Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GunSite 260 Shotgun course opinions please

I have taken courses at Gunsite (1997, 2021, 2022) but never a long gun class. I have taken long gun at Thunder Ranch (Urban Rifle) and on the road (Jim Crews, Rob Haught, and Jim Higgenbotham).

I personally think the push pull technique is a game changer for shotgun. I don’t know if it’s part of current Gunsite doctrine or how much time they spend on it in 260.

if they teach it at gunsite I’d say just go to that. If not then I think I’d start with Symtac and then get around to Gunsite.

The value your friend will get at Gunsite is the combined experience of three teachers, which is good; working the donga, which is just flat fun; and working the shoot house, which I think is irreplaceable. I don’t know if they do FOF in 260 but that would be another major factor.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I will see if I can track down my class photo. Very honored to have been in the class with you, Erick!

Ken
    I'd love to see that photo, it's some great history!

I just looked up the Symtac courses, and that Shotgun Skills course would be right up my alley, especially to start with. I like the option of the 1 day class as well, and the fact that they are Pheonix based.

I had no idea that the Thunderstick Summit existed. Sounds like a hoot and a blast .

Anyway, I may end up going with my buddy for some shotgun training once he gets his boom stick ..but...if I do go I'd want to get a new shotgun first, cause the only one I have is an old Mossberg 500 beater...but it does have an extra shell carrier on the side of the receiver that I added in 1989 so it's super high speed yo! .

Oh btw, my buddy is saying he's not finding any 1301's in stock..I'm not sure what version he's looking for, but any thoughts on where to best look for one?

I'll echo the recommendations for the Symtac class. The foundation of the class is their recoil management technique. Once you get that down, you start to build weapon manipulation techniques. They also give you a list of easily repeated drills to use to reinforce the skills when back home after the class. I took their Shotgun Skills class this year and highly recommend it.

As to finding a 1301, they come and go pretty quick at dealers around me. I would recommend finding a few online dealers that you can check on a regular basis and have it shipped to an FFL near you. Personally I like being able to go over guns before I purchase them but with an in-demand gun like a 1301, buying online gives you access to a larger set of dealers. Prices seem to be between $1300 - $1500 now.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'd love to see that photo, it's some great history!
    The first photo is of the April 1995 Gunsite 260 Shotgun class. I am the tall guy on the far left in the back row.

Name:  67EB4C12-4FDD-44A4-8D4E-EC20D5AADC92.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  42.5 KB

I also found another photo. The second photo is of the March 1981 Gunsite 250 Pistol class. I am standing at the far left with my arms crossed while listening to Colonel Cooper discuss the proper technique for engaging the "Mik-Lik" target.

Name:  EF6750A0-D466-4124-BBC6-05953EB6308C.jpeg
Size:  58.3 KB

Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    The first photo is of the April 1995 Gunsite 260 Shotgun class. I am the tall guy on the far left in the back row.

Name:  67EB4C12-4FDD-44A4-8D4E-EC20D5AADC92.jpg
Size:  42.5 KB
    Thanks Ken, I hadn't yet gone looking for the photo.

I'm standing, third from the left. My travel partner for the class, Brian A, and an Anchorage PD copper, --- Koch, are to my left. I can recall a few other names too.

The instructors are kneeling. From the left - Walt Marshall, Richmond CA PD; Bill Jeans, ret'd Clovis CA Pd & Gunsite Ops Manager; Ray Gonzalez, then San Jose CA Pd.

For the original poster, this is one of the reasons you attend schools like Gunsite. You meet some really interesting people with similar interests as you. This more so than other training that you might attend. Depending on his experience and prior training you may learn a lot or a little. I have only attended Gunsite 250 and would have attended more, if I lived closer. If you friend lives in Arizona, he should definately give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    For the original poster, this is one of the reasons you attend schools like Gunsite. You meet some really interesting people with similar interests as you. This more so than other training that you might attend. Depending on his experience and prior training you may learn a lot or a little. I have only attended Gunsite 250 and would have attended more, if I lived closer. If you friend lives in Arizona, he should definately give it a try.
    Your comment about meeting interesting people is spot on.

After all these years, my memory might be fading, but as best I recall, everyone of the folks in that 260 Shotgun class photo were active or retired police officers except for two of us.

One of the students was a judge.

And I was a copper miner.

In that photo ... to the best of my recollection ... a doctor, an ammo company owner, and an Air Force loadmaster (or flight engineer) too.

I would attend 260 just to meet Erick. 😀

User Tag List