Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent Experience with Magnaport ?

Site Supporter

Recent Experience with Magnaport ?

Does anyone have recent experience with having work done by Magnaport ?

I have a S&W 629 Mountain gun which I would like to get ported and a duty type action job, however it’s not clear from their website if they still do any action work.

Also considering an orange insert for the front sight.

I have a 686 I purchased used which had both porting and excellent action work done by Magnaport but I’m open to other suggestions for action work on the 629.

Mandatory photo of said 629.

Name:  C422AAB4-1C12-4AE4-96AD-F0B4E0569816.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  100.7 KB

Site Supporter
    Crickets…

I had my 629 Classic 5” Magna Poerted around ten or so years ago. I don’t remember if action work was an option then. It did take the edge off shooting full power loads. My local shop had some connection where several guys sent guns that were delivered by someone who frequently traveled that way so we didn’t have to pay for shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Crickets…
    You said "recent". My last Magnaport experience is about 10 years old. I had a Magnaported 44 Mountain gun and was satisfied with how well it mitigated recoil. The actual recoil was unchanged, but muzzle flip was significantly reduced. It was my second ported revolver and the recoil felt similar with both guns, muzzle flip was almost eliminated and the actual recoil remained roughly the same, but felt different somehow.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    You said "recent". My last Magnaport experience is about 10 years old. I had a Magnaported 44 Mountain gun and was satisfied with how well it mitigated recoil. The actual recoil was unchanged, but muzzle flip was significantly reduced. It was my second ported revolver and the recoil felt similar with both guns, muzzle flip was almost eliminated and the actual recoil remained roughly the same, but felt different somehow.
    Apparently 10 years is recent on PF !

This is exactly what I was looking for. I have a set of Houge Xframe grips the cover the back strap to address the actual recoil.

I spoke with them yesterday. They are not taking new action work due to a backlog but I think Im going to send the gun in for porting and the C more front sight blade.

They did mention that due to changes by UPS and Fed ex the gun would need to be shipped from /to an FFL. I asked about the Buds “Ship my gun” service and they said that would get the gun to them but they claimed they could not return the gun directly to me due to carrier requirements.

I'm a fan of "C" model Glocks (maybe the only one?) I wanted to build my own Gen 5 17C and my only option was Mag-na-port's "Autoporting" service.
    I had this done 2 years ago and I'm very happy with the whole process and end result. They are a little old school and their website/marketing is from 1998. Still, I'm a big fan.

Attachment 99707

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Apparently 10 years is recent on PF !

This is exactly what I was looking for. I have a set of Houge Xframe grips the cover the back strap to address the actual recoil.

I spoke with them yesterday. They are not taking new action work due to a backlog but I think Im going to send the gun in for porting and the C more front sight blade.

They did mention that due to changes by UPS and Fed ex the gun would need to be shipped from /to an FFL. I asked about the Buds “Ship my gun” service and they said that would get the gun to them but they claimed they could not return the gun directly to me due to carrier requirements.
    Those new requirements suck
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

If pistols have to go FFL to FFL… skip FedEx & UPS altogether & have your FFL send it via USPS Priority Mail. Saves a crap ton on shipping costs.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    If pistols have to go FFL to FFL… skip FedEx & UPS altogether & have your FFL send it via USPS Priority Mail. Saves a crap ton on shipping costs.
    Heavily insured, of course.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Heavily insured, of course. Any of the small package carriers could lose an elephant in a phone booth.
    -Thomas Jefferson

User Tag List