Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: TAURUS 856 TORO- Red dot optic equipped revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    Can I ask a dumb question? Why not copy the Galloway spring at the factory?
    Because the Galloway spring won't give 100% ignition regardless of primer, and if some hilljack buys the gun and it won't set off his Argentinian milsurp 38 Special with primers harder than woodpecker lips he's going to complain.

It's easier to build a gun that's going to work for the lowest common denominator and then let smart people make it work better for them.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Because the Galloway spring won't give 100% ignition regardless of primer, and if some hilljack buys the gun and it won't set off his Argentinian milsurp 38 Special with primers harder than woodpecker lips he's going to complain.

It's easier to build a gun that's going to work for the lowest common denominator and then let smart people make it work better for them.

Thanks, I figured that was going to be the answer.

Site Supporter
    Recommendations for gear for the 856 Toro? I need an AiWB holster, an OWB holster, speedloaders, pouches, and of course a RDS.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Recommendations for gear for the 856 Toro? I need an AiWB holster, an OWB holster, speedloaders, pouches, and of course a RDS.
    Phlster has AIWB holsters coming, and Harry's Holsters has ones out already. Not a lot for OWB but a sufficiently relieved SP101 holster should work. For speed loaders you'll need either Colt D frame loaders from HKS or Speed Beez K-frame loaders. RDS: just get a 507k

Site Supporter
    Phlster has AIWB holsters coming, and Harry's Holsters has ones out already. Not a lot for OWB but a sufficiently relieved SP101 holster should work. For speed loaders you'll need either Colt D frame loaders from HKS or Speed Beez K-frame loaders. RDS: just get a 507k
    Thank you!

Would one of these stand up to a 9mm conversion if you could get tk or such to cut it for the conversion and moon clips?

Jason

Site Supporter
    I don't see the Harry's Holster on the website. Am I missing something?

I happen to know that DSG can provide a good AIWB fit, as well.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    Would one of these stand up to a 9mm conversion if you could get tk or such to cut it for the conversion and moon clips?

Jason
    Cylinder walls are too thin. Stop notch cut directly over the chamber to accommodate the 6th round almost certainly doesn't leave enough metal for the higher pressure cartridges. It's not a problem unique to the Taurus 856. S&W magnum Ks had a similar setup, and even with a considerably larger cylinder the early guns still had a reputation for cylinder failures at the notch with sustained .357 use.

Compare to Kimber's K6, where they cut the stop notch as offset as possible (which required placing the cylinder stop just under the sideplate; you can't move it any further out). That was both larger (IIRC) and a clean-sheet-of-paper design. I assume Taurus wanted to reuse their existing frames, which limited where they could put the notch/stop.

If the 6-shot cylinder squeezed into a J-size-frame could safely handle 35,000psi they'd probably just chamber it in .357 and get both the people who wanted the 856 as it stands today in addition to the people who just absolutely have to have it in .357 magnum. Mostly so they can shoot six magnum rounds through it and then let it be a .38 for the rest of its life.

Site Supporter
    Heck I probably won’t even shoot plus P through mine, wadcutters followed up by the best standard pressure load I can find that shoots close to the same point of aim is my plan.

User Tag List