Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Studies on the effectiveness and limits of dry fire?

Site Supporter
    How do we define dry fire practice. What is it. What should we be looking at in our sessions. It’s a really broad thing. Anyone can click the trigger multiple times.

I ask this to ask.

What makes action style shooting so interesting, is you can always be faster, more accurate, and more consistently. Each time you reach a new level, you need to break things in your technique to figure out what is limiting improvement at that moment. Then once you fix what was "broken," you push again to break the next thing. Break and fix becomes an ongoing process.

My experience is that live fire is where the rubber meets the road, in terms of verifying what you think you are doing well in dry fire actually results in improvement. A week ago, I did something different with my grip (really doesn't matter what, but it was TPC quarter-paneling with my support hand). The problem was, the new technique caused my strong hand thumb to contact the rear of the slide above the 2011 thumb safety, and with just an 8 pound recoil spring, caused stoppages. To sort that out, I needed a crappy match and two live fire sessions. On the flip side, I "discovered" something with my wrist lock at the range today, and have been burning in reps on that in dry fire this afternoon to try to own that progress.

In a perfect world, to optimize progress, you get to dry fire and live fire every day, separately or even in the same session at the range.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

One thing I read on Enos' forum years ago that struck me was that dry fire lets you attend to executing the shot process without the ego investment of hitting a target.

Someone has mentioned how the Blue Angels practice visualization and "Dry" piccolo playing in rehearsals

As far as young Eli, that's a conundrum, isn't it?

We don't know(and likely will never know) the true extent and quality of his range and dry fire time. What his lawyer said might be unintentionally misleading. Whatever he did was certainly sufficient unto the day.

One of the biggest benefits of dry fire is you actually do it, and keep doing it after you reach a skill level where further improvement is mainly fun.

You can incorporate dry fire into other mundane maintenance like exercise. It provides a nice break from tedious tasks like research and bookkeeping.

Conversely a substantial live fire regimen requires a big time and money investment and for some people a lifestyle change. You can learn important lessons from doing that but most people aren't going to keep it up. A useful amount of dryfire can become a lifelong habit.

I remember years ago watching a squad ofJarheads of MCSFB Bangor diligently dryfiring with their M16s at a 55 gal drum painted red with target silhouettes stenciled on it.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post

One thing I read on Enos' forum years ago that struck me was that dry fire lets you attend to executing the shot process without the ego investment of hitting a target.

Someone has mentioned how the Blue Angels practice visualization and "Dry" piccolo playing in rehearsals

As far as young Eli, that's a conundrum, isn't it?

We don't know(and likely will never know) the true extent and quality of his range and dry fire time. What his lawyer said might be unintentionally misleading. Whatever he did was certainly sufficient unto the day.
    Great dry fire/holding video. Thanks,
    Randy

User Tag List