Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog advice

Dog advice

Our dog, Astro, is a female Vizsla, who turns 14 this summer. She has been remarkably healthy, and led a vigorous life. Even though she has slowed down with the years, she still gets more than 60 minutes running most days.

About a week ago, we started noticing some cognitive changes in her. She seemed to be wandering more in the house, sniffing everywhere, and even sniffing us all over. In the last few days, she acts like she doesn’t know who we are, doesn’t respond to “Astro,” has been making some unusual vocalizations, acts constantly hungry, is not interested in her favorite green laser, and generally acts like she doesn’t know where she is. Her vision is still good, based on her seeing things in the distance. She has also peed in the house twice, which she hasn’t done since she was a puppy. When we took her on one of her regular walks today, she just wanted to stop and sniff everything, and ultimately we leashed her. She has no problem covering ground, she just doesn’t want to run like she did earlier in the week.

We stopped into the vet, but they can’t see her until early January.

This fits what Google says about dementia, but it seems awfully sudden. Not sure if a UTI can cause confusion like in older people. We are doing our best to keep her comfortable, but if there is some condition that is treatable, obviously we want to do that.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm sorry. Don't prolong it out of a sense of duty. I just did this with my daughter's 11 year old GSD. I know you'll do what's right for Astro.

This is a total shot in the dark, but I would venture the cause might be something like a mild stroke.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

If she is eating and eliminating properly that is a good sign. Keep her well hydrated and maybe start her on some antibiotics prophetically. Antibiotics can’t hurt and may nip a UTI in the bud.

Seems potentially more serious than "early January." If this is your regular vet I would press the point of being seen.

@GJM sorry for your pup. Is there an urgent care vet that can do some basic labs (kidneys especially) and check urine?

Or would your vet allow labs asap without a visit?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I am so sorry to hear this.

Could she have got into something she shouldn’t have edible-wise?

Don’t give up on her, she wouldn’t give up on you.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I put our previous dog down due to what our vet thought was dementia. Kind of the same symptoms. If I was around he kind of seemed fine. He'd wander off if left alone outside. I think he didn't know where he was, and if I wasn't visible he'd forget we were together.

No real way to know for sure with a dog, I guess.

We did try a round of antibiotics because he'd had a few oddball infections over the years, but none that effected him cognitively.

My kids were little at the time and I was worried he might get scared and attack them, or forget who my wife and I were too and just end up snarling in a corner somewhere, so I had him put to sleep.

In the end maybe it's better for the dog because they don't know what's going on vs some sort of physical injury where they are with it mentally and in pain, or irreparable, and need to be put down.

Sorry, man.

In retrospect it seemed like it had been going on a long time, so if it is dementia, January may be OK. Maybe a few more messes in the house.

Site Supporter
    If we are concerned our vet finds a way to work in seeing our dog even when there are no appointments. It usually involves dropping her off for a morning or afternoon. There is also a very good emergency vet not far from us. It might be worth looking for one.

I've always enjoyed your photos from Alaska with Astro. Hoping for a timely and positive outcome.

@GJM, push to get Astro to the vet soon. It sounds like she's suffering and doesn't deserve that.

We can make guesses, but it's impossible for any of us to know whats going on.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List