Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 3 Minute Knife Defense Vid of Live Goes

My 3 Minute Knife Defense Vid of Live Goes

Hi Guys,

Thought this might help some. There is the Primary technique of DogCatcher/Jaws/Kwan Sau to pass to Russian 2 on 1 which I am very high percentage with. For closer range surprised under stab/sewing machine (IE they walk up knife behind leg and you didn't control distance/react late/totally surprised) There was Beta Testing changing the commonly taught Jam/Wrap technique...Changed to more top arm across shoulder chest that a Chicago Cop teaches to 1st and foremost stop their forward momentum TO the attempted hammerlock style wrap WITH knowing you may have to plan B immediately to Baseball Bat Control...so more of a A/B approach.

Feel free to Beta Test/Film that one...and compare first the Primary at different distances....Turned On/Fence...the Primary is Better. But what about surprised up close what I beta tested is that Better than Primary response for everything from any forward angle (and even overhead slasher movie icepick stab-I think about 13% of all attacks)? Or is this at least better in A/B Combination planned on better than jam & wrap which is commonly taught (hand just going to neck or simultaneous punch and block? Baseball bat control to Stirring the Shoulder yanks into ground or pass to 2 on 1 need to be trained no matter what as well because it is a common reactive instinct that happens.

There ALSO needs to be training the VISUAL MENTAL Recognition that 45 Degree BENT ELBOW Reaching in waistband or pocket or Hand Hidden Behind Leg THAT ALMOST ALWAYS means reaching for a weapon. The Drive By technique I came up with at :32 should be trained which gets you out of there (or creates distance to draw pistol/equalizer) as should a neck frame CIRCLING OUT to draw pistol similar to what good MMA fighters use to not be driven to the cage-LE/CCW Do Not move back in straight line but Circle OFF LINE DRAW (& if possible put barrier in between) and Fire if needed (from Modified CAR POSITION should be considered-it's fast and can be accurate in Bagua style circle around).

Last edited by DanTheWolfman; 12-23-2022 at 01:00 PM.

@DanTheWolfman, have another look at the PF code of conduct. Unless you’re a supporting business, no ads.

Also no astroturfing, which means no pimping your stuff on other platforms.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Bottom part deleted. Please let the video stand, as these are techniques that need more beta testing in this community which could save lives. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheWolfman View Post
    Bottom part deleted. Please let the video stand, as these are techniques that need more beta testing in this community which could save lives. Thank you.
    I mean this in the most genuine and nice way, but man, you gotta work on your presentation in the written word.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I mean this in the most genuine and nice way, but man, you gotta work on your presentation in the written word.
    My late night typing was sufficient to get my meaning across to the mod. I'm not publishing a book & proofreading online. My brain works much faster than my fingers.

I hope the video, along with my comments, is enough to think about the different technical approaches for different scenarios.
    Last edited by DanTheWolfman; 12-24-2022 at 02:36 PM.

@DanTheWolfman, Thankyou for posting the video. It's clear from this video you put a lot of effort and energy into pressure testing techniques.
    A71593

You're welcome.

Think it's ok to post the How to vids? These should help those interested.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheWolfman View Post
    My late night typing was sufficient to get my meaning across to the mod. I'm not publishing a book & proofreading online. My brain works much faster than my fingers.

I hope the video, along with my comments, is enough to think about the different technical approaches for different scenarios.
    All I wished to communicate was that if you wish for others to actually get to the video, or understand what you are trying to say, a little more clarity would go a long way.

I understand the frustration with speed. I am similar. I will even get so sparse in spoken language when busy that I drop articles and secondary words, and am a native English speaker (like right there).

I've had to learn to do otherwise most of the time, if I want many people to understand, or even bother to listen.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Site Supporter
    I'm actually rather a fan of Dan's martial arts videos. I learned a few cool tricks to apply to my grappling and I do rather enjoy the martial arts content.

Interested in the knife defense stuff Dan. I'm one of your YouTube subscribers and enjoyed the stuff where you played around with some aikido techniques in live sparring

Plus I have caught a few people with a trick I learned from one of your lockdown half guard videos (think you called it a "hands free toe hold" or something) and my training partners were pissed.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The techniques themselves appear solid. The apparent pressure testing was commented on above, and I agree with that comment. These techniques definitely strike me as quite capable of surviving pressure testing. They rely on gross motor skills, leverage, and the attacker's own motion.

You did a nice job of explaining the finer points that make the techniques work.

I am glad to see you recognize that the defender is potentially already taking damage and may have to react and defend under those circumstances.

If trying to buy time to create the opportunity to defend, you made the point about getting the attacker talking to you. This is a point I have also made when teaching, since the attacker cannot react as quickly if he is focused on talking. The attacker can certainly react faster if he is focused on listening. I don't think enough instructors recognize the importance of that point, so I am glad to see you mention it.

Two suggestions:

You mentioned overhead attacks. The one time I saw a knife used on the street, it was held in reverse grip, and thrust out mostly straight from chest level. That is a sample size of one, and I don't know if overhead attacks are actually occurring, but anything taught against an overhead attack should take into account that the attack might not actually be from overhead. You did advocate techniques that take into account a wide variety of angles of attack, so perhaps you already address this as you teach?

When practicing knife work under pressure, I would strongly encourage safety glasses. On one occasion when working rubber knife v. rubber knife, I was very happy to be wearing them.

User Tag List