Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: December 2022 Winter Storm

It was 4 degrees here in Knoxville when I got up a few hours ago. It's all the way up to 5 degrees now...
    We are having rolling blackouts across Tennessee, but they seem to only last a few minutes. I had one this morning that lasted about 20 minutes.

But we are dry and I count that a blessing. These people can't drive in the rain (Retired ER RN so I know this as a fact). Please Lord don't give them snow or ice...

We hit zero this morning in the western NC mountains. First time I can remember in some years. We're at 2500'.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Yesterday morning we got into single digits in central Texas. Combined with the winds it made for a very cold walk with the dog. She, being part great Pyrenees and having that thick coat, was loving it. In the teens this am. I've been stalling her off but the dogs getting impatient. At least it loomms like the winds have calmed.
    Last edited by JclInAtx; 12-24-2022 at 09:17 AM.

Site Supporter
    Blizzard still raging. Emergency services say it's iffy if they can get to you. National Guard called out.

Idiots still drive. One bad one, Hubby, wife and new born released from hospital and stuck about a mile or two from us. They were rescued. Hospital should have kept them but maybe they just wanted to get home. Bad idea.

The view out the front door. Garage is probably worse but I won't open it as the chance that I can't shut it. Drift is about 4 to 5 feet.

Name:  Front door snow.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  17.2 KB

-5, windchill -34 going to work yesterday. I felt for my old troops who have to get out in it. We wound up with around four inches of snow which isn't much, but add 50mph winds along with it and it gets sporty.

Name:  20221222_075209.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  17.8 KB
    Name:  20221222_075344.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  14.3 KB
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

A balmy 10 degrees here thanks to the big lake, of course that is also what we can thank all of our lake effect snow for as well. Visibility is very low with 50 mph winds. Much of the year I like my 500 ft driveway, not so much when it is like this. I guess it doesn't matter as most things including the main interstate are closed.

Site Supporter
    Brother in Seattle lost electricity last night, but it was back on this morning.

Not sad that Arizona is missing out on this Arctic front.

little heater did not work. now starts the 30+ five gallon bucket run from the house to all the fields.

Not at all complaining though, turns out we are one of the few who still have power. The fire and community halls have been set up as warming shelters for people without wood/coal stoves, however the roads are still pretty bad with ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Blizzard still raging. Emergency services say it's iffy if they can get to you. National Guard called out.

Idiots still drive. One bad one, Hubby, wife and new born released from hospital and stuck about a mile or two from us. They were rescued. Hospital should have kept them but maybe they just wanted to get home. Bad idea.

The view out the front door. Garage is probably worse but I won't open it as the chance that I can't shut it. Drift is about 4 to 5 feet.

Name:  Front door snow.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  17.2 KB
    Wasn't a movie made about this? The Day After Tomorrow or some such?
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

I guess the car doesn’t register wind chill… cover up out there kids.

User Tag List