Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cheap knives

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Only downside is the smooth aluminum handle. Anyone know what I could coat or treat the handle with to get traction but not get gross from food or critter blood? The Pixie had a dark non-slip coating which worked pretty well.
    I don't understand why more knives don't have knurling. Here's my solution:

Dragongrips decals
    https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Grips-Hex/dp/B07DD69HKJ/

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    ...applied DragonGrip decals to the new knife.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    In buying knives I have never been disappointed with knives made in Taiwan.

Site Supporter
    Both the Cat and Chicago from the Spyderco Budget Line are made in Taiwan. Absolutely exceed the intersection of Quality/Value.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    I recently lost a nice Spyderco Manix and was looking for an inexpensive replacement. I found a lot of brands that were new to me, Sitivien, Civivi, Sencut and others. I ended up buying a Sitivien ST124 for $30. My last cheap knife purchase was a Byrd Harrier 2 and it was about $50. My biggest worry with cheap knives were poorly fitted liner locks. Thats why I purchased the Harrier 2 with back lock and the ST124 with axis lock. I did not know until now the axis lock patent had expired. Cheap knives usually mean cheap steel vs cutting edge steels, which is fine for the price point. I am still happy with the D2 steel used in my new knife. I am really surprised with the field of current cheap knives for around $50.

Attachment 99157
    That ST124 is pretty cool looking. Thanks for pointing that one out.

I got a Byrd Wharncliffe Harrier for Christmas and it is very nifty as a cheap understudy for one of my wharnie Enduras.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    In buying knives I have never been disappointed with knives made in Taiwan.
    My Ontario RAT 1 has never disappointed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I'm in full agreement, my Rat 1 is AUS8 which is easy enough to get
    hair popping sharp, my Rat 2 in D2 which gets more pocket time because
    of size, may hold an edge a little longer but isn't quite as easy to get the
    edge back.
    While re-carpeting a couple of bedrooms that Rat 2 was blowing through
    20' strips of old carpet and padding with occasional touch ups and looking
    for more.
    The Rat's are tough, easily maintained with very good actions at a bargain.
    Like a lot here, no doubt, I have a drawer full of knives, if I could only have
    one knife for edc, work and play, I honestly think I'd pick a Rat 2 and maybe
    flip a coin on the blade steel.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    +1 for THE RAT
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I had never used the "Wave" until Cecil did a class here in FL a few years ago.

One of the easiest blades to pull out of a pocket and shank away...

Super Impressed.

http://instagram.com/p/CFYczlXJjsR/
    I gained a lot of confidence in my pocket knife choice after that class. I think deploying with the wave in daily life creating countless reps is imlortant to success with it.

Site Supporter
    I was dining last night with some 30 yr + shooter buddies and the topic of knives, cheap knives and sharpening came up.

To some extent or another, all of use had flirted with 200.00+ ( or much more in two of the 4 cases, not me) non auto folding pocket knives with more premium steels only to come to the realization that steels like Spyderco VG10 and Benchmade 154CM were perfectly fine. The corollary of which drove the price of a knife back down under 200, often under 100.

All concurred that all steels dulled and that it was more important that a knife could be resharpened well and fairly quickly as opposed to one that dulled slower but was much harder to get sharp.

All concurred the forearm hair shaving sharp/wrist flick cutting on the corner of copy paper sharp was “sharp” enough.

I do not own a Rat. I already have 8 knives in the rotation.(Spyderco 4, Benchmade 1, Kershaw 1, Kizer 1, CRKT 1.) Having said that, in the sub 50.00, NOT made in the PRC, you could be hard pressed to do better that the Rat line by Ontario. Frankly, I should probably buy one in Orange for TLG (RIP.)

https://www.bladehq.com/?search=ontario+rat
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I was dining last night with some 30 yr + shooter buddies and the topic of knives, cheap knives and sharpening came up.

To some extent or another, all of use had flirted with 200.00+ ( or much more in two of the 4 cases, not me) non auto folding pocket knives with more premium steels only to come to the realization that steels like Spyderco VG10 and Benchmade 154CM were perfectly fine. The corollary of which drove the price of a knife back down under 200, often under 100.

All concurred that all steels dulled and that it was more important that a knife could be resharpened well and fairly quickly as opposed to one that dulled slower but was much harder to get sharp.

All concurred the forearm hair shaving sharp/wrist flick cutting on the corner of copy paper sharp was “sharp” enough.

I do not own a Rat. I already have 8 knives in the rotation.(Spyderco 4, Benchmade 1, Kershaw 1, Kizer 1, CRKT 1.) Having said that, in the sub 50.00, NOT made in the PRC, you could be hard pressed to do better that the Rat line by Ontario. Frankly, I should probably buy one in Orange for TLG (RIP.)

https://www.bladehq.com/?search=ontario+rat

I have two RAT 1's; First run model in AUS 8 and the 2nd a D2 from Walmart. Also have a RAT 2 still in box due to it being a bit too small for my hands.

User Tag List