Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 Caliber J-frame

Site Supporter
    I've had more issues with Smith .22 revolvers than with any other group. Yes, I like them and yes, I've carried mouse guns in the past but always knew that I was not adequately armed. A snub length 22 barrel makes an anemic round even weaker. Looking back, I carried these handguns because they were light and nifty, and I admired their workmanship and felt good about shooting them well. Hence, Logic was absent. If I were concerned about size and weight, I would select a J frame 38 or a pistol similar to the Glock 42 or 43 or 43x. As most know, using a quality holster matched with an appropriate belt will contribute to ease of carry. Some of us are way past being able to grapple with an opponent. Thus, we might select a cartridge that has more authority than a 22. Once I could have made head shots with a 22 snub. That was long ago. This comment might apply to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Based on the advice in this thread I installed an Apex kit in my 43C.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-while-running
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I wasn't aware Apex made a rimfire kit.
    They do not, but in the referenced thread @jetfire advised us that the centerfire Apex kit works great, and is reliable as long as you use the Apex firing pin, but that it is imperative to never dryfire on an empty chamber (extended firing pin/aluminum cylinder).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    They do not, but in the referenced thread @jetfire advised us that the centerfire Apex kit works great, and is reliable as long as you use the Apex firing pin, but that it is imperative to never dryfire on an empty chamber (extended firing pin/aluminum cylinder).

I wonder if the .22 Mag uses the same spring weights? I have a reduced power mainspring in my 351C, which has been 100% with CCI solids, but fails to fire atleast one Gold Dot per cylinder.

I wonder if the .22 Mag uses the same spring weights? I have a reduced power mainspring in my 351C, which has been 100% with CCI solids, but fails to fire at least one Gold Dot per cylinder.
    The linked thread indicated the Apex firing pin was the Secret Sauce, but ya better not dry fire.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I've had more issues with Smith .22 revolvers than with any other group. Yes, I like them and yes, I've carried mouse guns in the past but always knew that I was not adequately armed. A snub length 22 barrel makes an anemic round even weaker. Looking back, I carried these handguns because they were light and nifty, and I admired their workmanship and felt good about shooting them well. Hence, Logic was absent. If I were concerned about size and weight, I would select a J frame 38 or a pistol similar to the Glock 42 or 43 or 43x. As most know, using a quality holster matched with an appropriate belt will contribute to ease of carry. Some of us are way past being able to grapple with an opponent. Thus, we might select a cartridge that has more authority than a 22. Once I could have made head shots with a 22 snub. That was long ago. This comment might apply to others.
    That's a valid point, but I had such a terrible experience with the .38 that I'm hesitant to try it again. There's no way that I would practice with it enough to make me confident in it. If there's a good way to mitigate the recoil on the .38 (perhaps thicker grips), I'd consider it again.

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    The post is DB’s Shooting Adventures (Darryl Bolke) discussing lightweight revolvers. Fortunately, you don’t have to have FB to view the post.
    Ah, you are right. My phone was showing an error page, but my laptop worked fine. I have a lot of respect for Bolke and thought that was a good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca10 View Post
    That's a valid point, but I had such a terrible experience with the .38 that I'm hesitant to try it again. There's no way that I would practice with it enough to make me confident in it. If there's a good way to mitigate the recoil on the .38 (perhaps thicker grips), I'd consider it again.
    Per an earlier post, I think your experience was with .38 +P in a J though. Really the best way to mitigate recoil is to step down in power. .38 Mid-Range wadcutters will cut the recoil substantially while retaining good penetration. Which, out of a snub length barrel, penetration is what you want. Expansion is going to be iffy and where it occurs is likely to cut penetration to unacceptable levels. Generally the higher power levels in a J snub are costing you controllability with no substantial improvement in performance.

Other things that can help are stepping up the weight. Recoil between a 16 Oz Airweight and a 22 Oz Steel J is very different. The problem being that extra weight makes carry less convenient.

You are absolutely right about grips making a difference too. Different grips change the dynamics dramatically. On the plus side revolvers are able to wear a wide array of grips. It's finding the right compromise that's the hard part. The best grips for shooting tend to be the worst for concealing. The best median I've found are the 'old' Taurus boot grips (which fit a J with some minor adaptation). The covered back strap and palm swells on them work really well for my hands. Unfortunately, it looks like Taurus discontinued them around the time the pandemic hit. In any case, .38 is likely to serve you better if needed for self-defense than .22 LR.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Like it-buy it!

To the OP: if you think you have a use for it, get it-it's the American way. Any gunpowder cartridge imho is better than yelling. I am pretty much past grappling, knifing, etc. I'd prefer a stand off ballistic option, even if a .22 rimfire.
    My 317 I used this summer due to eye surgery/recovery. Went though Werner's snub dry practice program and was pleasantly surprised at how the trigger improved. Heavy, but smooth now.
    Pocketed in my sweatpants with "Punch" ammo as I recuperated.
    And the dry practice helped my grouping w/Glocks later(!)

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    You are absolutely right about grips making a difference too. Different grips change the dynamics dramatically. On the plus side revolvers are able to wear a wide array of grips. It's finding the right compromise that's the hard part. The best grips for shooting tend to be the worst for concealing.
    I think the increased concealability of boot grips is a poor comfort and shooting tradeoff unless you are actually putting it in a pocket or a boot. These Hogues are cheap and very nice, I use the Altamont BATELEUR:

Name:  grip.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  58.0 KB

I wonder if the .22 Mag uses the same spring weights? I have a reduced power mainspring in my 351C, which has been 100% with CCI solids, but fails to fire atleast one Gold Dot per cylinder.
    I had to keep stock springs in my 351c. Had the action done by my favorite J frame gunsmith, Mike LaRocca.

My 43c runs great with the Apex firing pin & the stock spring out of a 442. That one has only been smoothed by dry & live fire. Hat tip to Claude Werner on the spring for the 43c.
    Last edited by jandbj; 12-27-2022 at 10:55 AM.

User Tag List