Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: less bulky rifle scopes for my Ruger American Ranch 5.56 (and other non-AR rifles)

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    I fondled one of those Primary Arms 3X prisms at a gun show. It's amazing how small it is. The glass has some weird distortions around the edge, but obviously you only see them when you violate the eye box. The only thing that kind of bothers me is that the reticle is only visible if the sight has power (as I understand - maybe I am wrong). So it's basically a magnified red dot with a fancy horseshoe+chevron+BDC reticle.

For those who want a scope, PA make a prism that is between LPVO and a microprism, it's called "ACCS":
    https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...cqb-m2-reticle

It's a bit of a mall ninja device but what the heck, who's going to know in the woods? Certainly not the trash panda on the other side of it.
    It’s an etched reticle (or at least mine are - maybe earlier generations aren’t?)

This is the one I have: https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...8-reticle-yard
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I sort of blew past this subject yesterday, but I and a surprising number of fellow geezers tend to buy a variable scope only to eventually set it at a certain power and leave it there. We have had discussions and a few laughs recalling how we laughed at people clinging to 4X, 6X and 8X scopes as the world went variable, yet here we are essentially using our variables as fixed powers. Humans remain weird.
    I don’t mind having my scopes on a fixed setting - I get to pick where it’s fixed. JM2C. If you know where that fixed point will be and it’s available on the market, then by all means go right there.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

An option to try is the Leatherwood Hi-Lux CMR1. It is available at SWFA for $252. It has a 30 mm tube, weighs 16 oz and has a MOA reticle. The illumination is decent but not daylight 1X red-dot bright. It dials pretty nice and consistently. The glass is clear in the center but does not have edge to edge crystal clarity. I can see and hit 300 yd steel silhouettes well on my PTR G3. It struggles from 400 yds and beyond.

How important is an illuminated dot or reticle to you for a close range hunting/target shooting scope? Personally, I'm pretty sure I want it, but seems like many of these lower power scopes don't have this option. Leupold only offers the Firedot illuminated reticle on some of their 1.5-4x and 2-7x models, and none on the lightweight 2.5x scopes. Seems like the market has not reflected a customer want for this, but then again I'm not familiar at all with this topic.
    Last edited by shootist26; 01-01-2023 at 09:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    With Nikon exiting the scope market, we lost a few good choices... and Leupold dropping some models didn't help. The tactical market has become so dominant that a lot of outfits no longer bother with scopes aimed (!) at muzzleloaders and turkey hunters and such.

Anyway... it isn't the world's best LPVO, but a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X is not a bad all-around "smaller" (by today's standards) scope if you can find a good deal on one.
    Like rimfire scopes mist turkey / muzzle loader scopes have parallax set at shorter ranges (50-75 yards) vs the 100 yards standard for most center fire fixed parallax rifle scopes.

For 5.56 or 7.62x39 I would want a real center fire rifle scope. Leupold, Burris and others make compact 2-7 / 2-8 center fire scopes.

The current gen strike eagle and equivalent PA scopes are fine for 5.56. PA makes one with a dedicated .300 BO / 7.62x39 reticle.

PA also offers their LPVOs with a non caliber specific MIL reticle. They also have a 1-6 with the ACSS KISS reticle (just an illuminated Chevron) and a 1-4 with a simple duplex and illuminated center dot.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Like rimfire scopes mist turkey / muzzle loader scopes have parallax set at shorter ranges (50-75 yards) vs the 100 yards standard for most center fire fixed parallax rifle scopes.

For 5.56 or 7.62x39 I would want a real center fire rifle scope. Leupold, Burris and others make compact 2-7 / 2-8 center fire scopes.
    Slap me upside the head, I did space off the parallax setting issue. It is not always a deal-breaker (depending on the sum of the parts, so to speak), but it is a concern. Leupold used to be very good about adjusting parallax for longer (or shorter) ranges on their scopes, and I have had that done to a couple of them.

Back in the 1980's, Burris used to make a very nice little low-powered scope which had an adjustable objective that was not much greater in diameter than the body of the main tube, but it has been out of their catalog for a long time. I stupidly let one stay on an early Beeman R7 that I traded away, and I now wish I had kept it. The thing had a too-glossy finish for today's tastes and the eye relief on it was a bit more critical than I liked, but it was otherwise a great scope for a small, light gun. If there is a modern LPVO equivalent out there, I have not seen it.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    How important is an illuminated dot or reticle to you for a close range hunting/target shooting scope? Personally, I'm pretty sure I want it, but seems like many of these lower power scopes don't have this option. Leupold only offers the Firedot illuminated reticle on some of their 1.5-4x and 2-7x models, and none on the lightweight 2.5x scopes. Seems like the market has not reflected a customer want for this, but then again I'm not familiar at all with this topic.
    Don’t judge what the market wants based on Leupold’s products offerings. I used to think that Leupold was just running 10-15 years behind what the market wants starting around the mid 2000’s but now I’m pretty sure they’ve completely left the course and gotten stuck in a bog of mediocrity and lack of innovation. The only reason they’re still selling scopes is name recognition with Boomers.

Site Supporter
    Slap me upside the head, I did space off the parallax setting issue. It is not always a deal-breaker (depending on the sum of the parts, so to speak), but it is a concern. Leupold used to be very good about adjusting parallax for longer (or shorter) ranges on their scopes, and I have had that done to a couple of them.

Back in the 1980's, Burris used to make a very nice little low-powered scope which had an adjustable objective that was not much greater in diameter than the body of the main tube, but it has been out of their catalog for a long time. I stupidly let one stay on an early Beeman R7 that I traded away, and I now wish I had kept it. The thing had a too-glossy finish for today's tastes and the eye relief on it was a bit more critical than I liked, but it was otherwise a great scope for a small, light gun. If there is a modern LPVO equivalent out there, I have not seen it.
    Burris, Vortex and Leupold still make compact 2-7x center fire scopes.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/...scope-2-7x35mm

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I have an old Burris 2-7 Compact on one of mine.

. Attachment 98971

I have a Leupold 2-7 Rimfire on an American Rimfire in 22 mag, I believe they offer the same scope (except for the parallax setting) in the center fire line.
    Those older, American made Burris compact scopes were/are very well made scopes. I used a few for quite a number of years. In fact the personally owned optic I used, before I purchased a VXIII 1.5-5 for my M4 was a Burris 2-7. At first it was on an M4 for a short bit. Later I mounted it on a piece of Picatinny rail and then got hold of an extra dust cover for an M240B (which is a 7.62 mg). I mounted the rail and optic on the dustcover.

We had been getting rocketed and mortared from outside the effective range of the MGs. Plus there was bad mirage from heat and a river. Often you could see flash and smoke from where they were launching from but not anything else. With the Burris mounted on the 240 we rainbowed some rounds into where they had been launching from and they stopped launching from there anymore. Whether I/we hit anything, who knows, but it worked and that little scope did a very good job.

Took a few boat rides with Brit SBS too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Those older, American made Burris compact scopes were/are very well made scopes. I used a few for quite a number of years. In fact the personally owned optic I used, before I purchased a VXIII 1.5-5 for my M4 was a Burris 2-7. At first it was on an M4 for a short bit. Later I mounted it on a piece of Picatinny rail and then got hold of an extra dust cover for an M240B (which is a 7.62 mg). I mounted the rail and optic on the dustcover.

We had been getting rocketed and mortared from outside the effective range of the MGs. Plus there was bad mirage from heat and a river. Often you could see flash and smoke from where they were launching from but not anything else. With the Burris mounted on the 240 we rainbowed some rounds into where they had been launching from and they stopped launching from there anymore. Whether I/we hit anything, who knows, but it worked and that little scope did a very good job.

Took a few boat rides with Brit SBS too.

I also have an old compact Burris 4-12, currently on a heavy barrel 10/22. It made several trips to Montana atop a Sako 221 Fireball that my grandpa had stocked to resemble a Winchester Featherweight. I shot a lot of prairie dogs with that combo.

Now that I have two Ruger Ranch rifles I’d like to see more compact options in smaller quality scopes. Everyone seems to want a 6-20 on their deer rifle.

User Tag List