Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bipod Thread & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    It’s entirely possible I just got cheap, worn out Harris bipods. I’ve only used Magpuls on a couple of .22 rifles from the bench but they were a vast improvement over what they replaced.

And it could be I’m just running in different circles with different standards.
    Were they actual Harris bipods? There are tons of cheap knock offs out there.

I have been using the S-BRM for a number of years now.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015124526
    I did replace the tilt lock to a lever which is far superior.

The sling mount is not very consistent. I saw recently someone was selling an Arca and picatinny QD mount which looks pretty slick

By the time you buy the bipod, lever, QD mount, and feet(which I haven't done) you're in $200.

For a serious precision rig, it’s Atlas > Harris S-BRM > Others.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

This thread just made me check to see what my 20+ year old Versa Pod would cost to replace.

https://stores.versapod.com/all-bipods/

FWIW It’s somewhat heavy but very stable. I believe the attachment interface may have improved too.
    Well PF is going to cost me money, again.

I have both a Harris and a Magpul. To me, both are OK, not great. Still searching for the perfect balance of steadiness, minimal weight and bulk, and ease of opening/closing & adjustment. Same elusive features of a photo (or shooting) tripod.

Anybody tried and/or have thoughts about the Ckye-Pod? Never had hands on one, but with some models at close to the price of a decent rifle, one would hope for great things . . .

https://mdttac.com/ckye-pod/

Don't overthink it. In Dr. Evil's voice: "It's a freakin' bipod". I used Harrises with no-name podlock. Now I have two Atlasses. The classic and the CAL version.
    I always used Harris on some kind of pic mount. I don't recall any issues with it coming loose from bench/prone shooting.

I don't think Atlas is so game changing. While it does allow the bipod to be in a different position for shooting, I haven't seen and haven't used that feature. Also, the classic Atlas, tilt adjustment is difficult to tighten up. That's why the came up with the CAL version which - surprise - has a podlock in the same position as classic Harris.
    The U.S. military issues both Harris and Atlas with different programs.

The real "game changing", in my opinion, is having an arca swiss rail that spans the entire rail and any bipod with a quick movement to seamlessly move to the position best suited to the current scenario.

When I took a precision rifle class, the instructor quipped: "My least favorite bipod is Atlas followed by Magpul...".

Some pros/cons:
    Harris:
    Pros: quick deploy/stow. Podlock is easy to tighten bipod
    Con: Mechanism protrudes below. May "bite"/pinch fingers.

Atlas:
    Pros: Looks cool. Can stow flat. Independent legs and multiple leg positions can potentially/theoretically allow for more positions.
    Cons: Price. Slower to deploy/adjust. Tilt on classic is sloppy.

These are the bipods I tend to see at PRS and NRL matches (where a lot of people are shooting 20+ lb rifles)

Cykepod: Appears this one the latest fad, the single-pull and seeing more of the double-pull model. Not only does it have 90 and 45 deg options for forward and rear, you can also splay the legs out for the widest footprint of the ones I’m going to mention. It also has a pretty wide range for cant if shooting off uneven obstacles. Perfect for flexing on the poors when you look at the price tag, even more flex when you consider the double-pull and triple pull.

Atlas: There’s quite a few models, so be prepared to be overwhelmed at first. I want to say the newer generation, including the CAL, are probably the next most commonly seen at matches. 90 and 45 deg leg positions, decently wide stance but not as wide as the Cykepod. But its been doing good for me since I got it. Added an Arca clamp to work with my Arca rail I have on my rifles.

Accu-tac: Probably the most bomb-proof beefy tripod I’ve seen. Decently wide stance, but still folds fairly compact. This is the one I tried to buy last summer when I was shopping, but they were out of stock everywhere.

Warne: Neat bipod, had this clicky system to help adjust it up or down when laying prone behind the rifle.

Harris: The OG. Probably has won more matches than any of the above combined, but I suspect the Cykepod is probably gonna take over that claim in a few more years. I started with one of these, swapped out the OG sling stud attachment for a RRS head that had a pic clamp as well as an Arca clamp.

Name:  913444D2-2C07-4C8F-BB72-2574A78CFE31.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  55.7 KB

Harris S-BRM 6x9 with a couple of upgrades

First replace the stud mount with the much cleaner simpler adapter. I also added a QD M-lok
    Second add a swivel locking handle
    Third the paracord makes for rapid robust quick deployment.

Once deployed, when setup properly all the adjustments can be made with the non firing hand without coming out of the glass.

It’s fast, efficient, and robust enough.

And no spikes on the legs. This can be deployed on the hood of your vehicle.

All it takes to mount this to any handgaurd is a minimal Magpul 3 slot section of pic rail.
    https://magpul.com/m-lokpolymerrails...obal_color=118
    Last edited by Paul Blackburn; 12-30-2022 at 07:44 AM.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Name:  6C718BD0-B046-49F3-9EBB-971CA4C0D42F.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  49.0 KB

The bipod can also be attached and/or detached in mere seconds with the QD mount.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

I am liking my Spartan on both, my hunting rifle as well as on my AR.

https://javelinbipod.com/collections...hunt-tac-bipod

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    I have both a Harris and a Magpul. To me, both are OK, not great. Still searching for the perfect balance of steadiness, minimal weight and bulk, and ease of opening/closing & adjustment. Same elusive features of a photo (or shooting) tripod.

Anybody tried and/or have thoughts about the Ckye-Pod? Never had hands on one, but with some models at close to the price of a decent rifle, one would hope for great things . . .

https://mdttac.com/ckye-pod/
    I have a bipod problem, I own many. I have a single pull Ckye-pod bipod for precision rifle matches. It is very versatile and well engineered. I would hope so for what you pay for it. The Atlas is very well made and is a nice solid bipod without the versatility of the Ckye-pod. The Harris BRM-S by the time you put the pic rail/arca adapter, leg extension adapters, and pod loc you are pretty close to the price of an atlas. I have cut the shit out of myself many times getting pinched by the Harris.

I think a lot of it depends on what you are doing with the rifle. Shooting on a square range the Harris is great. Shooting a precision field match or competition the cyke- pod or atlas. Hunting out west where you will rarely get a prone shot the Hatch bipod is hard to beat if you don't have time to set up a tripod.

I will second the Arca recommendation. It is nice to have one system where binos, rangefinder, rifle, plate, etc are all secured by the same mount.

Ckye > Atlas > Harris >>> Magpul

User Tag List