Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Beretta 92FS!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CZ Man View Post
    So have they fixed the issues? Or are the new Beretta's from TN still hit or miss? I'm interested in picking up an FS model just like the OP. Wondering if I should hold out for a used one from MD?
    They’ve gotten better, but they are not up to the old MD quality level.

If you’re buying a Tennessee made gun, buy a new one, and make sure you closely examine it and perform some basic function checks.

I’ll be looking for things like sharp edges and whether the sights (not the barrel) are centered.

Site Supporter
    Re: Beretta 92s made in TN

Sample size of 3
    1. 92 LTT Elite from Langdon Tactical - no defects apparent for 4 years, but broke a frame rail just shy of 20k rds fired.
    2. 92 LTT Elite Centurion frame purchased from a private party - mag well is tight - so tight that loaded, 17 rd grey sand-resistant mags rub and won’t drop free.
    3. 92 LTT Elite from Langdon Tactical- had tight magwell described above, but even worse - most mags wouldn’t drop free, and had to be forced in and out. Langdon Tactical is fixing it for me.

I have 5 other, older Beretta 92s, made in MD and Italy, and no defects apparent.

I’ve probably been unlucky with TN-made guns, but my plan is to only buy LTT guns from Langdon Tactical going forward. They’ve stood behind guns I bought from them, and always made it right. I highly recommend them for both quality of work and customer service.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They’ve gotten better, but they are not up to the old MD quality level.

If you’re buying a Tennessee made gun, buy a new one, and make sure you closely examine it and perform some basic function checks.

I’ll be looking for things like sharp edges and whether the sights (not the barrel) are centered.
    And ensure that magazines drop free - tight mag wells are a thing in recent production.

Oh, and speaking of centered sights - I have 2 92A4 Compact slides. Both came with sights essentially centered.
    One shoots exactly to POA. The other was 1.75” left at 7 yds - with two different barrels. Correcting the POI required drifting the rear sight full right, and the front sight 75% to the left. So centered sights are a good start, but not always the right setup for a given slide.
    Oh, and both slides were made in TN.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 12-31-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    And ensure that magazines drop free - tight mag wells are a thing in recent production.
    Yes.

The first post, Tennessee production gun, I attempted to buy was a Wilson brigadier.

These guns were unavailable for a long period of time during the transition from Maryland to Tennessee production. A local gun store got some in stock, and after thoroughly examining the display case model I told them I would take it. The Clark said he would get one from the back per their policy. Luckily, I insisted on repeating my full examination on the gun from the back. Turns out the gun from the back had an issue with the magazine catch / well. You could insert a magazine, and it would appear to be fully inserted, but it was not. If you pull the slide back with an empty magazine in place, the magazine was too low for the follower to engage the slide catch. It exhibited the same issue with the mags from the properly functioning display gun.

Suffice to say, I want to find a display gun, which has been excellent except for a sharp edge on the grip tang.

Site Supporter
    I picked up 5 TN 92 last year and all were fantastic with no cosmetic or run-time issues.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You know what did effect Beretta quality ? The move from MD to TN.

Prior to Beretta’s move from Maryland to Tennessee, saw exactly one defective Beretta, pistol, and Italian made 92 A1.

Things have gotten better, but in the first two years after the move to Tennessee, I saw multiple defective guns. Guns it did not shoot to point of aim, a Gun, with the magazine, catch hole cut into the frame in the wrong place sucks that a magazine could be inserted, but not locked into place, guns with sharp edges that drew blood etc.

As for Glocks, being perfection, ha, I wouldn’t buy a Glock sight unseen. They’ve had plenty of lemons.

Most guns get purchased and shot once, or never shot at all. Plus a lack of warranty returns. Does not necessarily equal a lot of problems.
    @willie I don’t know much about todays TN guns, I only buy Italian Berettas. Do y’all think there’s any reason to believe that the Italian ones will suffer in the QC department?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    @willie I don’t know much about todays TN guns, I only buy Italian Berettas. Do y’all think there’s any reason to believe that the Italian ones will suffer in the QC department?
    My guess is no. Occasionally, I'll see new Italian 92FS pistols that are out right beautiful. Most of my shooting has been with this version. When techs fail to properly install grips or magazine releases, and when inspectors fail to catch these errors, we wonder what else is happening. I do have faith in Beretta, though.

Once I called the Maryland factory and ended up talking with a helpful rep. This guy did warranty repair. I gave an opinion with which he agreed. Then I asked if he had shared this information with his superiors. He laughed and said that the people above him did not want, seek, or listen to anything that the peons told them. That has been my experience in the various so-called professional jobs I've had. All top down. It seems that when some folks get promoted, their brain turns to shit.

Is there any way to pick up a new Italian 92 FS these days? Are all the new ones states side coming from TN only?

Site Supporter
    Is there any way to pick up a new Italian 92 FS these days? Are all the new ones states side coming from TN only?
    I see used but as new traded in at my lgs. My dealer marks them down because he pays little. The next time I see one, I'll pm you. Bud's used to have them. I'll research this for you. Will give me something to do. The Maryland specimens are nice too.

Beretta is difficult to predict. You never know what they will do next.

I found a source for Italian 92fs's.
    Last edited by willie; 12-31-2022 at 10:34 PM.

Site Supporter

Italian B92FS

I sent you a pm with a source. Said to be in stock.

User Tag List