Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washing hands after shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I was told using cold water is better than hot. Any truth to that?
    Yes, the advice comes I believe from Alf Fischbein, leading authority on lead poisoning. I am told hot water opens the pores, which is counterproductive to lead removal.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    D-lead, but there is a lot of atomized lead going out.

I have had friends sidelined at work by blood lead levels, who almost exclusively shot outdoors, or in the shoothouse, and only about 10% of lead in the body is in the blood according to my 15 year old training, the rest lives in the bones.

When D-lead is available I wipe as much skin as was exposed while shooting. Hands, wrists, neck, face, dome...

Whether I D-lead or not, I come home and as long as the kiddos aren't home I walk straight to the laundry room, strip, wash the clothes, then go take a shower, preferably cold to clean the lead off of the skin and tighten the pores.

I don't know about the validity of the information above, that information was part of the State Firearms Instructor curriculum, in 2007, and none of the updates I have attended have addressed this. It seems a small price to pay...

pat
    I try and shoot leadless primers and total metal / synthetic jackets to limit aerosolized lead exposure.

RWS Lead Free primers

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I try and shoot leadless primers and total metal / synthetic jackets to limit aerosolized lead exposure.
    I see them for sale and was thinking of buying some for my practice ammo. Anyone try them yet?

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearning View Post
    I see them for sale and was thinking of buying some for my practice ammo. Anyone try them yet?
    If they’re the same thing they use in their copper matrix frangible ammo, they’re a little hard and don’t like cold weather that much.

The lead free primers I mainly use are the ones Federal loads with their Syntech. I think they call it their Catalyst primer.

They’re very soft. Softer than the traditional Federal primers.

I think they’re offering them for sale soon / now?

User Tag List