Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Savage Arms Announces 1911

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Not sure what Colt is doing these days having been sold to CZ. I'm not interested in anymore production 1911's.
    Things haven't changed from what I've seen.

The Custom Shop is still building really nice guns but the production line guns are still just okay. Poorly fit safeties are what puts me off. I will say the new Combat Elites seem a little better made than other offerings, but not nearly up to the level of Custom Shop guns.

The nitride-finished Savage in 9x19 appeals to me. I find the rail a plus as it further moderates what muzzle rise there is. That is a huge plus for my arthritic wrists, regardless of caliber. When I started working from home full-time during COVID, I transitioned from Glock back to the 1911, mostly because I shot up my 9x19 ammo stash and could not get primers to reload. When we moved to FL, I kept working from home so I kept up with the 1911. The 1911 in my holster is nominally a Kimber Warrior. Nominally because the only Kimber parts left are the barrel, frame, and slide. It is checkered at 25 LPI and has a nitride finish. A 9x19 understudy appeals to me.

Savage has recently been introducing and building some quality designs. I expect we will see some additional models, including ones with front strap checkering, if the initial models sell well.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Personally I'm always a bit cold on "yet another manufacturer is building a 1911" but at the same time, I guess gluts bring down prices, not that I can import that stuff anymore (nor do I need another 1911).

Not a big fan of the slide but the two-tones are pretty decent looking, and the nice thing about stainless frames is that you can just cut checkering in, and you're good to go. But I agree for that money, and the money they spent making the slide non-traditionally ugly, they could have just provided checkering from the get go.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    But I thought we were in a striker fired pistol era now. How is it possible there is a market for a new 1911 pattern pistol?

I thought 1911s were antiquated...

They are but they make nice target pistols.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    But I thought we were in a striker fired pistol era now. How is it possible there is a market for a new 1911 pattern pistol?

I thought 1911s were antiquated...

So am I, but I can still get it done.

Niether one of us are as good as we once were, but we're as good once as we ever were. 😉
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

With none actually on the firing line, the boards are still getting revved up in fault finding. The leading gripe is
    "HORRORS, THE FRONT STRAP ISN'T CHECKERED!"
    I don't know how the factories checker mass produced guns or how much it adds to the cost and price, but it apparently would make sense for Savage to add it. Or maybe a texture to compliment the zoomy slide, quickly done with CNC or laser.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    With none actually on the firing line, the boards are still getting revved up in fault finding. The leading gripe is
    "HORRORS, THE FRONT STRAP ISN'T CHECKERED!"
    I don't know how the factories checker mass produced guns or how much it adds to the cost and price, but it apparently would make sense for Savage to add it. Or maybe a texture to compliment the zoomy slide, quickly done with CNC or laser.
    Gate keepers gotta gate keep.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    A different view on checkering:

When I take new shooters or occasional shooters to the range, I want them to be comfortable. Although I would not push trying a .45 1911 on the first trip, at least one female new shooter did so and did well with it. My daughter currently only shoots .22 pistols, but I would like her to try some pistols in more serious defensive calibers, and keeping her comfortable will be a critical part of that process.

Checkering might not be comfortable for everyone who picks up the gun, and I have seen a few guns with really sharp checkering.

A gun that comes with a smooth frontstrap can have friction added multiple ways - Pachmayr grips that wrap around the front, skateboard tape, the Wilson Combat checkered sheet matal piece, stippling, or checkering to the specific shooter's preference.

I do not think omitting checkering was necessarily a mistake.

Site Supporter
    Man there is NO good info out there about these guns yet. Just announcement blurbs in the press and predictable commentary on the forums.

I'd like to see Hilton Yam do a review, or someone else who can provide reliable and objective information. It's a short list.

Site Supporter
    My grouch about these not being checkered is more from the standpoint of

"Well then where are the extra 3-400 dollars tacked on to the price tag coming from?"

If the answer was "properly fit barrel" I would be fine with that.

If the answer is "made in America and not MIM ignition parts" then I will start booing and throwing rotten tomatoes

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

User Tag List