Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Savage Arms Announces 1911

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    My grouch about these not being checkered is more from the standpoint of

"Well then where are the extra 3-400 dollars tacked on to the price tag coming from?"

If the answer was "properly fit barrel" I would be fine with that.

If the answer is "made in America and not MIM ignition parts" then I will start booing and throwing rotten tomatoes

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    I am thinking along the same lines as you. I mean sure it's good that the sear and disconnect are tooled steel parts. But I want to know what they are investing in the gun to bring it to market at that price. I see a little extra work done to contour the rear edge of the thumb safety, which is a nice touch. The barrel crown is cool I guess. But the absence of checkering or some type of treatment on the front strap really doesn't make sense considering they are texturing the top of the slide.

If Savage brought someone into their operation to really put some thought into the internals and the production process -- with maybe some hand fitting of crucial parts -- then that might somewhat satisfy me. But it will also surprise me.

So I'm Savage... I'm going to tool up and make a pistol. "Let's make another 1911 cuz there aren't a lot of those out there???"

I mean why not tool up and make a 2011 (double stack, whatever you wish to call it) That appears the new hotness and there are way fewer competitors. Why not just jump into the current century?

Quote Originally Posted by Slalom.45 View Post
    So I'm Savage... I'm going to tool up and make a pistol. "Let's make another 1911 cuz there aren't a lot of those out there???"

I mean why not tool up and make a 2011 (double stack, whatever you wish to call it) That appears the new hotness and there are way fewer competitors. Why not just jump into the current century?
    Because, while the Filipinos make double stack components, the Turks were cheaper and they don't.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Because, while the Filipinos make double stack components, the Turks were cheaper and they don't.
    Name:  47618424-CEA6-4EBB-839E-AA0E51A4ED00.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  15.8 KB

ETA: can’t get the gif to gif.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    With none actually on the firing line, the boards are still getting revved up in fault finding. The leading gripe is
    "HORRORS, THE FRONT STRAP ISN'T CHECKERED!"
    I don't know how the factories checker mass produced guns or how much it adds to the cost and price, but it apparently would make sense for Savage to add it. Or maybe a texture to compliment the zoomy slide, quickly done with CNC or laser.
    I get the cost cutting with no checkering if on a sub $1k msrp pistol.

If you can send it out to get it done for $200 ish, I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be cheaper than that to machine checker a frame while it’s already having the other machining operations done.

I’m apparently not their target audience, since I want front strap checkering and think the slide treatment is ugly.

I don’t like the aesthetics of the slide cuts but that looks like a nice pistol; we’ll see if they are.

If they’re GTG for $1200 they will make sense for a lot of people. I personally would rather spend $1600 for a DW with a frontstrap treatment, but it’s not necessary.

they will probably suck. 1911s are hard to build.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    they will probably suck. Good 1911s are hard to build.
    Even good Hi-Powers are hard to build. Just ask Springfield.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter
    Adding a minor tidbit to this. In a video from SHOT, a Savage rep said the hammer is machined stainless steel. So that along with the tooled steel sear and disconnect hopefully mean the fire control group will be good to go.

The question of why the front strap is not checkered was avoided however.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Even good Hi-Powers are hard to build. Just ask Springfield.
    To keep piling on: Good pistols (defined as reliable, safe, ergonomic, compact enough for carry, and accurate enough for defensive use) are hard to build. Everybody's building, few are building well.

User Tag List