Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My 3 Minute Knife Defense Vid of Live Goes

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I still haven't gotten around to the videos, Dan, so forgive me if I'm missing something, or misinterpreting something.

If I'm visualizing correctly, the jamming of the opponent's forward momentum would be a lot easier by someone built like Paul, or you, rather than someone much thinner, correct?

Or should I stop asking stupid questions covered by the video work?

Thanks for sharing and the discussion.
    You work with what you got...

Structure of body and arm...

people always think that works this works your big small guy techniques that is mostly BS excuses..proper is proper...can you stop as much as a lineman? well no, physics applies.......but better then them impaling you multiple times sewing machine style which is the common intent

Sensitivity and Timing is overlooked ball all low level people that just want to point to size strength when that has very little to do with anything most times in most positions unless everyone is at a high level
    Merry Xmas, stay safe

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheWolfman View Post
    Great thank you, make sure to go through check out all my Playlists to find more what you are looking for. As I am older after knee surgery now. There was good Combatives stuff put out this past year after an Army Ranger Officer now turned Feebie had me in for a Seminar, and the most recent stuff.

Better MMA/Catch Wrestling/No Gi BJJ stuff when younger. Make sure to look for Combaties & Street Jiu-jitsu stuff by me as well.

Are you LE or 1st Responder? Currently training in anything?

Any questions anyone has...it helps to know your background and experience level, so I can talk in terms you better understand.

Apparently I am much better communicating on Video opposed to typing lol.

Cheers.
    Re: my background: I make my living behind a desk as a patent attorney. I wrestled JV in high school, earned a black belt in Isshinryu Karate while in college, trained under a few other instructors since then, and most recently spent about 3 1/2 years training in MMA under a retired police officer. Some of my training has included offensive use of a knife or stick. I have been shooting since I was 11 years old, obtained my first concealed handgun license in 1996, and have taken various training courses since then. I am certified to teach NRA Basic Pistol. Lately I get to shoot fewer than 10 times/year due to other responsibilities.

Unfortunately I am not currently training except keeping my physical fitness up as bast I can, but I need to change that soon. There is a good BJJ school within 5 minutes of my home. I have been somewhat limited lately by osteoarthritis in my knees, and just completed my third series of physical therapy.

If you also have knee issues, perhaps we need to compare notes.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 12-26-2022 at 11:41 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thank you.

that sorta backhammer-jabby Stab like Darryl has used on the Walking Dead to stab into Walkers Foreheads I actually haven't seen on CCTV. There was a study of more traditional overhead Psycho reverse grip downward stabs...like towards face or into heart which I have seen on CCTV and it was 13% of attacks if memory serves.

The one you describe would be harder to defend for sure, but that seems a little more like something someone would do squaring off or knife dueling....Ie you should have ran or Circled while drawing and putting a barrier in between if they take up a stance.

Thinking about it....
    Let's say against their more common right hand attack....
    A reactive 2 fisted Grab reverse baseball bat might be instinctual and happen and could attempt rolling your left elbow over into Waki Gatame to break their elbow/elbow armpit armbar to bring them face first into the ground.

IF just your left hand shot to their wrist...it may be possible to do a then right hand under Figure 4 Top Wristlock takdown like in all the old Gracie Aikido Hapkido JKD techniques....but I think this won't be high percentage and fall apart in real pressure testing due to limited reaction and hand speed grab times. I might pull it off but doubt many could idk.

Against the Psycho overhead.....if you plan on doing the Dog Catcher Kwan Sou technique to JAM into them but suddenly realize it's reverse grip overhead you turn the same block into like a high X-block type of motion and Pass it to two on 1 anyways......

The Same, could be attempted Horizontally to Your reverse Stab....but then again that is a fast speed less committed attack so ....going to be harder TO STICK to the arm to get CONNECTION to pass to the 2 on 1.

That is a hard attack to counter I think.

Let me know if that makes sense and what you think.
    That does make sense, and I agree it is very difficult to defend against.

The reason I mentioned it after hearing the comment about overhead is that I was previously taught what I believe to be a very good response to an overhead attack, and became very good at that response. Then, I (perhaps foolishly) injected myself into a domestic situation in a neighboring apartment. As I was in the hallway listening and attempting to determine exactly what was happening, the man who was beating up the mother of his kid walked out of the apartment. He saw me, tried to tell me there was no problem, and went back into the apartment. Neither of us realized that when he stepped outside, the lady retrieved a knife from the kitchen. He immediately exited the apartment followed by her (wearing a night shirt and not much else) making use of the knife in reverse grip, using a straight thrust. He made some weak, ineffectual attempts to grab the knife, and was then chased out of the building by her. Deciding she had things under control, I went back in my apartment. (She later thanked me for attempting to help.)

As soon as I saw the attack, I realized that the technique I had been taught would not work against that attack.

Since that event, I have also seen SouthNarc's posts about the Pikal system on another forum. That system relies on a reverse grip, edge in thrusting motion. If a thrust is blocked, it presents an opportunity to simply withdraw the knife hand, taking some flesh from the blocking arm in the process. While this system may not be that common, it should be kept in mind when planning a defense against such an attack. The system also appears to have significant merit when used by a single armed defender against multiple unarmed attackers, which I understand from SouthNarc is a common defensive knife use.

My first thought would be to attempt to deflect the first thrust off to the side (or downward) it is already moving towards, and attempt to gain control of the arm immediately after the deflection, when the blade is hopefully pointed away. However, that would not work against someone who is thrusting and retracting immediately for the next thrust. Perhaps a carefully timed entry, during retraction of one stab attempt, would present an opportunity to jam the arm and grab it as you describe. I have not pressure tested any of this, and such testing would likely reveal some good chances to get sliced in the process.

It is an interesting problem, and one I should have thought to try to solve and pressure test before now.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Re: my background: I make my living behind a desk as a patent attorney. I wrestled JV in high school, earned a black belt in Isshinryu Karate while in college, trained under a few other instructors since then, and most recently spent about 3 1/2 years training in MMA under a retired police officer. Some of my training has included offensive use of a knife or stick. I have been shooting since I was 11 years old, obtained my first concealed handgun license in 1996, and have taken various training courses since then. I am certified to teach NRA Basic Pistol. Lately I get to shoot fewer than 10 times/year due to other responsibilities.

Unfortunately I am not currently training except keeping my physical fitness up as bast I can, but I need to change that soon. There is a good BJJ school within 5 minutes of my home. I have been somewhat limited lately by osteoarthritis in my knees, and just completed my third series of physical therapy.

If you also have knee issues, perhaps we need to compare notes.
    SWAT obstacle course was the final straw in my knee after a lifetime of MMA/Grappling/MA abuse and Rubber Guard like an idiot abuse...

So had about a year off with rescheduling surgeries around work. Finally had surgery, took out TON of miniscus. Taught a couple months of Self-defense classes and now back to doing BJJ just once a week. 4th week I felt much stronger last week, more comfortable. In a couple weeks will bump it up to twice a week and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    That does make sense, and I agree it is very difficult to defend against.

The reason I mentioned it after hearing the comment about overhead is that I was previously taught what I believe to be a very good response to an overhead attack, and became very good at that response. Then, I (perhaps foolishly) injected myself into a domestic situation in a neighboring apartment. As I was in the hallway listening and attempting to determine exactly what was happening, the man who was beating up the mother of his kid walked out of the apartment. He saw me, tried to tell me there was no problem, and went back into the apartment. Neither of us realized that when he stepped outside, the lady retrieved a knife from the kitchen. He immediately exited the apartment followed by her (wearing a night shirt and not much else) making use of the knife in reverse grip, using a straight thrust. He made some weak, ineffectual attempts to grab the knife, and was then chased out of the building by her. Deciding she had things under control, I went back in my apartment. (She later thanked me for attempting to help.)

As soon as I saw the attack, I realized that the technique I had been taught would not work against that attack.

Since that event, I have also seen SouthNarc's posts about the Pikal system on another forum. That system relies on a reverse grip, edge in thrusting motion. If a thrust is blocked, it presents an opportunity to simply withdraw the knife hand, taking some flesh from the blocking arm in the process. While this system may not be that common, it should be kept in mind when planning a defense against such an attack. The system also appears to have significant merit when used by a single armed defender against multiple unarmed attackers, which I understand from SouthNarc is a common defensive knife use.

My first thought would be to attempt to deflect the first thrust off to the side (or downward) it is already moving towards, and attempt to gain control of the arm immediately after the deflection, when the blade is hopefully pointed away. However, that would not work against someone who is thrusting and retracting immediately for the next thrust. Perhaps a carefully timed entry, during retraction of one stab attempt, would present an opportunity to jam the arm and grab it as you describe. I have not pressure tested any of this, and such testing would likely reveal some good chances to get sliced in the process.

It is an interesting problem, and one I should have thought to try to solve and pressure test before now.
    A dark movie joke that went something like
    "I stabbed him plenty of times, the bastard never died on me before"

Don't approach the guy with that defensive grip....he isn't saber thrusting so...why close?

If you had to, the TOP 2 on 1 Baseball Grip to Rolling your lead elbow over into Armpit Armbar Waki Gatame Takedown I think will be the highest percentage for this. My inside knife chop to that stabbing wrist to throat chop that they used at the subway scene of John Wick 2 ...shown here twice in my video that WAS IN MY FIGHT LIKE JOHN WICK VIDEO some of their stunt team SUGGESTED I MAKE...just saying....Kinda like my Portland NeckTie choke was towards the end of John Wick w chair/wrist tied choke in warehouse...and my kneeling down vs 2 Asians was like Identical to end of John Wick 3 vs the 2 Indonesian RAID actors....just sayin'
    It's Marathon Day in the background so excuse me if a bit mad they won't have me on camera to get Wicked for some reason

[url]https://youtu.be/k5nQULlfuhY[/video]

Last edited by DanTheWolfman; 12-27-2022 at 07:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    A dark movie joke that went something like
    "I stabbed him plenty of times, the bastard never died on me before"

Don't approach the guy with that defensive grip....he isn't saber thrusting so...why close?

If you had to, the TOP 2 on 1 Baseball Grip to Rolling your lead elbow over into Armpit Armbar Waki Gatame Takedown I think will be the highest percentage for this. My inside knife chop to that stabbing wrist to throat chop that they used at the subway scene of John Wick 2 ...shown here twice in my video that WAS IN MY FIGHT LIKE JOHN WICK VIDEO some of their stunt team SUGGESTED I MAKE...just saying....Kinda like my Portland NeckTie choke was towards the end of John Wick w chair/wrist tied choke in warehouse...and my kneeling down vs 2 Asians was like Identical to end of John Wick 3 vs the 2 Indonesian RAID actors....just sayin'
    It's Marathon Day in the background so excuse me if a bit mad they won't have me on camera to get Wicked for some reason

[url]https://youtu.be/k5nQULlfuhY[/video]

That third video at about 0:17 seems to show a nice solution.

Site Supporter
    SWAT obstacle course was the final straw in my knee after a lifetime of MMA/Grappling/MA abuse and Rubber Guard like an idiot abuse...

So had about a year off with rescheduling surgeries around work. Finally had surgery, took out TON of miniscus. Taught a couple months of Self-defense classes and now back to doing BJJ just once a week. 4th week I felt much stronger last week, more comfortable. In a couple weeks will bump it up to twice a week and go from there.
    In my case I suspect the osteoarthritis was caused by running combined with collapsing arches, although my orthopedic doctor does not think I ran enough to explain the current level of damage. The meniscus is pretty torn up. The doctor, who works with college level athletes, is concerned that surgery would provide only short term relief and would accelerate the arthritis.

What has worked well:

Physical therapy - the single most helpful thing I have done. The best advice I received re: physical therapy is look for the people who work with college and professional athletes, and use them.

Orthotics in the shoes: Do not let anyone prescribe orthotics without first looking at your feet. The standard solution is lateral wedges in the heels, but these only increased my knee pain. A chiropractor who looked at my feet and spotted the collapsing arches provided an orthotic with extra arch support, based on the idea that it would better allow the ball of the foot to do its job. The decrease in knee pain was very quick.

Euflexxa shots: This is essentially a synthetic lubricant. Relief will not be apparent immediately, but when the knee is still good a year later, I call that a win.

Cortisone: Good for about 3 weeks of relief if things get bad, but not a long term solution. The cortisone will help settle things down to get a start on physical therapy.

that takes skill, and more overhead.

I've pulled it off disarming more than once with a bit more pressure, I've also caught the blade between like spock 2 fingers on each side looking like a damn magician to a room full of students and yelled at one "You weren't video taping?" lol...it was funny

But what you described I believe the 2 on 1 TOP BASEBALL BAT GRAB PLACEMENT HOLDER ROLL LEAD ELBOW OVER into waki gatame.....will prove the highest percentage if pressure tested by people

Theoretically....My Theoretical Aikido Bullshido shown here could....COULD....also work.

But w/ a knife you want HIGHEST PERCENTAGE techniques for the most part

IE...a really skilled guy, not full on pressure testing...can sometimes do some pretty cool stuff.....
    HECK...I, maybe can be able to do it for REAL...
    I have done a lot of things for real....like Kotagaeshi Hundreds of times bouncing and in bars, streets, bus etc.

But, I am not teaching catching punches out of air and crescent kicking knives out of hands to LE either....
    (though I would also argue, people that can't do stuff like I can do, well than of course they can't do a lot but I digress)

But people that tell me this stuff doesn't work when I have done all the time in real world situations is pretty funny. Those same people are low level beginners that don't even understand the principals and the attributes they are lacking

Site Supporter
    that takes skill, and more overhead.

I've pulled it off disarming more than once with a bit more pressure, I've also caught the blade between like spock 2 fingers on each side looking like a damn magician to a room full of students and yelled at one "You weren't video taping?" lol...it was funny

But what you described I believe the 2 on 1 TOP BASEBALL BAT GRAB PLACEMENT HOLDER ROLL LEAD ELBOW OVER into waki gatame.....will prove the highest percentage if pressure tested by people

Theoretically....My Theoretical Aikido Bullshido shown here could....COULD....also work.

But w/ a knife you want HIGHEST PERCENTAGE techniques for the most part

IE...a really skilled guy, not full on pressure testing...can sometimes do some pretty cool stuff.....
    HECK...I, maybe can be able to do it for REAL...
    I have done a lot of things for real....like Kotagaeshi Hundreds of times bouncing and in bars, streets, bus etc.

But, I am not teaching catching punches out of air and crescent kicking knives out of hands to LE either....
    (though I would also argue, people that can't do stuff like I can do, well than of course they can't do a lot but I digress)

But people that tell me this stuff doesn't work when I have done all the time in real world situations is pretty funny. Those same people are low level beginners that don't even understand the principals and the attributes they are lacking
    The difficulty I am having is how to get to the 2 hand baseball bat grip in the first place. That initial grab is the most dangerous part of the whole thing.

That is what I like about the part of your video that I mentioned: you deflect or pass the knife away from you, and then your hand is in position to momentarily (1 second or a fraction thereof) interfere with retraction of the knife for the next stab. There is your opportunity to grab, keeping in mind the danger of a Pikal retraction of the blade, attempting to take some of your skin with it in the process.

Once you have created that opportunity to grab, I see your point about the 2 hand baseball bat grip to the elbow lock. The wrist lock requires more precise hand placement. Getting a solid grip with 2 hands at or near the wrist puts you in position to get the elbow lock even if the position is not precise. Less precision required = higher probability.

So, put your description of the grab and elbow lock together with the video showing the initial creation of the opportunity to grab with maximized (but still very low) safety, I think you have hit upon a good solution.

Being able to just be instinctive is key beyond a few core techniques and positions.

Given only 2 of Tom Given's students instances were at entangled arm reach cqb distances there are other probabilities to be more concerned with.

In all but most extreme cqb like car I'd rather have a traditional Sabre forward grip tanto then a reverse grip or evil looking karambit in court.

I worked a strip club full of Crack dealers. Only BUG, my tanto folder and added a TDI for that location. The tdi would be the first drawn in most circumstances that could have happened but hit coming in through door after smoking other guard was a possibility. Same re door.. the tdi would have probably been better than BUG up close

For me I decided 2 pistols and folder is my edc OR work not one pistol and a fixed blade.

But that's personal choices.

User Tag List