Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget/value AR Purchase Question

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I think that the SIG M400 Tread offers a good package and value
    I've wondered about those, I don't recall seeing them discussed very much.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Last year I picked up an IWI Zion 16" M4gery. Don't know anything about if it's ready to fast rope into Mogadishu, but I can tell you it's been completely reliable and possibly the most accurate out of the box AR I've ever owned or shot. Last fall I was able to ring IPSC steel from a VERY hasty poorly supported kneeling position at 600 yards on the local range. With 77gr JHP, it shoots sub MOA all day long if I do my part.

Sample size of one and all that jazz, but I'd take a hard look at them.

I think that the SIG M400 Tread offers a good package and value; I've been pleased with mine, which has been upgraded with SIG and BCM and VTAC components. There was one assembly QC issue-the firing pin retaining cotter pin was improperly installed, resulting it splitting apart and wrapping around...

Nicely reinforced my protocol of field-stripping, cleaning and lubing any gun before any use....

Best, Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I have a M400 in pistol configuration, I’m impressed enough with it that I’m prepping it for a Form 1.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I won mine as part of a NSSF "Gearbox" drawing several years ago. I won the SIG-Sauer "Gearbox" which consisted of several guns and equipment, and SIG was great about me further tailoring it within the price constraints of what I won. The M400 Tread package I received was very nicely upgraded by SIG, with both the OEM and a lighter 15" M-LOK forearm, a Romeo5 RDS, upgraded ambidextrous charging handle, a forward grip/handstop kit, and a 3-chamber compensator (I chose to remain with the OEM 3-prong flash suppressor). and a VTAC two-point adjustable sling. I added Magpul BUIS sights (needing the SIG front rail segment for that) BCM sling attachment hardware, and a Magpul ejection port cover (replacing the OEM steel one).

I've found the rifle to be well thought out with what appears to be quality components. I have not felt it necessary to upgrade the trigger. The QC glitch with the firing pin cotter retaining pin was easily resolved by Rainier Arms locally; I took it to them when I could not get the bolt/bolt carrier disassembled.

The reviews that I've read have all been pretty positive. I position the M400 Tread as an entry to mid-level AR, and I think they're an excellent value. I've used it in one class and some subsequent training exercises, but mine doesn't have a high roundcount on it to date. The only malfunctions I've experienced were solidly at the door of some improperly specced reloads; since that all have been gauged and rejected if not to spec, with my preference to just stick with factory 5.56/.223. The Romeo5 RDS is quite nice, and I've also zeroed the Magpul polymer BUIS.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I have a M400 in pistol configuration, I’m impressed enough with it that I’m prepping it for a Form 1.
    I won mine as part of a NSSF "Gearbox" drawing several years ago. I won the SIG-Sauer "Gearbox" which consisted of several guns and equipment, and SIG was great about me further tailoring it within the price constraints of what I won. The M400 Tread package I received was very nicely upgraded by SIG, with both the OEM and a lighter 15" M-LOK forearm, a Romeo5 RDS, upgraded ambidextrous charging handle, a forward grip/handstop kit, and a 3-chamber compensator (I chose to remain with the OEM 3-prong flash suppressor). and a VTAC two-point adjustable sling. I added Magpul BUIS sights (needing the SIG front rail segment for that) BCM sling attachment hardware, and a Magpul ejection port cover (replacing the OEM steel one).

I've found the rifle to be well thought out with what appears to be quality components. I have not felt it necessary to upgrade the trigger. The QC glitch with the firing pin cotter retaining pin was easily resolved by Rainier Arms locally; I took it to them when I could not get the bolt/bolt carrier disassembled.

The reviews that I've read have all been pretty positive. I position the M400 Tread as an entry to mid-level AR, and I think they're an excellent value. I've used it in one class and some subsequent training exercises, but mine doesn't have a high roundcount on it to date. The only malfunctions I've experienced were solidly at the door of some improperly specced reloads; since that all have been gauged and rejected if not to spec, with my preference to just stick with factory 5.56/.223. The Romeo5 RDS is quite nice, and I've also zeroed the Magpul polymer BUIS.

Best, Jon
    I have 2 SIG AR rifles - a 516 and a M400 pistol. Both have been SOLID rifles with the 516 becoming my primary all round carbine. While I have no experience with the Tread, my experience with these two rifles would lead me to view it positively.

The California Highway Patrol issues the M400 so there should be a fair amount of info on them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    I have a good friend, recently retired teacher who is wanting to purchase an AR. Actually, it’s his wife that wants them to get one (!). He is a pretty typical shooter—doesn’t shoot a ton but is very responsible. I don't expect it will be a hard-use rifle, but I obviously want him to buy quality. I do recognize that “budget” and “value” do not mean the same thing. I’m asking for recommendations for the best budget trifle that is also a value.

Price wise, this is hard to bear, but is it good enough? https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ight-set3.html

Other options? Thanks!
    That rifle will be fine for him to run hard and learn with. If he has a problem PSA has a door to door lifetime warranty. He can invest in ammo and training.

Site Supporter
    https://armsunlimited.com/colt-le692...-no-furniture/

No promises, but I may have an extra stock and grip I could contribute if this looks appealing. He'd still need a handguard and sights though. Still, you should be able to get a good rifle for under $1K.

I bought two of these to set aside for my daughter's. I haven't fired either yet, but I think they are decent values.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post

No promises, but I may have an extra stock and grip I could contribute if this looks appealing. He'd still need a handguard and sights though. Still, you should be able to get a good rifle for under $1K.

I bought two of these to set aside for my daughter's. I haven't fired either yet, but I think they are decent values.

I was looking at those for a friend - Dahlonega Armory in AL has them for a few bucks less, plus no sales tax. I agree they are probably one of the best bangs for the buck these days.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I was looking at those for a friend - Dahlonega Armory in AL has them for a few bucks less, plus no sales tax. I agree they are probably one of the best bangs for the buck these days.
    The Colt 6920.

Absolutely the best option for known quality - reliability - price.
    No need to "pick two".

No issues about what kind of fuckery with assembly, parts, quality control, etc. might or might not be in the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    The Colt 6920.

Absolutely the best option for known quality - reliability - price.
    No need to "pick two".

No issues about what kind of fuckery with assembly, parts, quality control, etc. might or might not be in the gun.
    I’d want a Centurion C4 rail on it, but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear there are more economical choices for a rail that anchors to the milspec barrel nut these days.
    Ken

User Tag List