Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 Caliber J-frame

Too late to edit, but fixing bad link above to DB's latest:

https://www.facebook.com/people/DBs-...0027351922366/

Flagging one comment of his in light of above:

"The caliber is interesting. It is a rifle cartridge coming out of a barrel less than two inches. As a small light bullet, recoil is minimal and it is super easy to shoot, but it barks like a bigger gun. All that blast and noise is a benefit for near contact shooting."

Anyone aware of contact ballistic testing of the .22mag and/or .22lr? .22mag is blasty, and would probably do some quality work as a contact shot.

Wonder if the WMR cylinder could swap over into the 3" 317?...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I just carried a model 36 (38 spl.) when I back packed in the Cascades and Olympics. Never saw that many people on the trail. Saw more bears than people. Women were actually hiking alone and in pairs in there.

The farther you go into the wilderness the less you have to worry about people. Mostly the assholes are in the city looking for an easy score.

.22 in any configuration would work as long as it functions 99.9% of the time. Better than a stick or a sharp knife..

Lots of combatants were issued 38's during WW2. Ballistics hasn't changed much since.

9mm something would be my choice these days.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-06-2023 at 11:07 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I just carried a model 36 (38 spl.) when I back packed in the Cascades and Olympics. Never saw that many people on the trail. Saw more bears than people. Women were actually hiking alone and in pairs in there.

The farther you go into the wilderness the less you have to worry about people. Mostly the assholes are in the city looking for an easy score.

.22 in any configuration would work as long as it functions 99.9% of the time. Better than a stick or a sharp knife..

Lots of combatants were issued 38's during WW2. Ballistics hasn't changed much since.

9mm something would be my choice these days.
    If you're hiking with a partner the .22 makes an excellent bear gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Wonder if the WMR cylinder could swap over into the 3" 317?...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    This is an awesome idea, don’t know if it is safe, but awesome idea. Smith could stand to look at this. Imagine a 3” kit . 22wmr, 10 rounds though, no lock, diff front sight options, concealed hammer DAO.

Then of course they need to offer the little 2” with adjustable sight to balance things out.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    If you're hiking with a partner the .22 makes an excellent bear gun.
    Leg shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    This is an awesome idea, don’t know if it is safe, but awesome idea. Smith could stand to look at this.
    I did look to see that the WMR guns also have the aluminum cylinder.
    But doesn't the WMR have a different bore size? I remember something about there being a reason the convertible Rugers didn't shoot as well as a 22LR gun?

Lots of people used to carry 22's in the back country. I knew an old timer, older than me, that said they all carried a .22 revolver when they hunted elk. The .22 was for Blue and Spruce grouse to be eaten in camp. I think that may be illegal now.

When I started working as a surveyor in AZ I worked with guys who carried a .22 for snakes. I didn't have one but wished I did a few times.

Can you dry fire any of the current .22 snubbies on the market? That's one of the advantages of the High Standard Sentinel.

User Tag List