Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It you thought turning off the power was bad...

It you thought turning off the power was bad...

City of Asheville provides update on recent water outages - The City of Asheville (ashevillenc.gov)

I went to work the morning of Christmas eve and just got home... Who am I, where am I and how did I get here? We have port-a potties at the station. Our calls have tripled. I do get tomorrow off.

City of Asheville has lost the ability to deliver water to 40,000 plus. I have yet to learn why one of the treatment plants shut down, it was 1 of 3. I would assume it was because there have been 3 major water line breaks, the smallest of them was a 26-inch main the big one is rumored to be a 48 inch.

The citizens have gone mad demanding the fire department to provide water from our trucks. Blaming churches, scout troops, food banks for not handing out water. Calling for the national guard to intervene...

The world is full of stupid people who have absolutely no clue about how the world works.

These are the people who laugh at taking any sort of precautions or preparations before the time of year that natural disasters regularly happen. When a disaster does occur, they demand that everyone else drop what they are doing and meet their needs right now!!! And will do so again.

Idiots.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

People think fire engines are full of clean, fresh water. Man, would they be upset (get it? upset?) if they got to drink actual tank water.

I work in the water industry, and a break in a 26 or 48 inch line is a pretty big deal. Depending on type of pipe... parts are sometimes hard to get the last couple years. And yes, many people have zero clue what it really takes to get water coming out of their tap.

The people in the United States have absolutely no idea what real struggles are.

They should spend some time where everything is not handed to their entitled asses.

Here is a pic I took years back.

The picture below is of a father and son sifting through an empty lot filled with garbage in the middle of Iraq looking for something to eat and gathering scrap metal. It is already a dirt poor province, so it is not like the poor people there are going to throw much away in the first place.

And running water/indoor plumbing is simply not happening.

Same deal here.

We left these little girls a couple flats of water, as they were drinking from a sewage filled ditch.

Frigging Americans have a few days of without some basic item and they think the world will end. GMAFB

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The world is full of stupid people who have absolutely no clue about how the world works.

These are the people who laugh at taking any sort of precautions or preparations before the time of year that natural disasters regularly happen. When a disaster does occur, they demand that everyone else drop what they are doing and meet their needs right now!!! And will do so again.

Idiots.
    What happened to just having extra on hand?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Any idea on what caused the breaks? Aging infrastructure or what? If you don't have water, you ain't got nothing.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Any idea on what caused the breaks? Aging infrastructure or what? If you don't have water, you ain't got nothing.
    So instead of demanding water from fire trucks go to the store and buy several cases of bottled water. It not that big of a deal unless you're going on month 3 without an end in sight.

If you’ve got that kind of water outage, it’s time to GTF out of town to somewhere that still has running water.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    So instead of demanding water from fire trucks go to the store and buy several cases of bottled water. It not that big of a deal unless you're going on month 3 without an end in sight.

When 40,000 people lose water at the same time, getting bottles from the store only works for a day. Not even HEB can react quickly enough to supply 40k people.

When my town of a similar size lost water and then had a boil alert for a week after the power freeze fiaso, a local bottler stepped up with tankers of water and we had folks come out to city hall for a few gallons at a time. Took the major grocers a few days to catch up.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List