Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My 3 Minute Knife Defense Vid of Live Goes

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I'm actually rather a fan of Dan's martial arts videos. I learned a few cool tricks to apply to my grappling and I do rather enjoy the martial arts content.

Interested in the knife defense stuff Dan. I'm one of your YouTube subscribers and enjoyed the stuff where you played around with some aikido techniques in live sparring

Plus I have caught a few people with a trick I learned from one of your lockdown half guard videos (think you called it a "hands free toe hold" or something) and my training partners were pissed.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    I am about to subscribe as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I'm actually rather a fan of Dan's martial arts videos. I learned a few cool tricks to apply to my grappling and I do rather enjoy the martial arts content.

Interested in the knife defense stuff Dan. I'm one of your YouTube subscribers and enjoyed the stuff where you played around with some aikido techniques in live sparring

Plus I have caught a few people with a trick I learned from one of your lockdown half guard videos (think you called it a "hands free toe hold" or something) and my training partners were pissed.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    Thank you much! Yes, I call that the Magic Armless Toe Hold...you need to body lock tough guys strong to finish. Gokor taught me that one.

Curious, are you LE or Medical/1st Responder? Do you have BJJ rank or where do you train? And most importantly do you carry a ByGod45astheLordAlmighty&JohnMosesBrowning intended?

Hopefully the 4 vids I posted, when you go back and watch the Original Vid, and re-read the babble I wrote it makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The techniques themselves appear solid. The apparent pressure testing was commented on above, and I agree with that comment. These techniques definitely strike me as quite capable of surviving pressure testing. They rely on gross motor skills, leverage, and the attacker's own motion.

You did a nice job of explaining the finer points that make the techniques work.

I am glad to see you recognize that the defender is potentially already taking damage and may have to react and defend under those circumstances.

If trying to buy time to create the opportunity to defend, you made the point about getting the attacker talking to you. This is a point I have also made when teaching, since the attacker cannot react as quickly if he is focused on talking. The attacker can certainly react faster if he is focused on listening. I don't think enough instructors recognize the importance of that point, so I am glad to see you mention it.

Two suggestions:

You mentioned overhead attacks. The one time I saw a knife used on the street, it was held in reverse grip, and thrust out mostly straight from chest level. That is a sample size of one, and I don't know if overhead attacks are actually occurring, but anything taught against an overhead attack should take into account that the attack might not actually be from overhead. You did advocate techniques that take into account a wide variety of angles of attack, so perhaps you already address this as you teach?

When practicing knife work under pressure, I would strongly encourage safety glasses. On one occasion when working rubber knife v. rubber knife, I was very happy to be wearing them.
    Thank you.

that sorta backhammer-jabby Stab like Darryl has used on the Walking Dead to stab into Walkers Foreheads I actually haven't seen on CCTV. There was a study of more traditional overhead Psycho reverse grip downward stabs...like towards face or into heart which I have seen on CCTV and it was 13% of attacks if memory serves.

The one you describe would be harder to defend for sure, but that seems a little more like something someone would do squaring off or knife dueling....Ie you should have ran or Circled while drawing and putting a barrier in between if they take up a stance.

Thinking about it....
    Let's say against their more common right hand attack....
    A reactive 2 fisted Grab reverse baseball bat might be instinctual and happen and could attempt rolling your left elbow over into Waki Gatame to break their elbow/elbow armpit armbar to bring them face first into the ground.

IF just your left hand shot to their wrist...it may be possible to do a then right hand under Figure 4 Top Wristlock takdown like in all the old Gracie Aikido Hapkido JKD techniques....but I think this won't be high percentage and fall apart in real pressure testing due to limited reaction and hand speed grab times. I might pull it off but doubt many could idk.

Against the Psycho overhead.....if you plan on doing the Dog Catcher Kwan Sou technique to JAM into them but suddenly realize it's reverse grip overhead you turn the same block into like a high X-block type of motion and Pass it to two on 1 anyways......

The Same, could be attempted Horizontally to Your reverse Stab....but then again that is a fast speed less committed attack so ....going to be harder TO STICK to the arm to get CONNECTION to pass to the 2 on 1.

That is a hard attack to counter I think.

Let me know if that makes sense and what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I am about to subscribe as well.

Great thank you, make sure to go through check out all my Playlists to find more what you are looking for. As I am older after knee surgery now. There was good Combatives stuff put out this past year after an Army Ranger Officer now turned Feebie had me in for a Seminar, and the most recent stuff.

Better MMA/Catch Wrestling/No Gi BJJ stuff when younger. Make sure to look for Combaties & Street Jiu-jitsu stuff by me as well.

Are you LE or 1st Responder? Currently training in anything?

Any questions anyone has...it helps to know your background and experience level, so I can talk in terms you better understand.

Apparently I am much better communicating on Video opposed to typing lol.

Cheers.

OH...and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

I'm working an Armed Guard job tonight and my car literally died on way home last night...so...it's always something.

Lol...I didn't realize mod @Paul Sharp was the one I referred to about Modifying the typically taught Jam & Wrap technique to his top arm across the shoulders to stop their foreword momentum WHICH MAKES A LOT OF SENSE to the 1,2 Combo of attempting Wrap/Arm Weave/Hammerlock and if not immediately going to baseball bat control. The Wrap technique does put knife near your neck, and if you don't keep your elbow/shoulder high as I explained in one go you can get cut/stabbed so may not be wanted for trained infrequently LE. Paul are you in W. TN or where?

I'm open to discussion w/ @Cecil Burch @SouthNarc as well on these different approaches and what is best.
    1. Dog Catcher/Kwan Sau/Jaws
    2. Combo technique of Sharps and the Jam/Wrap
    Vs...Sharp's technique stopping forward momentum to baseball bat directly

And also Is it BETTER overall to only have 1 technique.....
    Is it better to just have Dog Catcher vs any typical foreward attack which also can convert against an overhead/reverse ice pick attack as well

OR
    Is it better to use that number 1 and then either my Combo A/B approach or Sharp's approach for the closer sudden surprise attack..under stab or hidden behind leg or sewing machine attack.

ONE TECHNIQUE or TWO...and for two...is it better to do my beta tested Combo A/B approach, or better at least for the infrequent lower trained LE guys to just have Paul's technique as #2?

Given some distance, fence, awareness I don't think anything is more high percentage than Dog Catch/Jaws....

Unless more space to Circle out Bagua-ish, hopefully with barrier in-between, while drawing (and I myself am pretty accurate from Modified CAR position while Moving).

A discussion on here or podcast type thing wherever might be interesting to debate if anyone is interested. I don't know the mods but would be happy to.

I've helped teach an LE seminar in NW before, and Seminar on the Air Force base in Japan, and an Army Ranger/Officer/TurnedFEEBEEI had me out to do a seminar last year and I would very much like to be doing more stuff like that.

Merry Christmas

Also, for General Controlling Suspects, Combatives, and as you do see 2 of the 3 techniques come out when I do live goes vs Knife or Pistol....These 3 Techniques....yes even though "Aikido doesn't work" these three old Japanese Jujitsu/DaitoRyu/Aikido/Hapkido yaddayadda techniques should be known as well IMO

And the perhaps even bigger can of worms that is this subject.....I would love to do with Airsoft....and grappling w/ guns/simunitions stuff like SouthNarc does but I'm just a poor Armed Guard & don't think anyone wants to play that way at BJJschool and there is kid's around even at night so don't know what owner would think etc. it's difficult to do what needs to be done.
    Last edited by DanTheWolfman; 12-25-2022 at 12:18 PM.

Defense against a knife or gun in retention position?

At least use a cap gun that makes a click when trigger is pulled or a electric knife or marking knife for the contact scenarios and have the perp randomly attack or shoot the victim sometimes and not wait for victim to "set the stage"

Also put on some gear and have perp fight back when victim starts defense instead of standing and taking shots or locks/traps/takedowns with no further effort to do damage.

I was involved in choreographing theatric martial arts for a while....we did much of the same stuff....I would also demonstrate how I could shoot or cut the victim about 95% of the time so they would understand it was for show.

The fight will be what it will be.

I'm far from just a choreography guy. I sparred more top mma fighters than likely anyone else on the planet for over 20 years. Most pro's are done in 10, beat up, and done when they retire.

And yes admitted the can of worms now didn't I. Next step was to be with airsoft pistol just a spring gun and shooting glasses until I bought a co2 gun because my old one broke out running the trigger.

But there are related carryover techniques I flow to whether pistol or knife which was my main point of posting it. Leverage is leverage and bio-mechanics are bio-mechanics.

I've actual been in 2 on 1 stick assaults, multiple attacker fights, knives pulled, and one sorta pistol disarm.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheWolfman View Post
    Lol...I didn't realize mod @Paul Sharp was the one I referred to about Modifying the typically taught Jam & Wrap technique to his top arm across the shoulders to stop their foreword momentum WHICH MAKES A LOT OF SENSE to the 1,2 Combo of attempting Wrap/Arm Weave/Hammerlock and if not immediately going to baseball bat control. The Wrap technique does put knife near your neck, and if you don't keep your elbow/shoulder high as I explained in one go you can get cut/stabbed so may not be wanted for trained infrequently LE. Paul are you in W. TN or where?

I'm open to discussion w/ @Cecil Burch @SouthNarc as well on these different approaches and what is best.
    1. Dog Catcher/Kwan Sau/Jaws
    2. Combo technique of Sharps and the Jam/Wrap
    Vs...Sharp's technique stopping forward momentum to baseball bat directly

I still haven't gotten around to the videos, Dan, so forgive me if I'm missing something, or misinterpreting something.

If I'm visualizing correctly, the jamming of the opponent's forward momentum would be a lot easier by someone built like Paul, or you, rather than someone much thinner, correct?

Or should I stop asking stupid questions covered by the video work?

Thanks for sharing and the discussion.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

User Tag List