Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Another 2011 variant... Oracle Arms 2311

Finally found a shop that had one in the case. Seemed really well made and fit my hand like a glove. Had some sharp edges in the safeties that would need taken care of, but overall I was impressed.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Finally found a shop that had one in the case. Seemed really well made and fit my hand like a glove. Had some sharp edges in the safeties that would need taken care of, but overall I was impressed.
    The 2311 seems to be more "serious" than the Platypus although both are essentially untested at this point. I do like the "2011" frame used on the Oracle. Hopefully OD green, FDE, gray and other colors will be an option.

Hopefully the 2311 optic plate system is solid. Hopefully the company is also working on a 509T and ACRO option.

Anyone know what holsters might fit? I assume the PHLSTER or Werkz Origin will work fine with the corresponding light attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The 2311 seems to be more "serious" than the Platypus although both are essentially untested at this point. I do like the "2011" frame used on the Oracle. Hopefully OD green, FDE, gray and other colors will be an option.

Hopefully the 2311 optic plate system is solid. Hopefully the company is also working on a 509T and ACRO option.

Anyone know what holsters might fit? I assume the PHLSTER or Werkz Origin will work fine with the corresponding light attached.
    That's a whole lot of "hopefully"s in one post! As the evaluators at the NTC used to say: "Hope is not an operational concept."

I agree though. I'm interested in both this and the Platypus since my shrinking retirement budget doesn't have room for a C2, and I'd rather have a pistol that costs a grand less and feeds of relatively inexpensive magazines. Did we discuss why OA chose to delete the grip safety from this design?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    That's a whole lot of "hopefully"s in one post! As the evaluators at the NTC used to say: "Hope is not an operational concept."

I agree though. I'm interested in both this and the Platypus since my shrinking retirement budget doesn't have room for a C2, and I'd rather have a pistol that costs a grand less and feeds of relatively inexpensive magazines. Did we discuss why OA chose to delete the grip safety from this design?
    Why did Atlas delete the grip safety? I guess these companies think it is redundant and unnecessary? I'd be questioning how these guns may or may not be drop safe without a grip safety (and the thumb safety off.)

The 4.5# trigger on the standard 2311 is probably okay. What about the 3.5# trigger on the Pro model? Is there enough inertia caused by a shoulder height drop if the thumb safety is off?

In any case, the Oracle is marketed as a duty or defense sidearm while the Platypus is marketed more as a range gun or competition piece. Marketing efforts aside I'd speculate that the Oracle is the more practical piece. The external extractor "should be" without drama. The 2311 also has a minor amount of modularity with the removable mag well. Ambi features should also appeal to a broader market. Do we know yet if the right side paddle on the 2311 is durable? And is there a gap or anything that may make it a snag point?

Personally, I think I'd spring for the 2311 Compact version and then add the full-size mag well. This should yield what's essentially a Commander. The dust cover on the Compact appears to be long enough to accept most weapon lights.

Personally, I think I'd spring for the 2311 Compact version and then add the full-size mag well. This should yield what's essentially a Commander. The dust cover on the Compact appears to be long enough to accept most weapon lights.
    That's exactly what I was thinking, and then have the "range" size 17-round mag and the "carry" size 15 round magazine.

BUT, just like the Platypus, I hate the idea of plunking that kind of money down on an untested platform from a manufacturer who has, functionally, no history. Where will either of those pistols be in 5 years? How will one get parts/support should either company go the way of the dodo?

Seems like most prospective customers will not stay with one long enough to wear it out, there will be something new long before that. "Look! Squirrel!"

I guess parts and service would be a consideration in the secondary market.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

I guess parts and service would be a consideration in the secondary market.
    I'd assume that as Oracle catches up with production, they'd start selling parts. Maybe not all the parts but at least replacement grip modules and things like recoil springs. Threaded barrels and stuff should be sold, too. That's assuming the barrels don't require a bunch of fitting.

I don't know if anyone has confirmed, but when I visited the Oracle booth at SHOT 2023, one of the reps told me the sear, disconnector, hammer, etc, were standard 1911 parts. I think he said it was also possible to fit a different 1911 slide and even a barrel with the traditional 1911 swinging link. If this is true that should ease some concerns about long-term support and replacement parts.

Why did Atlas delete the grip safety? I guess these companies think it is redundant and unnecessary? I'd be questioning how these guns may or may not be drop safe without a grip safety (and the thumb safety off.)
    So the grip safety would prevent a trigger bounce style drop discharge. That being said, a properly designed 1911 trigger system should catch the hammer in the half cock notch in such a scenario.

My carry is an EDC X9, also no grip safety.

I just looked over both the compact and full size versions at a local shop. I don't visit this place often so timing was good. The kid behind the counter told me the guns had just come in yesterday.

Both guns looked pretty solid. Nice smooth actions. Good triggers, etc. Both are a little sharp at the back corners of the thumb safeties as previously noted. This surprised me as otherwise the guns seemed well executed.

I'm not sure why the compact model is $300 less expensive than the full size. Other than the length, the two guns seem identical. Same iron sights, etc.

User Tag List