Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand and grip size, am I overthinking things?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I'm going from memory, and I've slept a few times since then, but I recall some LE training class in which I'm almost positive it was this incident that was referred to:

https://www.odmp.org/officer/17454-p...mes-l-davis-jr

We were told that Davis used a slip-on grip sleeve, and one was found on the ground at the scene. It was speculated that the suspect pulled the gun right out of the grip sleeve while it was in Davis' hand. No proof. No witnesses. But food for thought when considering one.
    Thanks for the feedback.

It seems improbable, but good thought exercise if the juice is worth the squeeze (improved performance vs. risk in a grapple).

Bit of a ghetto solution, but I thought this might be of value to somebody. My hands aren't meaty, but I do have long alien fingers. This posed a problem for me dealing with P365s, as they have an obnoxiously small grip, so I could not get consistent trigger placement upon drawing. And unfortunately, despite Sig marketing these guns as "modular", and the ridiculous amount of aftermarket frames out there, none of them really substantially increase trigger reach.

So I just added several layers of hockey tape to the backstrap, and then several more horizontal layers to increase the trigger reach and hold down the backstrap layers. It looks stupid, but it really did help. The hockey tape actually strikes a really great balance between slip-resistance and comfort against skin when carried, especially when I get sweaty.

Name:  Screenshot_20230226_081048_Gallery.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  38.1 KB

Question for the pros: along these lines, how about single hand shooting?
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

I wear a 2xl work glove. The best fitting grips for me have been the Sig 320 L grip module with the flat trigger or the HK
    spiderman grip.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Grip is the foundation of your ability to accurately shoot a handgun.

How the gun fits your hand has significant implications for how you will perform with it.

Exactly how you deliver force to the grip of the gun is important.

Exactly how you deliver force to the grip of the gun has implications for how you can use your trigger finger.

How your hand fits on the gun has implications for how well your trigger finger can reach the trigger.

You are most certainly not overthinking grip.

A skilled shooter can shoot anything you hand him reasonably well...but that doesn't mean he can perform to his highest level with anything you hand him. Getting a grip arrangement that actually fits your hands properly will have significant impact in the size of your performance envelope.
    3/15/2016

I just recalled, and I do hope Im not misremembering, Todd shooting a Glock with a laser grip and he thought it would work well but the timer proved it was actually slower so “feel” isnt everything.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Question for the pros: along these lines, how about single hand shooting?
    Good question. For me a properly sized grip is a compromise SHO/WHO. I manage the large grip with tricks like flagging or curling the thumb. But if I had to shoot single-handed all the time, I'd use smaller grip panels--especially on the non-shooting side--so my fingers could generate a more symmetrical clamp.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Two short Ben Stoeger videos on getting enough grip circumference.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsJJYkvMw3q/

David S.

I'm working through the same issues.

With the large backstrap installed, the CZ P-09 and P-07 gives me a 1/2" of gap between my strong hand and the meaty part of my thumb. The other polymer wonder guns are similar. The M&P 2.0 and P30 with large panels is slightly better, giving me 0.7". At this point, I think I'm going to want at least a full inch of gap.

Applying significant support hand pressure tends to push my strong hand fingers forward off the front strap. Flagging the strong hand thumb reduces contact between the web of my hand and the rear tang.

I'll be experimenting with a Beretta 92 over the next couple weeks.

@SeriousStudent
    David S.

Really good thread, glad to see it’s not just me. And I don’t have gorilla hands, I ware an XL glove but really my hands are not that big. But I almost always go with the largest back strap/palm swell that comes with the gun and even then it often feels too small. I bought a Beretta APX a1 on a whim and that grip even with the large back strap feels too small.

User Tag List