Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Kahr CM9 first shots

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Sigh.
    The front sight was launched into near Earth orbit in the first magazine. I hope it didn't hit the ISS.
    I emailed Kahr requesting that they send me a new sight.
    I put 50 more through the gun just for vetting, 100% function, controllable and no hand pain.
    Point shooting fast pairs I kept all rounds on(all over) a B-8.
    I bought the E9 - I assume "E for Economy model - and its plastic front sight held on for two magazines.
    They replaced it with the note on the ticket "Replace front sight with Black Max." That is the elastomer doped version of Loctite. It has held up for occasional use ever since. My CW9's sight is thus far secure.

Additionally, if I remember correctly, the barrel in the C series is of a lesser grade including not having polygonal rifling like the K or P series which have barrels made by Lothar Walther.
    And the slide stop is MIM vs machine cut.
    This is true, but so what? Why should we think a polygonal bore is superior and in a hideout gun at that?

My very crude looking E9 has the MIM slide stop. It also has a stop screw set into the frame, which appears to be located to keep the slide stop lug from whacking the notch hard enough to break it off.
    Note that the "machine cut" slide stop of the P series is fabricated, you can see the seam where the shaft is brazed into the lever. Or could when I was in the market, maybe they are all one piece now.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Went to lubricate my CM-9 before shooting and saw that the recoil spring endcap had unscrewed itself and went walkabout looking for the original front sight.
    Fortunately I'd ordered a spare recoil spring assembly when I ordered a spare magazine.
    That occurred at or before round #398. Comparing the new spring to the old, the old spring has shortened by about an inch.
    Installed the spare and went shooting.
    The gun performs very well. At 5 yards I can split down to .19 and hold the B-8 black. At 15 yards singles can be kept inside the 7 ring easily at speed.
    Recoil and muzzle flip are manageable, and there's no trigger slap or hand sting to my decrepit hand.
    I've only had one stoppage and that was in the first 50 rounds. It has fed 100 HST 124 and 50 9BPLE without a hitch.
    I lube before every session and have only wiped out the rails and bearing surfaces with a Q-tip.
    I'll be calling Kahr Monday about getting the original recoil spring replaced under warranty.

Emailed Kahr Sunday night and got a reply Monday AM stating that a new recoil spring assembly was being shipped. No need to return the old one.
    I got it in the mail today.
    I'm at 660 rounds through the gun. I've used warranty service twice. The first was an assembly defect, an improperly staked front sight. This last one likely could have been detected by me if I'd thought about it and Loctited in place.
    Overall, I'm satisfied with the gun, how it shoots and with Kahr service.
    I think the repeated cautionary advice on here has been to vet the gun and break it in as per the manual. Keep it lubed correctly and clean(ish).
    If there is a problem, immediately contact Kahr and let them handle it.
    The guns seem to either work quite well out of the box, or be immediate lemons.
    They are very small and light, even by newer mini-nine/mini-380 standards, and have very good triggers and sights. The recoil is quite manageable, and even for my decrepit hands not at all painful to shoot. By comparison, my LCP2 is a chore to shoot 50 rounds through.

User Tag List