Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Beretta 92FS!

New Beretta 92FS!

New acquisition. Can’t wait to get to the range this afternoon. I ordered some aluminum grips and a stainless steel guide rod to replace some of the plastic parts. This should be a good shooter. I’ll be super happy if it works as good as my 1301. Name:  B2653901-83CF-4CD2-BE34-A75435CEFF42.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  58.6 KB

Hope your new pistol functions perfectly! About 3 weeks ago I bought an Italian made 92A1. I debated between an M9A1 and the 92A1. My overriding concern was quality of the Italian vs TN made pistol. In the end I got the one made in Italy.

Upon inspection, the muzzle of the barrel was skewed to the left, from about 10 o'clock to 7 o'clock position. Literally no light between the barrel and slide. Conversely, on the right side, more than enough light between the barrel and slide. I was disappointed but when I shoot it for the first time I'll keep a check on POA/POI. My commercial M9, which is at least 15 years old, has its barrel perfectly centered. Go figure.

It’s never good to hear about poor quality issues. I will post up a range function report on this one soon. This is my first Beretta pistol. I’ve got some learning to do.

Welcome to the Party Pal!

Hammer Spring from LTT or Wilson to about 13# would be the biggest difference for least money fyi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Hope your new pistol functions perfectly! About 3 weeks ago I bought an Italian made 92A1. I debated between an M9A1 and the 92A1. My overriding concern was quality of the Italian vs TN made pistol. In the end I got the one made in Italy.

Upon inspection, the muzzle of the barrel was skewed to the left, from about 10 o'clock to 7 o'clock position. Literally no light between the barrel and slide. Conversely, on the right side, more than enough light between the barrel and slide. I was disappointed but when I shoot it for the first time I'll keep a check on POA/POI. My commercial M9, which is at least 15 years old, has its barrel perfectly centered. Go figure.
    I've had 3 different Beretta 92s (2015, 1993ish and 1989)--none of them have had perfectly centered barrels. All of them have been tack drivers. I even emailed Beretta customer service about it, they said it's perfectly normal. If you do some Googling on the subject, you find it's very common with 92s.

Nevertheless...

It's still a mystery how 92s shoot to POA with the front sight (slightly) misaligned to the bore. At the least, I don't think the barrels are angled as they sit in the slide--in other words, the whole barrel is over a mm or two and it remains parallel with the slide. So, maybe it's merely a matter of 1-2mms being inconsequential in hitting POA? But I have read theories that the falling block action ends up naturally centering the barrel upon recoil... which you can't see, of course, when it's in battery. But no one's been able to confirm that's actually what's happening.

I don't know. But I wouldn't be too concerned about it? My cockeyed 92s have been among my most accurate, best-shooting handguns.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post

I understand your concern but will say that I've had a couple of these pistols with barrels not centered and they shot to point of aim. Like you, I would prefer a centered barrel. In the past I had opportunity to buy used but excellent pistols from a dealer who sold only used guns. He bought many estate collections. I never had a "bad" 92 FS but did see a few made unreliable by after market rubber grips. Now that Beretta lost the government contract, I fear that the once stellar quality control might subside.

I always resisted the urge to replace the mainspring with a lighter spring and discovered that firing a few 100 rounds smoothed these pistols enough to satisfy me. Of course, there's zero wrong with installing a D spring it that's one's aim.

Shot a couple hundred rounds of about half and half 124 grain and some 147 reloads. The gun had no malfunctions. My son, who is much more capable than I was very accurate with both SA and DA. I on the other hand was struggling with the trigger. It is going to take some practice for me to get used to it.

Danthewolfman, can you give me a little insight on what the hammer spring changes are all about?

I had a Wilson Brig Tac that came with the barrel off-center a little. Wilson said it was within spec and it shot fine. I think it's just something more noticeable with the Beretta open top slide. I bet if we X-rayed a lot of closed top slides there would be off center barrels in guns that shoot just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Now that Beretta lost the government contract, I fear that the once stellar quality control might subside.
    The military M9s were all US made on completely different production lines compared to the commercial 92’s, yes? How do you think the end of the contract could affect QC? It’s also my understanding that commercial 92 pistols have updated locking blocks that the military M9s couldn’t have.

At the gun shop I work at, since 2020, Beretta pistols (92s at least, we don’t really get anything else from them) have been the only manufacturer who hasn’t had a pistol come back to send off for warranty. The only others in that category have been H&K and Glock. One of the things I’ve admired most about Beretta is that they have maintained excellent QC consistently over the years whereas most other companies have had ups and downs (or just down in the case of Sig)

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheWolfman View Post
    Welcome to the Party Pal!

Hammer Spring from LTT or Wilson to about 13# would be the biggest difference for least money fyi
    Will this improve the double action trigger pull?

User Tag List