Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA FOR AIWB CARRY

DA/SA FOR AIWB CARRY

Does it seem like more experienced pistol owners are gravitating to DA/SA pistols lately for specifically AWIB carry. Pistols like the Beretta PX4 CC, Beretta 92 compact, CZ P-07, P-01 and the HK P30, P30SK, P200, P200SK, etc. I really don't care to carry a pistol AIWB or even IWB anymore unless it's a DA/SA or a striker fired pistol that has a manual thumb safety or has a SCD (striker control device). Last *for me* would be a cocked and locked 1911 type pistol with having at least a 4.25 - 4.5 lb lb trigger pull. IMHO, striker pistols like the P365 series and others with no manual thumb safety or cannot accept a SCD along with their short travel, light break weight triggers are about like carrying a cocked and locked 1911 with the safety off.
    Last edited by Biggy; 12-26-2022 at 01:30 PM.

Well, the nice thing about most modern SAO pistols - most come with a firing pin safety these days (Colt S80, etc), and you can physically place your support hand thumb between the cocked hammer and the firing pin when holstering. Yes, it's now a two handed re-holster, but it's still fairly safe..and you can verify the thumb safety is engaged while re-holstering as well.

Personally I like DA/SA because it's press and go; no thumb safety to fiddle with, no grip safety to worry about engaging all the way. Glocks with an SCD are a close second; not because they're worse in any way, just a preference for a hammer vs a striker if it's possible.

Sig P320s, Walther PDPs, and similar other striker guns that aren't conducive to an SCD and/or don't have an external thumb safety skeeve me out a little bit. Not that I wouldn't carry one, but in a universe where Glock+SCD, M&P+Thumb safety, or DA/SA exists...why? Just my opinion though; could be %100 wrong

No, not really.. for every member on here carrying a DA/SA appendix there are a thousand carrying a P365.

If you properly re-holster in the appendix position (I.e., take a second to clear garment, push hips out, and insert the muzzle while angling it away from your body) it’s a non-issue. Once the gun is in the holster, it effectively has a safety constantly on that completely prevents the trigger from being accessed in addition to internal firing pin safeties to eliminate the risk of the gun firing without manipulation of the trigger.

Outside of training on the range, the gun should be taken off and put on while in the holster.

While not known for their DA pull, my HK P2000 is absent any kind of decocker/safety on either side of the pistol. The decocker is located at the rear of the slide. Press the button, the hammer safely drops. And when I decock the pistol, the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction. After the first DA shot, it is SA thereafter. For me, the P2000 is a handy-sized pistol with the ability to have a full-fingered grip.

Speed reholstering a CCW is not a thing, and in a modern holster an off safe cocked 2 lb match trigger could be safely carried. It's not recommended for assorted reasons, but in-holster safety isn't the issue. Mainly it's a "Pointing at people whilst scared out of your wits and deciding whether to shoot with imperfect information" issue.
    This was a main advantage of DA/SA pistols as advocated by Ayoob, Langdon et al, that long trigger pull first shot acting as insurance against inadvertent pressure on the trigger during 'Threat management."
    Last edited by feudist; 12-26-2022 at 03:20 PM.

I think it's interesting that a DA/SA is finding a resurgence. While AIWB carry is uncomfortable for me except with small guns - PPK, Jframe, Kahrs, I understand its appeal. When carrying that way I only carry the above named DA/SA or DAO guns. It just worked out that way. Care of my Johnson and arteries is a welcome byproduct. All other guns are carried on my hip.
    Unless it’s life or death related it’s all bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Does it seem like more experienced pistol owners are gravitating to DA/SA pistols lately for specifically AWIB carry.
    While I’m personally sympathetic to your argument, I see very few instructors or students outside the P-F community that prioritize those specific features for that reason. Ernest Langdon, John Correia (Active Self Protection), and DB are the only instructors that come immediately to mind, and two of them have had a significant influence on P-F.
    David S.

I think we will see more. The tiny S&W CSX opened the door to possibilities. Would love to see what S&W could do in the way of an updated CS9 in 2022, with respect to sight options, 1.5 stack, textures, backstraps etc.

I am so hoping Beretta gives us something for CCW with DA/SA, if anyone can do it, they could with a 500 year pedigree.

Micro or Sub Sigpro, lots to the imagination.

So many nice DA/SA designs out there: LEM, DAK, P250 system, Walther AS, Safe action On older Daewoo pistols.

PF has poisoned my mind, thankfully, and now DA/SA is back on my radar.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Does it seem like more experienced pistol owners are gravitating to DA/SA pistols lately for specifically AWIB carry. Pistols like the Beretta PX4 CC, Beretta 92 compact, CZ P-07, P-01 and the HK P30, P30SK, P200, P200SK, etc. I really don't care to carry a pistol AIWB or even IWB anymore unless it's a DA/SA or a striker fired pistol that has a manual thumb safety or has a SCD (striker control device). Last *for me* would be a cocked and locked 1911 type pistol with having at least a 4.25 - 4.5 lb lb trigger pull. IMHO, striker pistols like the P365 series and others with no manual thumb safety or cannot accept a SCD along with their short travel, light break weight triggers are about like carrying a cocked and locked 1911 with the safety off.
    This has been a very significant trend on this forum since appendix carry first started gaining steam in the early 2010s. I prefer DA/SA. And like someone else said, a Glock with an SCD or an M&P with a thumb safety bring a lot to the table if they float your boat. I prefer *a* form of backup parachute on reholstering, I think what that is comes down to the individual.

That said, appendix carry is mainstream now, but so are millions of fully cocked single action striker fired guns with no SCD or manual safety. For every 1 person carrying a gun with one of those safety features, 9 people aren't. With some notable exceptions, most of those single action guns are mechanically perfectly safe sitting in a good holster. It's not even something many people think about anymore...

These are currently the only 9mm pistols I own. I guess it really all comes down to personal preference on what type of action you feel comfortable carrying and how you are carrying it. I converted my MACRO to the MACRO XL hybrid right after they came out. Personally, I would much rather have the longer 3.7" XL barrel than the MACRO's shorter 3.1" barrel. While the MACRO's comp helps some with muzzle flip, it also has more muzzle blast and Sig's slide comped guns don't seem to be as accurate as the uncomped P365 pistols. Also, I will not be carrying mine in my preferred AIWB location until I add the Sig manual thumb safety kit, and I won't be doing that until Wilson Combat comes out with their manual safety gun MACRO grip frames. IMHO, a P365 pistol without a manual thumb safety is pretty close to a cocked and locked 1911 with the safety off. These days I prefer DA/SA pistols when carrying AIWB.

User Tag List