Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing hands after shooting?

Washing hands after shooting?

If soap and water aren't available, what do you guys use to get metals/shooting residue off your hands? Is there a waterless cleaner or shop wipes you recommend? Thanks.

Get some of these.

Site Supporter
    De-lead wipes are optimal.

Baby wipes or a bottle of water in a paper towel are better not washing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Get some of these.
    We use these near daily.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have both the escatech d-leads and have also used these

I keep a canister of D-lead in the car.

I also have a set of shoes for shooting indoors and I try and wipe them off in the grass or snow outside the range as well.

D-lead also has a soap but the wipes are very convenient.

D-lead wipes are always in my range box. At the facility I ran I kept all the dispensers at handwashing stations and in the restrooms filled with their soap.

I use D-Lead soap and wipes if at all possible after shooting, and reloading tasks (brass sorting, loading, ammo handling). I prefer to change clothes after visiting the indoor range, but I'm not religious about it. I also like to wipe down my face and neck. Had my lead levels checked a year ago, and things were fine. The single pack D-Lead wipes are handy, I try to keep some in my truck and range bags.

Even regular soap and water is better than doing nothing.

Site Supporter
    I was told using cold water is better than hot. Any truth to that?

Site Supporter
    D-lead, but there is a lot of atomized lead going out.

I have had friends sidelined at work by blood lead levels, who almost exclusively shot outdoors, or in the shoothouse, and only about 10% of lead in the body is in the blood according to my 15 year old training, the rest lives in the bones.

When D-lead is available I wipe as much skin as was exposed while shooting. Hands, wrists, neck, face, dome...

Whether I D-lead or not, I come home and as long as the kiddos aren't home I walk straight to the laundry room, strip, wash the clothes, then go take a shower, preferably cold to clean the lead off of the skin and tighten the pores.

I don't know about the validity of the information above, that information was part of the State Firearms Instructor curriculum, in 2007, and none of the updates I have attended have addressed this. It seems a small price to pay...

pat

User Tag List