Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Another 2011 variant... Oracle Arms 2311

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Why did Atlas delete the grip safety? I guess these companies think it is redundant and unnecessary? I'd be questioning how these guns may or may not be drop safe without a grip safety (and the thumb safety off.)
    I suspect there are two factors - first is cost savings. Why fit, blend, and tune a grip safety if you can mold the polymer frame/grip module to delete it?

The second reason is that many customers seem to not care. Plenty of instagram warriors posting their 1911/2011 with a rubber band to defeat the grip safety.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I suspect there are two factors - first is cost savings. Why fit, blend, and tune a grip safety if you can mold the polymer frame/grip module to delete it?

The second reason is that many customers seem to not care. Plenty of instagram warriors posting their 1911/2011 with a rubber band to defeat the grip safety.
    USPSA does not require a grip safety, it can be absent or be pinned, whatever. I don't keep up with IDPA but I know they used to forbid disabling a factory safety, so if you didn't want it, you wanted a gun that never had it.

My competition guns have them active, but in a way they are stupid for competition, and people disable them just like slide stops.

Atlas is making range toys and competition guns, they aren't selling 6K pistols to cops to carry.

This looks very interesting. I am very excited to see all of these new 2011 style pistols now hitting the market and getting reviews. Parts becoming more prevalent, etc.

Atlas doesn’t use a polymer grip.

Grip safeties are not necessary on competition guns and most of the top brands pin it.

Why did Atlas delete the grip safety? I guess these companies think it is redundant and unnecessary? I'd be questioning how these guns may or may not be drop safe without a grip safety (and the thumb safety off.)
    Plenty of competition setups used in USPSA are either absolutely, or probably, not drop safe. Open single-action guns with 1.5# triggers, CZ Shadow 2’s with two pound SA triggers and extended firing pins, and P320’s with 2 pound trigger jobs and lighter sear springs all come to mind. And, a significant number of single stack competitors disable the grip safety.

USPSA and IPSC overall have an excellent safety record with millions of scores posted in the past 30 years, but there has been one highly publicized fatal incident with a modified Shadow 2 being dropped on a concrete surface. The other two fatal incidents involved a competitor hit by a rifle round (not shot as part of the match) that deflected from a rocky berm, and an IPSC competitor in Canada who tried to grab a fumbled pistol.

USPSA competitors in properly run matches arguably face far more risk simply driving to the match.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Did we discuss why OA chose to delete the grip safety from this design?
    Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    USPSA does not require a grip safety, it can be absent or be pinned, whatever. I don't keep up with IDPA but I know they used to forbid disabling a factory safety, so if you didn't want it, you wanted a gun that never had it.

My competition guns have them active, but in a way they are stupid for competition, and people disable them just like slide stops.

Atlas is making range toys and competition guns, they aren't selling 6K pistols to cops to carry.
    Quote Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
    Atlas doesn’t use a polymer grip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Plenty of competition setups used in USPSA are either absolutely, or probably, not drop safe. Open single-action guns with 1.5# triggers, CZ Shadow 2’s with two pound SA triggers and extended firing pins, and P320’s with 2 pound trigger jobs and lighter sear springs all come to mind. And, a significant number of single stack competitors disable the grip safety.
    Apologies - I think my response to Tokarev is responsible for a bit of thread drift. I was commenting on the OA decision to omit the grip safety; Atlas is clearly marketed in a different direction and price level. However, unlike Atlas, Oracle Defense is marketing themselves towards MIL/LE/defensive use.

Apologies - I think my response to Tokarev is responsible for a bit of thread drift. I was commenting on the OA decision to omit the grip safety; Atlas is clearly marketed in a different direction and price level. However, unlike Atlas, Oracle Defense is marketing themselves towards MIL/LE/defensive use.
    Legend has it that the 1911 wasn't intended to have one by JMB either, it was a cavalry request, so it got added. The BHP doesn't have one, and it doesn't seem like Sig, CZ or Beretta feel like an SA gun with a thumb safety need one either.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Legend has it that the 1911 wasn't intended to have one by JMB either, it was a cavalry request, so it got added. The BHP doesn't have one, and it doesn't seem like Sig, CZ or Beretta feel like an SA gun with a thumb safety need one either.
    Wilson Combat also eliminated it for the EDC X9.

I'm agnostic as to whether a manufacturer deletes the grip safety. Presumably for service use such a firearm would need to pass agency testing as configured. I think if a defensive user feels the need to defeat a manufacturer safety, they're probably better off choosing a different firearm. YMMV.

The OA 2311 isn’t a 1911/2011. It never had a grip safety.

User Tag List