Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography Gear and Techniques

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Is that a focal length you would find useful? I need something much wider for my Scheimpflug gyrations. I’ve heard that’s a great lens.
    What is Scheimpflug gyrations?

Chris

Site Supporter
    I stopped in at Precision Camera in Austin yesterday, their used cases are always worth a look. One thing that really caught my eye was a Combat Graphic with case - basically a 4x5 point and shoot. A Speed Graphic was my first real camera, so I have a soft spot for all the variants.
    I've never heard of a Combat Graphic before. I had a Crown Graphic for awhile and enjoyed taking pictures with Harmon Direct Positive Paper, but the whole process of LF photography was a bit too involved for my tastes. I couldn't just toss the camera in my pack while out doing other stuff.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    What is Scheimpflug gyrations?
    Just a cutesy way of describing how view camera movements work. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheimpflug_principle

I've never heard of a Combat Graphic before. I had a Crown Graphic for awhile and enjoyed taking pictures with Harmon Direct Positive Paper, but the whole process of LF photography was a bit too involved for my tastes. I couldn't just toss the camera in my pack while out doing other stuff.

Chris
    I’ve seen a few over the years, but not one like this where I could play with it to my heart’s content. Apparently these were made for the Pacific War, the Navy and Marines had them. It looks like a bulletproof 4x5 box camera, I don’t think it has any movements at all.

Have you seen the 4x5 pinhole box cameras? They are bulky but packable. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...5_Pinhole.html

I never noticed they are doing these in ULF now. A 11x14 pinhole ultrawide… hmmm. They even have direct positive paper for it.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Have you seen the 4x5 pinhole box cameras? They are bulky but packable. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...5_Pinhole.html

I never noticed they are doing these in ULF now. A 11x14 pinhole ultrawide… hmmm. They even have direct positive paper for it.
    Pinhole was what got me started in LF. I had the teak wide-angle version of the one you linked (found it dirt cheap on eBay with several film holders). The main issue was I needed a tripod and bulky film holders for any permutation of LF. With DPP some of my pinhole exposures were 15-20 minutes.

Chris

Pinhole was what got me started in LF. I had the teak wide-angle version of the one you linked (found it dirt cheap on eBay with several film holders). The main issue was I needed a tripod and bulky film holders for any permutation of LF. With DPP some of my pinhole exposures were 15-20 minutes.

Chris
    If NH wasn’t so rocky, you could probably get by with the old ball head on a spike trick for some work. But a LF tripod is a beast, I agree.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    If NH wasn’t so rocky, you could probably get by with the old ball head on a spike trick for some work. But a LF tripod is a beast, I agree.
    I've got a good tripod for the LF work I did, but it all adds up (tripod, camera, film holders, etc) to the point that doing anything BUT photography is all but impossible, including enjoying the walk/hike itself.

Chris

An update - I just picked up a Nikkor 28/3.5 PC, and am waiting for a new Kipon tilt adapter that will allow use on my Z bodies. I think this will be a blast! Shift and 360° rotation on the lens, and tilt plus 360° rotation on the adapter too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VWTXX42
    Ken

how about, this one be a Gear and Techniques thread, and the other be just pictures?

perhaps with a thread title change to reflect the above, if agreed upon.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

An update - I just picked up a Nikkor 28/3.5 PC, and am waiting for a new Kipon tilt adapter that will allow use on my Z bodies. I think this will be a blast! Shift and 360° rotation on the lens, and tilt plus 360° rotation on the adapter too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VWTXX42
    you could pull some inception type shit with that. tilt/shift the adapter one way, the lens back the other. that sounds like a play date with the gear!
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    how about, this one be a Gear and Techniques thread, and the other be just pictures?

perhaps with a thread title change to reflect the above, if agreed upon.
    I’m good with that if the shitmods are.
    Ken

User Tag List