Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography Gear and Techniques

Photography Gear and Techniques

If we do, I can’t find it!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Photos or photo equipment? A photo equipment mega-thread could be pretty cool.

Site Supporter
    Let's make this thread it.

I'll start...

The other day at a photography store in a nearby town I stumbled upon a Canon New F-1 AE with 50/1.8 and 28/2.0, film tested, for $250. Yes please.

And, I just bought 15 rolls of Berger Panchro 400.

I can stop anytime I want to.

Chris

Hard to beat a good 28 f/2. I picked one up for my Nikon F3 back in 2000 (a Nikon Nikkor 28 f/2 N, Nippon Kogaku marked, factory modified to AI sometime in the late 1970s) and it's been my go-to indoor lens ever since; in fact, it's on my D700 right now.

I stopped in at Precision Camera in Austin yesterday, their used cases are always worth a look. One thing that really caught my eye was a Combat Graphic with case - basically a 4x5 point and shoot. A Speed Graphic was my first real camera, so I have a soft spot for all the variants.

I was looking specifically for tilt-shift lenses (PC lenses in Nikon’s parlance.) I have an old 35 PC that is shift only but would like a more modern lens. I’ll probably just wait until Nikon develops them for the Z mount which is now my main system.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Let's make this thread it.

I'll start...

The other day at a photography store in a nearby town I stumbled upon a Canon New F-1 AE with 50/1.8 and 28/2.0, film tested, for $250. Yes please.

And, I just bought 15 rolls of Berger Panchro 400.

I can stop anytime I want to.

Chris
    I have a New F1 AE with motor drive, it’s one of the small pile of equipment I picked up when film body prices absolutely tanked. It’s an interesting counterpoint to my Nikons. I like my T90, too!
    Ken

KEH.com is running a 20-percent off overstock sale right now, and the Nikon 85 f/2.8 PC Micro is part of it. I’ve been sorely tempted to pick one up all week.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    KEH.com is running a 20-percent off overstock sale right now, and the Nikon 85 f/2.8 PC Micro is part of it. I’ve been sorely tempted to pick one up all week.
    Is that a focal length you would find useful? I need something much wider for my Scheimpflug gyrations. I’ve heard that’s a great lens.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Is that a focal length you would find useful? I need something much wider for my Scheimpflug gyrations. I’ve heard that’s a great lens.
    I would, because most of the time I've wanted to have tilt or shift has been when working close-up--particularly with large flowers like dahlias, and the 85 PC is both very sharp and one of the few Nikon F-mount lenses that will stop down to f/45. I've also found that most of my landscape shots have been with lenses between 50-105mm (and the rest have been between 15-20mm, go figure) so having the ability to tilt and shift with a medium telephoto would give me an added capability for landscape work. I also like the idea of the first-generation 85 PC Micro because it is wholly manual in operation, including stopping down, so it can used on any camera that can take an F-mount lens or adapter.

User Tag List