Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glock 34 issue

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I don’t think it’s the screw for one reason.

The barrel in the slide will keep the screw from coming completely out. It will not keep the front sight from getting loose and it’s proximity to the barrel is why I use red Loctite on the front sight because it sits literally right above the barrel (I don’t have measurements - but I’d say less than 1/10th of an inch).

I had a front sight wobbling loosely once and couldn’t figure out what my problem was with shooting that day. The front sight was loose and moved when I bumped it. It’s probably my one legitimate gripe with Glocks - I think they should use the same dovetail for the front sight as they do the rear.

To take things further - on one of my Glock 34 Gen 5 the front sight had been installed with red loctite. When I went to change the sights to RDS height sights I figured let’s see if the screw would loosen without heat (again red Loctite requires heat to loosen). Sure enough it did - no lighter or warming up required again because of how close it is to the barrel on that end of the slide.

It has me contemplating green loctite. I’m interested to see how this goes!
    I’ve seen the heads of Glock sight screws shear off… maybe?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve seen the heads of Glock sight screws shear off… maybe?
    True! I’m just giving my opinion - I regret how matter of fact that was.
    God Bless,

Brandon

True! I’m just giving my opinion - I regret how matter of fact that was.
    I phrased that poorly, I agree with you that it would be tough for a screw to get too far unless is self destructed. I was just spitballing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Thanks for all the input.

I'm very curious to see:

a.) How Glock gets this thing apart without destroying something in the process (fingers crossed they can, as this is a well fit frame, slide and barrel) and
    b.) What the root cause of the issue is

I've a ton of rounds through Glocks and not run into or even heard of this issue before now.

I personally would simply let Glock handle it. Their CS has long been known to be exceptional, so you can expect that they will take care of you. It is what they do. It would be better to have them handle it than a local shop honestly, where the person working on the gun could be virtually anyone with who knows what kind of background. I have seen some serious goobers who thought that they were SMEs on anything and everything, since they surf arfcom and glocktokk all night. They probably had been fired from Jiffy lube a few months earlier.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I personally would simply let Glock handle it. Their CS has long been known to be exceptional, so you can expect that they will take care of you. It is what they do. It would be better to have them handle it than a local shop honestly, where the person working on the gun could be virtually anyone with who knows what kind of background. I have seen some serious goobers who thought that they were SMEs on anything and everything, since they surf arfcom and glocktokk all night. They probably had been fired from Jiffy lube a few months earlier.
    He indicated he had in the original post. I missed that and started offering ideas.

I’m not sure if this was an overall advisement or specified towards me. But, I figured just point it out. I was under the impression he hadn’t yet and gave my advice before saying what step I would ultimately send it back to Glock then realized he already had.

Now we just need to know if it was the sight screw!
    God Bless,

Brandon

He indicated he had in the original post. I missed that and started offering ideas.

I’m not sure if this was an overall advisement or specified towards me. But, I figured just point it out. I was under the impression he hadn’t yet and gave my advice before saying what step I would ultimately send it back to Glock then realized he already had.

Nothing towards you BWT or anyone else.

It was really a positive comment about Glock customer service. Some of the companies are hit and miss in that department. My experience with Glock has been excellent.

I’m kind of thinking that if it were a sight screw, the sight would have launched itself off the gun with the subsequent shot. I’m going to vote recoil spring barf, but I hope the OP updates us what Glock finds!

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I’m kind of thinking that if it were a sight screw, the sight would have launched itself off the gun with the subsequent shot. I’m going to vote recoil spring barf, but I hope the OP updates us what Glock finds!
    Well, I got my G34 back today and unfortunately can't definitively say what the issue was. There were no notes as to what they did to get the gun operable.

Glock changed a number of parts that were on the paperwork, but given they also returned my old (both stock and non-stock) components back to me too and seem to have gone through the gun and magazine replacing things just because.

The only component I don't have two of now is the trigger spring. So there's a possibility that was the problem part. Still not sure why that would lock up the gun (with all of the slide components removed) and not allow the slide to be removed though.

User Tag List