Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Provisional Limited Optics

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    What was the recent USPSA rules comment about safeties needing to be active when in holster?

Something about you get DQ if the safety clicks off before the gun is out?

Did I remember that wrong?
    8.1.2.5 says the safety must be on while the firearm is loaded in the holster. And it is a DQ-able offense under 10.5.11

App A3 glossary defines “draw” as the point where the handgun is removed or disengaged from the holster so as to allow access to the trigger.

So the gun does not need to be all the way out before the safety can be flicked off, just maybe an inch or so to clear the trigger.

Reality is that’s a hard thing for an RO to see, plus it tends to happen pretty fast, so even harder to call. IME the few people that have run afoul of 8.1.2.5 and 10.5.11 are those that forget to put the thumb safety on (or lower the hammer in DA) when they holster.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    What was the recent USPSA rules comment about safeties needing to be active when in holster?

Something about you get DQ if the safety clicks off before the gun is out?

Did I remember that wrong?
    The safety must be on when the gun is holstered. The example was at LMR, the shooter loaded, holstered then applied the safety after the gun was in the holster, the ruling was DQ as the safety has to be on when the gun is in the holster.

Edit: see 10.5.11
    Last edited by Norville; 01-18-2023 at 03:15 PM.

When will they vote on this?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    When will they vote on this?
    This Sunday.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

A discussion of the pros and the cons of the issue and the future of USPSA with the Humble Marksman, Phil Strader and Kenny Platt.
    TL;DR: it's a 9mm and hicap world, the manufacturers and aftermarket have eliminated the overmatch that the widebody 1911s when the original Open/Limited split occurred, much less when Production was created.
    What actually constitutes a competitive advantage is debated. The difficulties of reconciling legacy divisions by power factor, mag capacity(with state hicap restriction concerns) and trigger action with the game's evolved shooting mechanics is discussed.
    Right now, the rules stifle innovation and result in the constant patching of divisions. "Rubbing is racing".
    The problems of drawing enough shooters to various national and area matches is dire.

Everyone's ox gets gored.

https://www.youtube.com/live/ieaCZgAl2us?feature=share

It'd be tough to enforce, but I wonder if it'd be better to separate out divisions by cost, like NRL does. Might entice manufacturers and custom gun makers to drive prices down instead of up. Have three classes or something. You could debate whether to even separate the optics from irons, or just let let it be part of the total cost of the package. Shoot a $500 gun with an SRO, or $1000 gun with it's factory irons. Probably still have to set some sort of limit on capacity.

B. Classes
    1. The Base class is intended to be budget oriented. It is also intended to be a class to allow an introduction
    to this fantastic shooting discipline. Any rifle system that comes in under a combined MSRP of $1200 shall be
    eligible to compete in Base class. This combined MSRP price is for the rifle and scope only. It excludes scope
    rings and bases, bipods, suppressors, data card holders, magazines, spare magazine holders, auto bolt releases,
    aftermarket triggers and extended magazine releases. Factory barrels may be threaded to accept a suppressor.
    Adjustments to the stock to get proper cheek weld, hand grips, trigger jobs, and bedding of the stock are also
    allowed. Rails of any type utilized to mount a bipod may be added. Rifles and scopes that are out of production
    are difficult to check the MSRP. The NRL22 will allow certain popular rifles and scopes that are out of
    production to compete. The NRL22 will provide a list of discontinued rifles and scopes along with MSRP’s
    that will be used to calculate the $1200 limit. Base class shooters should be mindful that manufacturers may
    change the MSRP of their products from time to time. Neither price changes nor discontinuations of
    products are the fault of the NRL22. However, the production status and MSRP on June 1st will be
    considered valid for the entire 2021 season. At sign in, the Match Director shall inspect the rifle and ensure
    that the combined MSRP comes in under $1200. If it goes over, the shooter shall compete in the open class.
    This determination and interpretation of the Base class rules are solely decided by the local Match Directors
    for their own clubs. Any communications regarding Base class rules to NRL22 staff will not be replied to. You
    will need to check with your local match director. For the National Championship however, these rules will be
    followed to the letter. There will be a gunsmith present at the NRL22 National Championship for Base class
    rifle inspections. A list of popular rifle and scopes MSRPs and discontinued rifle and scopes MSRPs will be
    included in the monthly course of fire.
    Last edited by bofe954; 01-26-2023 at 09:11 PM.

I really don’t want to see cost-based divisions. I have no idea how much my guns cost.

When I started shooting matches back in the day, it seemed like my stuff was never a good fit, and the times when I did have intention to build a well-suited gun were fun, but I’ve now settled that I only want a few guns, not a bunch of guns, and I want the guns I have because I think they’re cool more than I think they’re optimized for whatever matches, even as I enjoy the opportunities I get to shoot matches.

I’m interested in that YouTube video.

What are the purposes of having the different divisions, and what are the competitive advantages?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

So, what was the verdict?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    So, what was the verdict?
    No word yet
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    No word yet
    Purely from a curiosity standpoint, I would be interested in seeing it rolled into CO to determine if there is a measurable advantage to SA against the Striker and TDA guns of today in this context.
    Especially given the ferocious skill level down to B class(Hell, nowadays maybe even high C) and the evolution of the understanding and mechanics of the sport.

User Tag List