Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on USPSA divisions

The funny thing is about every two weeks, YVK asks me if I would shoot in a Glock 19 with a red dot only division in USPSA. He forgets that the first year CO became a thing in USPSA, I exclusively shot a Glock 19 with an optic. It is a bitch when you shoot a Shadow 2, because things like a Glock 19 seem so crude they should have their own division.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Ben Berry's most recent podcast notes that there are potential Production rule changes in January...
    I let my membership lapse, so I can't log on to check, but what, exactly, are these? Wasn't there a pretty big kerfuffle the last time rules changes were adopted, with some mentioning there was not enough time between the proposals and the approval of the changes? I ask because if there are rules changes, being considered, it would be good to know what they are, if anybody knows. The last Competition Rule book I can find as a non-member is dated September 2021, so I assume that's the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    This is probably not going to be a popular opinion... Strictly from a timmie point of view. I would like to have a timmie division. That used to be Production. Weight limit, no modification, no Shadow 2 types of steel tanks. Don't really care about capacity... More important: increase a minimum power factor to at least 150, ideally to 160 to match real +p ammo. Shooting major PF ammo from a Limited gun is much closer to shooting +P ammo 9mm from a polymer gun. Don't get me wrong - I love Shadow 2, used to have 5 in various configuration. But let's face it - shooting soft 125 PF ammo from 50oz gun is different. Just strictly from a Timmie perspective.
    I like it! My only temptation to shoot major is to do a carry gun with full power ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Production is dead as far as I see it. At my locals hardly anyone shoots it. It's gone the way of single stack. Going to 15 round mags would revive it I think.
    From just what I see here… nothing is going to revive Production.

Because new shooters just aren’t going there.

Partially because now all the “cool kids” are with dots and… this is the kicker… they see how much better new dot guys are getting quickly because of the learning benefits of dots and they quickly understand that irons are inferior for new shooters in USPSA.

Add to that more reloads, which is a whole different skill that eats up practice time and lower cap divisions will be less popular to new shooters than higher cap ones.

IMO divisions with lower cap and irons take more skill than higher cap and dots. While philosophically that appeals to some newer people to start… they eventually learn that the training benefit of dots gets them further in the medium term.

There’s a local guy like that. He’s super serious about USPSA but only shoots Production and Limited. Has been for about the same time I’ve been shooting. He shoots a TON and practices a TON. Goes to all the National events… but still is stuck in semi-turtle mode because like IDPA, he’s over confirming based off his capacity restrictions.

And on classifiers he’s still stuck in A zone.

So I think for training how to shoot USPSA, CO fosters more rapid learning in dry and in live for gaming.

I might go to production or limited Timmy in the future as an advanced skill, but it isn’t a great place for newer shooters who are really looking to improve quickly.

My IMO.

In terms of shooters new to USPSA, I see differences by age. For new shooters under 50 years of age, most have red dots. For older new shooters, most have irons. The irony is the older shooters might benefit even more from a red dot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In terms of shooters new to USPSA, I see differences by age. For new shooters under 50 years of age, most have red dots. For older new shooters, most have irons. The irony is the older shooters might benefit even more from a red dot.
    I thought allowing Revo optics in Revo would help some aging Revo enthusiasts stay in division. Sure you’d get some complaints from purists… but there’s hardly anybody in division now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I thought allowing Revo optics in Revo would help some aging Revo enthusiasts stay in division. Sure you’d get some complaints from purists… but there’s hardly anybody in division now.
    There should be a 22lr airweight optics division so that it forces some company to go after that segment of 5 shooters and I can buy one....

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    While I appreciate the desire to welcome shooters with stock guns, by their second or third match most of those guns have been modified for some perceived advantage.

From the perspective of just one location, I’m finding that shooters using their stock defensive pistol is still a large segment of the weekly fun shoot that I’ve started attending. CO has plenty of more experienced shooters who are in it to win it, but there’s still people running box-stock striker fired guns, because, fun practice. Of course, the fun shoot exists to *get* people into shooting, and the area that it serves hereabouts is pretty heavy on shooters who know that our cops can’t be there so somebody has to pick up the slack. It’s a regional thing, but I’m seeing a lot of people running stock guns from carry holsters each week. Pretty much 2 categories: shooters learning to shoot better, and lifers who compete CO and PCC, religiously.

Again, this particular range is a gateway to matches for a lot of newbies (including, to a large extent, me) so probably an outlier.

It’s common for me to be the only guy showing up with a round gun, and even I don’t do it all the time.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I let my membership lapse, so I can't log on to check, but what, exactly, are these?
    Just going by what Ben said at the top of the podcast I just linked, there's nothing definite, but the BOD's January meeting will likely consider making some changes.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Just going by what Ben said at the top of the podcast I just linked, there's nothing definite, but the BOD's January meeting will likely consider making some changes.
    Thanks, I’ll keep an eye on the changes. For reasons, I’m most likely to start back up w irons next year in local matches. Based on my very limited number of previous matches (15 lifetime), what’s holding my scores down doesn’t have a lot to do with equipment, or reload restrictions.

Revolver is dead. They killed it when they went to 8 rounds.

User Tag List