Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: less bulky rifle scopes for my Ruger American Ranch 5.56 (and other non-AR rifles)

Not illuminated but at only 6.5 ounces, worth a look IMO - https://www.leupold.com/fx-ii-ultral...lex-riflescope

I ran one on a lightweight AR and found it to offer good performance and value vs. its weight and size.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

By the time I decided I wanted a 2-7 VX/R with illuminated reticle they had been discontinued.
    I want more magnification than 2.5. I have a VX/R 1-4 “Hog Hunter “ on an AR and sometimes I’d like more than 4x.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Those older, American made Burris compact scopes were/are very well made scopes.
    I want to say the one I had the longest was a Burris Mini Compact AO... I can't recall if it was 4X or 6X, but the OD of the objective end was relatively small because the lens was probably no bigger in diameter than the main tube. Unlike some other scopes of the day, it held up to the two-way "snap" of a springer air rifle as well as a couple rimfires and a centerfire.

I thought very highly of it at the time, and within a few years I regretted not keeping it.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Not illuminated but at only 6.5 ounces, worth a look IMO - https://www.leupold.com/fx-ii-ultral...lex-riflescope

I ran one on a lightweight AR and found it to offer good performance and value vs. its weight and size.
    I just bought one to try

An amusing compact scope setup from the Ukraine War.

PU 3.5x from a WW2 Mosin, mounted on a SCAR 17

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    An amusing compact scope setup from the Ukraine War.

PU 3.5x from a WW2 Mosin, mounted on a SCAR 17
    Of all the rifles on which you could mount an antique scope, maybe don't pick the one that beats the hell out of scopes!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Of all the rifles on which you could mount an antique scope, maybe don't pick the one that beats the hell out of scopes!
    Apparently not an antique scope, an air gun scope made to look like the PU.

Plus the whole “beat the hell out of scopes thing” with SCARs is overblown.

It’s more of an electronics issue with lasers, etc. than conventional optics.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Looking for some recommendations for smaller, lighter, and less bulky scopes. Primary use case is nothing but recreational shooting from all positions from 25-300m with my Ruger American Ranch 5.56mm. Alternative use case may be to put it on my CZ527 7.62x39 and use it for hog/deer hunting

The Leupold 1.5-4x with the illuminated reticle looks interesting but it's $700. What do people think about low power fixed scopes these days? Would prefer an illuminated reticle too
    Larger isn''t always better. Quality of lenses and coatings make more difference than a 50mm front lens. You can also set it at a lower power to improve light gathering qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    By the time I decided I wanted a 2-7 VX/R with illuminated reticle they had been discontinued.
    I want more magnification than 2.5. I have a VX/R 1-4 “Hog Hunter “ on an AR and sometimes I’d like more than 4x.
    When the VX-Rs were common, I simply didn't have the spare cash to afford one. Now that mine and my wife's financial situation has significantly approved, where I can afford to spend the money the VX-Rs are gone. I did score a crazy good deal on a VX-R 3-9 at the end, but 2-7s were hen's teeth at that point.

I like the glass and love the illumination in my 3-9, and I feel confident a VX-R 2-7 would be a perfect scope on my RAR 7.62x39.

I currently have a Burris MTAC 1.5-6 scope mounted on my RAR. While I like the magnification range of 1.5 to 6 on a hunting rifle along with the larger objective of the MTAC, I don't particularly like the reticle or the size. The tiny reticle with holdovers is fine for shooting at high visibility targets on the range, but it's quickly lost looking at brown fur in the brown woods. The illumination helps, but still nowhere near a good hunting reticle.

I'd love a relatively compact scope, with 1.Xish on the low end and 6ish to 8ish on the high end, with a German #4 reticle and a bright little dot right at the center of the reticle. Something as bright as a VX-R or a PST Gen II.

Here's the MTAC currently mounted:

Name:  IMG_8580.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  86.2 KB

User Tag List