Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog advice

Saddest thread I have seen in a long while. Like many here, I have very much enjoyed watching Astro frolic in the Alaskan wilderness. Thank you for sharing that happiness with us. I can't believe we don't have a vet in our forum. Christmas is about hope, and here is a small ray. At least from what this unscientific mind has been able to read, dementia and elevated liver enzymes do not necessarily go together. A dog can have dementia all by itself, but that is not what is happening here. Maybe if your vet can knock out whatever is causing the elevated enzymes, then Astro's cognitive health gets better. That's my hope and prayer.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

My wife and I have always enjoyed that bumper sticker, "my Vizsla is smarter than your honor student." Unfortunately that changed. We resolved to just work with her and see how she responds.

This morning she seemed more comfortable and lifted her head to us using her name. Taking her for a walk now and hoping for the best.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Good luck with everything and keep us posted.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife and I have always enjoyed that bumper sticker, "my Vizsla is smarter than your honor student." Unfortunately that changed. We resolved to just work with her and see how she responds.

This morning she seemed more comfortable and lifted her head to us using her name. Taking her for a walk now and hoping for the best.
    Hoping for the best for the Mandes family as well. I have enjoyed my vizsla by proxy since you shared puppy pics on the api list.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Great bumper sticker.

I hope she continues to improve.

Good luck Astro.

I had a Springer Spaniel that went through a period of weird behavior and was in good physical health. She thought she was starving and started knocking over garbage cans to find food. She ate 3 cups of dog food a day, which was her normal ration, but still hungry. She also chased chukars until she was lost which is very unusual for a Springer. I had to recover her a number of times after she wouldn't respond to a whistle. All this was in her later years. Probably started when she was around 12. I had to let her go when she was 14. Maybe a coincidence but my last girl, a Wirehaired Griffon departed when she was 14. They'll tell you when it's time. Never easy.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Prayers out as well. It’s tough. They’re family. Don’t give up on her. (I’m sure you won’t.) we had a German Shorthair that lived three more wonderful years after going totally blind. A bit different, but I guess my point is they obviously have drive. We're their guardians in the end. You’ll do what’s right I’m sure.

Peace
    @GJM my wife is an oncologist and it’s super tough to see a loved one suffer. Ultimately it’s about dying with dignity amongst loved ones, even if we want them to stay forever.

When we had to put our 20 year old girl cat and 14 year old boy cat down over the course of the last few years, home pet hospice was wonderful and absolutely a blessing.

Wishing the best for a speedy recovery for Astro, but sometimes a peaceful and dignified exit amongst your loved ones is all any of us can ask for really.

Wishing you peace and healing over this holiday season.

So sad to see this. Thoughts are with you all. Thanks so much for sharing your and Astro's adventures with us all.

Site Supporter
    I am saddened by this as well, but it may be time...

Thoughts and prayers, George, Charlie, and Astro...ASTRO....

pat

Y’all are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List