Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 34 issue

Glock 34 issue

I just sent this off to the mothership at Smyrna, but curious if the PF brain trust could diagnose the issue.

This G34.5 is new-ish in the last ~2 months and has about 1,500-2,000 through the pipe. Extremely happy with it until this unfortunate problem.

The gun will not go back into battery fully, so it's dead and I can't for the life of me get it to return to battery. I removed the slide internals, but the barrel will still not tilt back up into battery and sit on top of the locking block as it should. The barrel is clear and I can't see anything wrong with it visually.

The barrel and slide will move freely on the frame and the barrel within the slide until it tries to lock back up, at which point it binds trying to return to battery. I've used some mechanical persuasion but still can't get the slide and barrel to tilt back into battery so I can get the slide off the frame, even without all the internals in the slide.

Name:  IMG-0464.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  28.9 KB

Site Supporter
    I ran into this once -

so I can get the slide off the frame, even without all the internals in the slide.
    I see what you’re saying, but taking off the back plate I was able to get it to come apart. I see the extractor is removed in the picture.

I might try sling shotting the slide as well.

I forget how I solved this but one of my Glock 34 Gen 5’s did this and never did it again. I might try re-installing the components as well and cycling the slide.

Let me know if this works.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I ran into this once -

I see what you’re saying, but taking off the back plate I was able to get it to come apart. I see the extractor is removed in the picture.

I might try sling shotting the slide as well.

I forget how I solved this but one of my Glock 34 Gen 5’s did this and never did it again. I might try re-installing the components as well and cycling the slide.

Let me know if this works.
    I did remove all of the internals trying to get the slide off of the frame. I know you can't see that in the picture, but the striker, backplate, ejector depressor plunger and spring, extractor and firing pin block are all out of the slide. There shouldn't be anything in the fire control group holding the gun out of battery at this point, but it still won't fully cycle and return to battery and unfortunately, I can't field strip the gun like this to figure out what's the matter.

Believe me I cycled the slide vigorously as well as beat on the rear of the slide to try to get it to return fully. It won't budge.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    I did remove all of the internals trying to get the slide off of the frame. I know you can't see that in the picture, but the striker, backplate, ejector depressor plunger and spring, extractor and firing pin block are all out of the slide. There shouldn't be anything in the fire control group holding the gun out of battery at this point, but it still won't fully cycle and return to battery and unfortunately, I can't field strip the gun like this to figure out what's the matter.

Believe me I cycled the slide vigorously as well as beat on the rear of the slide to try to get it to return fully. It won't budge.
    Apologies - I saw the extractor removed, assumed that and modified parts of my post but not all.

Do you have a set of pins/punches?

ETA:

Do you have any snap caps?
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Apologies - I saw the extractor removed, assumed that and modified parts of my post but not all.

Do you have a set of pins/punches?

ETA:

Do you have any snap caps?
    Both, but the slide won't return to battery, so snap caps won't help I don't believe.

I could drop one in the barrel, but it'll still just sit there out of battery and not have the trigger reset. I tried that with live rounds.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

Name:  IMG-0464.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  28.9 KB
    Hmm. I had an aftermarket barrel that did this, but it was obvious before I fired it. Just took very light filing where you have the arrows shown.

You said you can't remove the slide, if I'm reading this right. But it moves on the frame. Can you pull it back enough to poke something up the magwell, raise the barrel, and remove it from there?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Hmm. I had an aftermarket barrel that did this, but it was obvious before I fired it. Just took very light filing where you have the arrows shown.

You said you can't remove the slide, if I'm reading this right. But it moves on the frame. Can you pull it back enough to poke something up the magwell, raise the barrel, and remove it from there?
    It was a well fit stock barrel, but not overly tight, with well over 1K rounds through it. Point being, it was a well functioning firearm until it wasn't.

It's not the barrel, unless something catastrophic occurred that isn't visible like on the bottom locking lug, or the locking block itself. There's nothing in the rear of the locking surface or front locking surface that's visible that would prevent it going up into battery.

Unfortunately, you can't get the barrel out the way you suggest. It's one way on and off that requires it fitting up into the recess for the locking surfaces in the slide first.

It was a well fit stock barrel, but not overly tight, with well over 1K rounds through it. Point being, it was a well functioning firearm until it wasn't.

It's not the barrel, unless something catastrophic occurred that isn't visible like on the bottom locking lug, or the locking block itself. There's nothing in the rear of the locking surface or front locking surface that's visible that would prevent it going up into battery.

Unfortunately, you can't get the barrel out the way you suggest. It's one way on and off that requires it fitting up into the recess for the locking surfaces in the slide first.
    I’ve had recoil springs have a coil jump off the rod and get stuck / wedged locking up the barrel.

Site Supporter
    So, I'm going to make several suggestions.

Caution: Take the real bullets and put them in another room.

1.) Lubricate this gun. Lubricate it like it's going to have to be shipped back to Glock if this idea doesn't work. Cycle the 5-10 times. Oil the back of the barrel, slide, the front of the barrel, under up into the gun mag well.

2.) Re-install the striker assembly, extractor, back plate, etc.

3.) Grab your snap cap, load it in a magazine and attempt to cycle it - see if it will load it. I believe (and it's been months...) that worked for me. But then, you have a snap cap loaded and not a real bullet, so you can pull the trigger (not launch a round through your house, etc.), and if this works, depress the trigger, pull down the ears and bob's your uncle she's taken apart. Look for any oddities. I could not find anything and never ran into it again (as you can observe in the attached photo... she's seen a few rounds since then).

4.) If this doesn't work let's attempt the following. Load that snap cap into the magazine, let the slide go and chamber that as far as it will. I've attached an image of the back of a snap cap looking into the mag well (the iPhone didn't focus great, but you see enough to know what you're looking at and I circled it in red, etc.). This is fully seated and round chambered for reference. You should see more of the back of a not yet chambered round. From that point, take a punch set (something small diameter, but round enough), and tap it and see if it'll seat further forward. Don't go wild with this, but I think give it several light taps and see what happens. Make sure you've oiled the top of the barrel as it lock into battery. Worst case scenario you mar up a snap cap some. (ETA: What I'm picturing is you're producing upward pressure on the base of the snap cap from the bottom of the gun to try to push the barrel up and into battery, etc.)

Name:  G34.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  52.0 KB

If this doesn't work, I might try without the striker, extractor, and back plate, etc. as well.

I would also contact Glock as well. I might try seating a magazine (with snap caps) firmly and tapping the bottom of it as well just to see what happens, but I wouldn't push on the slide anymore as I don't think that's going to resolve this, but I could be wrong. Try slide lock, insert mag with snap cap, and hitting the slide release. Again, if it chambers a snap cap you can take it apart.

Food for thought - I'll say a prayer for you man! I hope this turns around. I love my Gen 5 Glock 34's.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I’ve had recoil springs have a coil jump off the rod and get stuck / wedged locking up the barrel.
    How'd you get it apart?

Glock doesn't have any suggestions other than to send it back.

User Tag List