Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog advice

Hammertime
    I have been off forum. I am so sad to hear this!

keep us up to date please.

Just saw this she might not be in pain so hang in a while and see if things get better.
    Been down this road many times you will know when the time is right to go back to the vet.

The hardest one I had to deal with was 11-Month-old had a rare form of cancer.
    We did not let him suffer there is no cure for what he had ... my Wife got sick from crying so much and almost laned in the hospital.

She flew to pick him up when he was 8 weeks old few Months later, he was gone ... truly wish you guys the best !
    As long as there is no sign of pain enjoy every minute.

When we were in a similar situation 8 years ago our vet said something I will never forget. Making the decision at the right time for your pet (vs for you) is the last loving thing you can do. I am sure you will do your best for Astro.

Best wishes on this - I know how brutal it is. In some ways harder than with human family since it is harder to fully know what is going on.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Sorry to hear this. I have always considered her part of the forum.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    @GJM My girlfriend is a veterinarian, she'd be happy to take a look and offer a second opinion. Do you have copies of the diagnostic tests run? PM inbound.

Hoping to hear a positive update… as LL already said, Astro is like the P-F mascot.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Astro was born in June 2009, so she came of age as PF did.

We are in a monitoring phase, observing how she does. She has definitely improved from a few days ago, when she didn't know who we are. She is responding to her name, just came in from a 45 minute walk, where she ran off leash for half of it. She is not anxious like she was, is sleeping well at night, no accidents, appetite back to normal, which means a picky Vizsla. We will probably know more in the coming days. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and thoughts.

She felt well enough to pose for a holiday picture this morning!

Name:  4A81EE81-5273-4737-ACDD-E035B91CC005.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  61.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

When our female dog got old and senile, the best thing we did was get a younger male dog for her. It gave her purpose and despite her cognitive impairment she was able to take cues from him. Ever since then our family has had 2 dogs as they really help each other in ways humans cannot. God bless Astro.

Lola at 15 (left), Jazzy-Boo at 4 (right). Initially he was her shadow but he quickly became her “seeing eye dog” and guided her everywhere. Lola has long since returned to our creator and Jazzy-Boo is now 13. My wife and I are discussing getting a 3rd dog to let him mentor a young male while he is still physically capable.

Name:  7B58AB03-509F-4D2A-BA8E-ACFD578FBB53.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  65.4 KB
    Last edited by Squib308; 12-25-2022 at 01:35 PM.

If your vet can't see you in less than a couple weeks, you need a new vet. That's not an acceptable answer for a dog with a new problem, especially if you have an existing relationship with that vet.

From the sounds of it, that could be either a neurological issue (such as a very small stroke), or something like a UTI (which I would suspect due to accidents). Could even be vision and hearing. There are some not-great diagnoses in this particular deck, and there's also "she's getting old".

If she's eating well and is otherwise still being "doggy", then she's not suffering. Even if her appetite declines, there are plenty of ways to help her maintain weight and it doesn't necessarily mean she's miserable. Look at an alternate vet--which isn't ideal, always best to see a vet that knows your animal--but bloodwork isn't a bad idea. If it's a UTI, she could use at the very least some supportive measures to keep her hydrated. Monitor her fluid intake closely. If it seems like she's not drinking enough, try boiling some chicken bones down, straining the fat and solids out, and mixing that into a bowl of water to get her going. Again, not as good as straight water, but better to keep her hydrated.

User Tag List