Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ75B vs. BD vs. Omega

CZ75B vs. BD vs. Omega

So I've become interested in purchasing a classic-ish CZ75B pistol. This isn't going to replace my Glocks or Staccato for defense or competition purposes...I just have an interest in service pistols and the CZ series seems next on the list. The retro Cold War vibes speak to me; no need for an accessory rail to ruin the lines, so the Tactical or Shadow need not apply.

A local gun store has a NOS CZ75B - looks like 1996 manufacture - for about $700. That seems the going rate for a new manufacture CZ75B. I wasn't sure if there was something that makes a NOS gun from the 90s more or less desirable than something rolling off the production line today. The classic manual of arms has some appeal just in terms of learning the original gun and having the option to try it cocked and locked. The pistol itself looks terrific.

However, I noticed that Palmetto State Armory currently sells the CZ75B Omega for $549 - $150 less than the standard or decocker only BD model. I feel like I'm missing something here. The ability to convert between the classic safety and the decocker seems like a nice feature. Is there something negative about the Omega that merits the discount? I do understand there were some early issues with the design.

Welcome advice from the CZ75 cognoscenti here.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

75B - standard DA/SA with safety and firing pin safety
    75BD - standard DA/SA with decocker and firing pin safety
    Omega - a total redesign of the lockwork; it's much, much, much easier for the end user to work on and adjust.

You can get a good trigger really fast with minimal fidgeting with an Omega system, but if you've got time/money/skill you can wring a better trigger out of the older sear cage setup.

It really depends on what you want to do with it, I guess...I'm not a gamer, so for me, the flexibility of an Omega system is really good. I've got a couple of DA/SA sear cage guns (CZ97s and a P01) and they're a royal pain to get into the guts of and reassemble...I've got a bunch of spare lifter springs around just in case.

Working on a CZ 75 isn’t that hard if you don’t disassemble the sear cage. I’d go for a SP01 or P01 non-Omega, and leave the new action to the excellent P-07.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

$550 was a good pre covid price, $700 for a used CZ75B seems nutty to me. I dont buy that a 25 year old gun is "new old stock". The CZ75 has typically been $75-100 below the price of the P01 or SP01 models. Also the Omega action was designed to be cheaper to produce than the traditional CZ75 action.

If your getting it because you like the platform or just want a fun though practical gun, I would say go for it. If you are interested in the CZ75 for historical reasons, a CZ75B will be closer to the actual service pistols than the Omega, and a pre-B will be even closer.

Having widened my search, I'm now finding new CZ-75Bs for under $500. I'm really tempted.

https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product/...tic-grip-black
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I always liked them in principle and wanted to add one for the same reasons. I managed to distract myself by deciding that it had to be an early Sphinx; it has saved me a lot of money so far.

eta: gosh darn it. I just -had- to check gunbroker.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Standard SP01 for me… when I bought it, the Omegas were just rolling out. Forget what the original hesitation was with them, but could have just been “how they always were” mentality.

I’ve always preferred frame mounted safeties and slide mounted decockers (SIG, I sort of give a pass as it is so far forward on the frame). Think it just comes down to my hand size. Reason why my Berettas are always G models and I converted my 1006 to decock only. If I could get my Walther PP to decock only… I probably would.

CZs are one of those guns that people usually don’t recognize as good guns. I’ve loved mine, more so when I moved to Maine and didn’t have to worry about magazine limits. I do also think that the CZ Kadet kits are some of the better .22 conversions out… even though I just sold mine (rather have dedicated .22 hosts than a kit that I’d have to put a threaded barrel on).

But will agree… working on them can be a pain. I had the hammer swapped for a traditional spur hammer. I originally picked up an adjustable sear to make it easy, but it would allow the safety to go on with the hammer down. Had a gunsmith fit the original sear, and has been great.

And of course… the Tac Block. [emoji41]

Picked that up more for the actual block, as I wanted to check it out. Blade is useless… but did get a holster made for the pistol with block.

Instructions for disassembly and reassembly of CZ-75 type guns
    http://www.olegnikitin.com/news/comp...5-sp-01-shadow
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Cajun Gun Works has a number of tutorials on the CZs and offer a couple of tools to make the work easier.

Not sure how familiar you are, but there are two different beaver tails you'll see on 75 variants. The classic 75b usually has an older stubby one and newer frames have a longer swept one. To me the newer style always felt better and so I gravitated towards the SP01/P01. Ultimately I bought a 75b SAO as it had the newer frames but had nicer lines than the railed variants. I think the Omega guns use the newer frames style.

I eventually sold the SAO because it didn't serve any real purpose for me. Not a good carry gun, didn't fit into any competition division well. I'm occasionally tempted to get a P01 or 75B Omega though.

User Tag List