quality blade but it's good enough to try to see if you want to carry a small fixed blade. You need to remove the useless piece of para-cord tied to the end of it and the cord for neck carry. It comes with a useful sheath that can be vertically or horizontally carried. It's not a great sheath but it's serviceable.

It's cheap!
    That's pretty neat. I swear I could find something in the CRKT line up to buy every day and never run out of options.

Quote Originally Posted by part-time shooter View Post

It's cheap!
    Looks like that's a slightly larger version of the Folts Minimalist I mentioned earlier. Could be a good sweet spot on size.

User Tag List