Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: December 2022 Winter Storm

December 2022 Winter Storm

https://www.foxweather.com/watch/play-618a608ec00004b

"Significant winter storm likely going to impact millions in the East into Christmas weekend

There’s increasing confidence that a significant winter storm will slam the East and could cause a travel nightmare into Christmas weekend."

Ya'll doing ok out there? I'm seeing reports of whiteouts and blizzards up North, massive car pile ups due to the icy roads, and many flight and train cancellations throughout the country. Even talk of something called a "bomb cyclone", which sounds pretty bad.

We just moved up to Tavares FL, about 30 miles NW of Orlando in Lake County. NWS issued a hard freeze and this morning I'm seeing 29F and clear, which is pretty dad gone cold for anybody, especially for us in Florida, who are mostly unprepared for this sort of thing.

Name:  IMG_1795.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  17.8 KB

Site Supporter
    I live in Michigan and so far the worst part is it's the first snow fall in awhile. Everyone somehow forgets that you can go 80 on the expressway in a blizzard for the first one in a long time. But snowfall so far is less than the Ness a few days ago would make you think. Because of the holidays I suspect we will have a bunch of accidents though.

In the Florida panhandle it's 17 with 3 degree wind chill.
    That doesn't happen often here.

-4ish in SW Virginia. Woke up a couple of minutes ago to an error code on the fuel oil heater and 39 degrees in that in of the house. I think the oil line froze in th night due to having direct sub-zero winds on it. Working now. The end of the house with the wood stove was 53. Got the heater but online and the woo stove is cooking so I think we are good. Relatively speaking, we have it pretty good, 48k out of electricity in my region. Seems to be small pockets of outages everydamnwhere. Got to suck for the linemen. Just taking the dogs out yesterday had my fingers freezing!
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter
    14deg here in Eastern NC (visiting mom). We still have power, but there are reports of outages in the region.

Back home in NoVA, we're down to low double digits. Our trip home today has us stopping to visit family in Richmond, they're a degree or so higher than our NoVA home.

Power lines at home are buried, so power loss there is a minor concern.

At my buddy's in WV, they're currently sitting at 0deg with a negative wind chill.

Chris

-2 with wind chill around -28 over night. We've shot matches in worse

Ill find out how much it did or did not suck when I get to the barn and see if my little heater kept the water supply alive or not.

My dad in SW Ohio was without electricity from 0400 until just after midnight this morning. He’d stocked the garage Wednesday with firewood for the stove so he wouldn’t have to go back and forth from the wood pile. He heated up leftovers on the stove so he was in better shape than a lot of people in his area.
    I’m one county over and the power stayed on but due to the cold I’ve been tending the plumbing. It’s up to 1 above now so it should be ok. I didn’t leave home yesterday so no idea what the roads are like. I was planning on visiting my daughter in the Columbus area later.

Currently 8 degrees in the Atlanta burbs. Wind-chill is down to -7. Some outages due to tree limbs but not too bad. Driving early Friday AM was like an obstacle course. Winds peaked out at 40 mph overnight and debris was all over the place.

Pretty rare that we see single digits, and even more rare that it's for more than one night.

Well stocked on bourbon and beer. Planning to smoke a prime rib today. Hope the camp chef can keep up.

2 degrees here, wind chill of -12.

And of course my heat pump went out last night.

Radiators knocking and the winds rattling the siding every so often here in St Paul.
    Currently -6 F, windchill around -25 F.
    Contrary to popular perception, this is pretty cold for late December here. We mostly don’t get the deep freezes until mid-January & early February. The roads were all glare ice last night; I was doing more sliding than braking.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List