Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Did I accidentally buy a DAK?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Yep. That's a DAK. Here's mine. I got it for $379. LEO trade in about 3-4 years ago or so. The only sign that it had ever been out of the factory box was some minor (and very few) dings on the factory grip and on the right side only, so I know it was carried. But as far as I could tell this gun had never been fired outside of the factory. It was 100% finish except for the normal marking on the outside of the barrel. Very very light at that. The frame and slide were pristine. I damn near bought a 2nd one.

Attachment 99229
    are these Hogue grips? which ones if you remember?

Site Supporter
    I figured you were getting a DAK when you bought a DAO.

Years ago, I carried a P226 DAK in .357 Sig. the combo actually worked pretty well, and I’m one a handful, it seems, that likes the DAK.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    They are the Extreme Series G10. But when I click the link it says there are no products matching the selection. I don't know it that means they are out of stock or if they are discontinued. I did have to hunt for them and don't remember where I found them.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/sig-s.../p228-p229/dak

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheWolfman View Post
    Instead of trying to spot the hammer difference...like nubby instead of all the way up I think....
    As long as there is no decocker lever you know that it isn't DA/SA but either DAK or DAO right?

So what is the hammer difference DAO vs DAK to look for?
    Generally if there’s no decocker and the nubby hammer, it's a DAK. No decocker with a spurred hammer is usually a DAO.

Further SIGNESS re spotting in pics/GB....if it's a thinner front to back trigger that is the Short Reach Trigger but doesn't mean the Short Reset Trigger is necessarily installed though right?
    The thinner triggers are short reach triggers where the thicker ones are 'standard.' Short Reset Trigger (SRT) is an internal group of parts. They are both pretty easy to install by watching a YT video. If you're buying a gun that has its original box the label will say SRT if it's equipped but that's not to say someone couldn't have later installed SRT themselves, it's a very popular DA/SA upgrade.

Does a newer pistol that came with E2 grips means you may get either the short reset and/or short reach or is that totally dependent on models and mostly the more expensive ones?
    It can be very individually independent because SRT and E2 grips are popular upgrades. Look at the box label if it's available.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I going to go ahead and predict that if JCN finds the trigger to be extremely weird he will just see it as a new challenge and master it in about 3 hours. No, I'm not being facetious.
    If @JCN comes back and says he took a Dremel to it, made it into an ice swan, and then shot a 5 second FAST with the swan I wouldn't blink. Just think "that's on brand" and move on with my life.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Ive always liked the DAK. I just pretend it's a cheaper dao.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    That is good to know, thanks!

I was half thinking of getting a Bar-Sto Gen 5 G22 conversion barrel for 357 Sig thinking that might hold up too, with the heavier slide.

This P226 feels really good and balanced though…

I suppose I should shoot it some. I really like my P229s in 357 Sig though. Bought partially because FAM-boi lol.
    FAMS were definitely on the DA/SA train.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If @JCN comes back and says he took a Dremel to it, made it into an ice swan, and then shot a 5 second FAST with the swan I wouldn't blink. Just think "that's on brand" and move on with my life.
    Oh! That was too funny! Thanks you guys!

What I did do in the meantime was watch a YouTube video to figure out what you guys were talking about... I thought it was just a nice DAO...

Now that I realize what it's about... what a terrible idea, lol!

So I bought another one...

Just kidding, kind of.

Bought an ex-LEO P226 DASA 40SW for $500 so I can frankenSig it (thanks for the idea @GJM @HCM et al)

And @GearFondler I did come up with a training role for the DAK... high capacity surrogate for revolver trigger finger strength training at speed. The trigger weight, length and full reset is similar to my competition 929... this way I can get some reps in with recoil and not have to deal with moon clips and dirty cylinders.

I think tomorrow is going to be a P229 and P226 range day! I just wish my Legion slide would get back from milling sometime soon....

Site Supporter
    Yep. That's a DAK. Here's mine. I got it for $379. LEO trade in about 3-4 years ago or so. The only sign that it had ever been out of the factory box was some minor (and very few) dings on the factory grip and on the right side only, so I know it was carried. But as far as I could tell this gun had never been fired outside of the factory. It was 100% finish except for the normal marking on the outside of the barrel. Very very light at that. The frame and slide were pristine. I damn near bought a 2nd one.

Attachment 99229
    Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    They are the Extreme Series G10. But when I click the link it says there are no products matching the selection. I don't know it that means they are out of stock or if they are discontinued. I did have to hunt for them and don't remember where I found them.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/sig-s.../p228-p229/dak
    The Hogue G10 grips are legit.

They may have discontinued the DAK specific grips but regular SIG grips work fine on DAK guns.

Site Supporter
    My .357 P239 was originally a DAK.

I actually bought it to try DAK more than I bought it try .357 SIG. At that point, I was seeing the merits of a “one pull” trigger situation, and I liked the idea of an “easier” DAO.

Long story short: My DAK became a DA/SA in pretty short order.

I honestly shot the DAK worse than normal DAO. Yes, it was lighter (using the full reset, anyway). But I feel like it released the hammer earlier in the stroke… so… kinda overtravel-y. It was harder to keep the gun stable when the hammer fell. I’d get shots straying high and to the right. My groups are tighter decocking between shots on the TDA.

DAK is a cool idea. Just didn’t really click with me.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 12-29-2022 at 07:23 PM.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

User Tag List