6 18.75%
  • Mods here are shit

2 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: GP100 or PCC Comp 19?

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    I really like that 5" Ruger a lot
    I ordered it from Castle Arms. They're still in stock. I actually couldn't/can't find it in stock anywhere else so I guess I got in just in time for the distributor exclusive

https://thecastlearms.com/product/gp...lue-5-half-lug

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I ordered it from Castle Arms. They're still in stock. I actually couldn't/can't find it in stock anywhere else so I guess I got in just in time for the distributor exclusive

https://thecastlearms.com/product/gp...lue-5-half-lug
    Aesthetically, that particular GP-100 variant is about as appealing as they get this day and age.

That gun in a tan Simply Rugged 120 holster with basketweave tooling would be a beautiful tip o' the hat to the old days.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks! I handled it last night but couldn't talk myself into taking it home at $800 plus tax. They haven't had it long enough to want to haggle yet and I've got one project I'm starting soon and another rifle I'd rather track down right now.
    These are round butt right? I was looking for something else on the "Gun Parts Shelf of Doom" and found a set of round butt K/L Pachs I'd forgotten about. I'm pretty sure that's a sign...
    So guess what happens when you start surfing GB against your better judgement, you have a set of Goodyears you'd forgotten about AND a fixed rear sight you bought on a whim? This. This is what happens: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1036584355
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I got my new 5” half lug GP100 on Wednesday. It sure is a looker! The look and feel is more reminiscent of a Security Six or 1970s S&W than a normal GP100, the 5” half lug barrel gives it excellent balance and handling characteristics. Unfortunately I’m out of town this weekend so I won’t be able to shoot it until this coming Tuesday, and boy am I looking forward to it!

The only thing I’m conflicted about is that while the grips are beautiful and feel very good, I doubt they’ll be very comfortable to shoot much full power .357 Magnum with. From a shooting standpoint I want to put a Hogue Tamer grip on, but that would defeat the aesthetic and feel so much. Im sure with .38 it would be fine, but I just got 450 rounds of 158gr Federal AE Magnum ammo I wanted to dip into when I take it out.

Unfortunately, this potato of a phone cannot upload the photo I took of it, and I’m out of town without a computer.

So guess what happens when you start surfing GB against your better judgement, you have a set of Goodyears you'd forgotten about AND a fixed rear sight you bought on a whim? This. This is what happens: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1036584355
    Hey, maybe we are Brothers From Another Mother...

Traded a while back with a member here.
    Already had the leaky hole plugged, I added the sight and grips and Apex hammer.

Name:  MMc 686P.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  49.6 KB

And recently had @Tony Mayer make me an OWB-1, one of those things he does that are not on the list:

Name:  MMc 686 JMCK.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  47.9 KB

@SwampDweller That things sure is cool. The blue one has the most panache, but I would want a stainless. Since I do not have any 4" guns currently, a 5" would make perfect sense to go with the 3" 686 and SP-101.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Hey, maybe we are Brothers From Another Mother...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I shot a couple hundred rounds through my 5" blued half-lug GP100 yesterday. As pretty as the wood grips are, they don't make shooting full power 158gr .357 Magnum all that fun. I'm hoping to get to the range tomorrow to shoot it again and I put a Hogue Tamer grip on it in preparation. The gun shoots very nice, and I was surprised how much of a difference the extra inch in barrel (and half lug) make a difference in shooting characteristics.

Only thing: Much like my first GP100, the rear sight pin likes to try to walk out throughout shooting a box of Magnums (doesn't happen with Specials). Doing some brief googling, it seems this isn't all that uncommon. Anyone got any experiences with this and a good fix? It doesn't come out, and I can just push it back in with the head of a casing, but I'd like to stop it altogether.

Anyone got any experiences with this and a good fix?
    I do not have any experience, but I bet a tiny drop of blue Loctite on both sides of the pin but would probably be a solution. Maybe do one side at a time, leaving it overnight?

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I shot a couple hundred rounds through my 5" blued half-lug GP100 yesterday. As pretty as the wood grips are, they don't make shooting full power 158gr .357 Magnum all that fun. I'm hoping to get to the range tomorrow to shoot it again and I put a Hogue Tamer grip on it in preparation. The gun shoots very nice, and I was surprised how much of a difference the extra inch in barrel (and half lug) make a difference in shooting characteristics.

Only thing: Much like my first GP100, the rear sight pin likes to try to walk out throughout shooting a box of Magnums (doesn't happen with Specials). Doing some brief googling, it seems this isn't all that uncommon. Anyone got any experiences with this and a good fix? It doesn't come out, and I can just push it back in with the head of a casing, but I'd like to stop it altogether.
    For minor things (like rear sight pins that wander over time), people have long used use varnish, linseed oil, clear nail polish, electrical potting compounds or whatever swamp goo they prefer. I think nowadays the general answer is some sort of commercial-grade "threadlocker" or "retaining compound" sparingly applied to the end(s) of the installed pin.

There are a couple of old-fashioned methods of dealing with pins that walk out, but most modern gunowners don't/won't resort to them.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

All 3 of my GPs did this. The correct way is to source oversized pins, I didn't have any patience for that so I used 2 methods found on the interweb.

1 - take the pin out and slightly flatten one end. I did mine with a 4 ounce ball peen and used the anvil on my vice. Replace by inserting non flattened end first. The flattened end should be slightly larger than the hole and will lock in.

2- take pin and ever so slightly bend pin in the middle and reinstall. I may have over bent mine causing minor difficulties to get back in and sometimes will walk a tony amount.

The first way did the best and is the least aggravating to do and the one I recommend.

User Tag List