Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: December 2022 Winter Storm

Haven’t lost power here in central OH. Good bit of snow and get to -5 the other night.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Site Supporter
    Still snowing here in WNY. Travel bans in place. 17 dead. One guy found frozen on the street in a drift near a neighborhood where I used to live back in the 60's and 70's. He was reported at 2:00 AM and they couldn't get to him till 9:00 PM. Was a nice lower - mid class area then. Today it's a little more decayed.

Plows came by at 4:00 AM. Still don't know if I can get out of the garage. But stores are closed and travel banned anyway. The Forester has a X Mode setting for such driving but I'm staying in. Wife is complaining the cookie and chocolate supplies are diminishing.

PS - 27 dead.

Today's out the front door. County exec had a news conference and told old toots not to shovel as you will drop dead if you have a cardiac history. I do. Daughter has been telling me not. Wife also. OK, time for more dry fire. Still have food.

Name:  snow 9-26 2.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  32.1 KBName:  snow 9-26 1.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  28.6 KB
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 12-26-2022 at 10:00 AM.

Glenn, stay warm, stay safe.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Not sure why but I didn't see anyone with chains during this last 6'' snowfall. Maybe better tires and full time 4x4 has mostly replaced the need for those. Subaru is a very popular SUV here. People used to use studded tires also but I don't see those much anymore either. 2WD anything isn't a good idea around here when it snows unless one uses chains. I used to commute 25 miles to work with a 2WD pickup and never had a problem but putting on chains every morning to get to work is a PIA.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

That's quite a snowstorm... Will you stock up on more supplies when you get a chance? If so, what will you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Still snowing here in WNY. Travel bans in place. 17 dead. One guy found frozen on the street in a drift near a neighborhood where I used to live back in the 60's and 70's. He was reported at 2:00 AM and they couldn't get to him till 9:00 PM. Was a nice lower - mid class area then. Today it's a little more decayed.

Plows came by at 4:00 AM. Still don't know if I can get out of the garage. But stores are closed and travel banned anyway. The Forester has a X Mode setting for such driving but I'm staying in. Wife is complaining the cookie and chocolate supplies are diminishing.

PS - 27 dead.

Today's out the front door. County exec had a news conference and told old toots not to shovel as you will drop dead if you have a cardiac history. I do. Daughter has been telling me not. Wife also. OK, time for more dry fire. Still have food.

Name:  snow 9-26 2.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  32.1 KBName:  snow 9-26 1.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  28.6 KB
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I see a flamethrower in Glenn's future.

Stay warm Glenn!

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Not sure why but I didn't see anyone with chains during this last 6'' snowfall. Maybe better tires and full time 4x4 has mostly replaced the need for those. Subaru is a very popular SUV here. People used to use studded tires also but I don't see those much anymore either. 2WD anything isn't a good idea around here when it snows unless one uses chains. I used to commute 25 miles to work with a 2WD pickup and never had a problem but putting on chains every morning to get to work is a PIA.
    Chains? In the PNW? Most of the people from California still identify as Californians, so they don't need chains or all-weather tires.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    - and we have no shortage of flashlights ( ;-).

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Played tennis for 2 hrs this morning. 56* right now.
    See? See? Nobody is “liking” this shit… check your snow white privilege , bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

We are driving the last section over Mt. Hood today.
    You home safe?

The same friend who got stranded in PDX last year got stranded here this year. Which is a lot better, aside from missing the family Christmas altogether.

It took my little bro 2.5 days to get here… from San Francisco.

I’d rather shop at 7/11 unarmed at 1am than fly during winter in our current resource-poor system.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Chains? In the PNW? Most of the people from California still identify as Californians, so they don't need chains or all-weather tires.
    It's been a while since I visited Mt. Hood (long while - early 2000s), almost every vehicle had them. We were up the mountain when the highway closed due to a snowstorm. When the closure lifted, almost every vehicle was putting them on in the parking lot or along the side of the road before heading down.

It would appear things have (pardon the pun)... chainged.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    You home safe?

The same friend who got stranded in PDX last year got stranded here this year. Which is a lot better, aside from missing the family Christmas altogether.

It took my little bro 2.5 days to get here… from San Francisco.

I’d rather shop at 7/11 unarmed at 1am than fly during winter in our current resource-poor system.
    Yeah, thanks for asking. The last leg on 26 over Hood was pretty easy, other than heavy fog in the Rez. There was a crazy inversion where it was 20 in Burns and 42 in Government Camp. So once we started climbing it warmed up and all the ice and snow was gone. The wreckage along the road was some Mad Max shit.

User Tag List