25 78.13%
  • PCC Comp 19

6 18.75%
  • Mods here are shit

2 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: GP100 or PCC Comp 19?

For a field revolver, a five-inch .357 Magnum is hard to beat. Of course, I am a fan of five-inch revolvers, including ones in .44-40 and .44 Magnum. A five-inch GP100 is great for everything except perhaps concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    One-handed shooting at the defensive pistol matches I attended.

I had an HK for a week or two. Traded it off. I can't afford the magazines. I did like the interchangeable side panels.
    That’s another nice thing about revolvers, you don’t have to stock up on mags!

[QUOTE=SwampDweller;1554954]That’s another nice thing about revolvers, you don’t have to stock up on mags![/QUO

Not exactly, grasshopper-prepare to obtain multiple speedloaders/speed strips/moon clips, pouches etc.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Essentially, it's a standard 4" Stainless 6 Shot GP100, but with TK Custom's "Basic Action Job" and Cylinder Chamber Honing. For $1285.

The 5" half-lug GP100 would end up being $951 out the door.

What kind of action job/internal improvements would you do to the factory GP100? Also, would these be for reliability reasons, and would you do them yourself? Is there anyone you could recommend for such work?

EDIT: Here is TK's description of the Basic Action Job:
    I do wonder if this would make it less reliable with ammunition using other-than-Federal primers...

EDIT again: The ONLY reason I'm considering a TK Custom GP100 is because hopefully, any potential QC issues with a factory GP100 such as timing would be corrected by TK Custom during the action job before it ever reaches my hands. Essentially, my interest in a custom job lies entirely within what I perceive to be an extra QC check.
    Unless you know the owner, or the custom work guarantee (if any) transfers with the gun, or if you can handle and shoot the gun (or have a time window after purchase that you can return the gun for a full refund) I'd be pretty wary about inheriting someone else's' action job/customization. I'd recommend the 5" half lug; if there are initial QC issues, Ruger's Warranty/Customer Service has a superb reputation for making things right.

If you want, I can escan Iowegan's GP100 IBOK (Iowegan Book Of Knowledge), although if you troll the Ruger forums, there might be a downloadable copy on their resource page.

I had mine professionally gunsmithed. Two that I'd recommend would be Rick Devoid on the east coast and Chris at C.a.R. Gunsmith here in Washington.

Experimentation with springing can be useful (and pretty easy to do); I don't recommend going beneath a 12# mainspring, (I've settled on the OEM Ruger 14# one), and an ISMI heavier (I think 10#) trigger return spring.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Unless you know the owner, or the custom work guarantee (if any) transfers with the gun, or if you can handle and shoot the gun (or have a time window after purchase that you can return the gun for a full refund) I'd be pretty wary about inheriting someone else's' action job/customization. I'd recommend the 5" half lug; if there are initial QC issues, Ruger's Warranty/Customer Service has a superb reputation for making things right.

If you want, I can escan Iowegan's GP100 IBOK (Iowegan Book Of Knowledge), although if you troll the Ruger forums, there might be a downloadable copy on their resource page.

I had mine professionally gunsmithed. Two that I'd recommend would be Rick Devoid on the east coast and Chris at C.a.R. Gunsmith here in Washington.

Experimentation with springing can be useful (and pretty easy to do); I don't recommend going beneath a 12# mainspring, (I've settled on the OEM Ruger 14# one), and an ISMI heavier (I think 10#) trigger return spring.

Best, Jon
    Here is what I'm talking about: https://tkcustom.com/products/ruger-...8-357-revolver

You can choose what kind of work you want done. I was just gonna do the basic action job and chamber honing. But I am leaning towards getting the half-lug as I'm already sending one GP100 off to Gemini Custom.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Here is what I'm talking about: https://tkcustom.com/products/ruger-...8-357-revolver

You can choose what kind of work you want done. I was just gonna do the basic action job and chamber honing. But I am leaning towards getting the half-lug as I'm already sending one GP100 off to Gemini Custom.
    The Gemini Customs work will ruin one for a stock Ruger DA revolver. I got my first custom Ruger, a Mag-Na-Port Predator in 1991, and a Weigand "Tame the Beast" SP101 in 1995. Thought I knew good Ruger work. Got a Gemini "Red Dragon" three-inch SP101 in 2006, and it was a life changer. That revolver paid for itself by winning bets about shots I could make, including a series of fifty-yard hits that my sister-in-law could not believe I could repeatedly make with that 'little gun". My Gemini GP100 is just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The Gemini Customs work will ruin one for a stock Ruger DA revolver. I got my first custom Ruger, a Mag-Na-Port Predator in 1991, and a Weigand "Tame the Beast" SP101 in 1995. Thought I knew good Ruger work. Got a Gemini "Red Dragon" three-inch SP101 in 2006, and it was a life changer. That revolver paid for itself by winning bets about shots I could make, including a series of fifty-yard hits that my sister-in-law could not believe I could repeatedly make with that 'little gun". My Gemini GP100 is just as good.
    Good to hear. I'm having some troubles printing the shipping label through his website, so I sent an email and am waiting to hear back. Maybe I'll just get the half lug 5" blued and shoot that while I wait on my 4" stainless GP100 to get Geminized, then if I like the work enough I'll send the 5" one to him.

I went ahead and ordered the half-lug 5" GP100!

got it from Castle Arms: https://thecastlearms.com/product/gp...lue-5-half-lug

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    All I know is that picture made me remember buying the latest issue of Shooting Times at the drugstore and reading Skeeter Skelton's contribution(s) first.

Good times...
    I was looking up articles on the half-lug I just ordered and found this.

Name:  skeltondreamgun.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  82.7 KB

I really like that 5" Ruger a lot

User Tag List