Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Rocking an 856 Defender or Executive 3"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I'd wager Smith & Wesson still sells more J frames with gutter sights than any other revolver in their lineup.

People are buying them as they are.

Why would Smith spend the money on making changes to a design that's been one of their top selling handguns for literally a couple of generations now? How many more will they sell if they spend the money making those changes?

It really boils down to that.

Gutter sights are trash, but they're successful trash. Changing costs more money.

And to S&W's minimal credit, they have opened up the gutter a bit and made the front sight larger to improve the sight picture some on newer production revolvers.

Some.

I wish the buying public had a clue what was good, but when it comes to firearms and firearms training the vast majority of the customers don't know the difference between shit and sirloin.
    All of this ^^ = 1) Gun companies exist to make money, not guns; 2) To quote Tony Soprano “There’s a lot of money in garbage.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Just saying… Ol’ Wild Bill’s eyesight was deteriorating quickly during this time, so he probably would have appreciated some better sights as well. My first pistols and revolvers had awful—and—gutter sights, and simply having a FO front sight is a real treat. Having said that, any revolver I’m going to carry outside of a pocket needs an adjustable rear sight.

@HCM Have you seen the studies done on Byron Ferguson’s eyesight? I think it was a group from MIT doing the study, and his eyesight and reflexes were phenomenal!
    No but several of the old school gunfighters such as Jelly Brice, Walter Walsh and Bill Jordan had better than 20/20 vision when they were younger and while Walsh’s eyesight deteriorated slightly with age he was still 20/20 into his 80s. Jordan had some better than average reflexes and hand eye coordination

This thread will make sure Dan the Wolfman’s legacy will never die! ShamWow 4ever!

Site Supporter
    When I bought my first concealed carry handgun in 1995, I didn’t select one with crappy sights because I thought crappy sights were acceptable. I picked one with crappy sights simply because everything I saw in multiple gun shops in the size I needed had crappy sights. If a wanted a small frame .38 or a compact .380, the only question was exactly which version of crappy sights I was going to be stuck with.

The vast majority of the times I thought I might be about to need a gun were in poor light. Sights that work well in poor light are mandatory to me on any gun I select for serious purposes.

The quality of the available sights was one of the biggest factors which led me to purchase a Glock 26 at a time when I had been a revolver user who believed in six for sure.

If I were buying a small frame .38 today, a Ruger LCR would be one of my top choices, mostly for the easy availability of a tritium front sight. Now that gun makers are finally starting to figure out that a small frame revolver can have good sights, I predict bright futures for those who provide good sights and dim futures for those who don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Yup. I got my 856 Exec out of WA state purgatory today, and the sights are easily K-frame service-level. If it hits to POA, I’ll call it good, myself.

I mean, after I do part of the front in orange paint pen.
    If you might be interested, when they are back in stock :

https://shoptaurus.com/products/amer...revolvers.html
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Just because I enjoy dragging out this meme.
    Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    If you might be interested, when they are back in stock :

https://shoptaurus.com/products/amer...revolvers.html
    I’m not sure they are the same height. Most folks seem to report that the 856 EG with its standard ramp shoot to POA with 130gr fodder. My 856 Talo with Ameriglo front shoot to POA with FBI load.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    And then there's this:

Right around the 13:30 marks a screw falls out and the Executive is out of action.

It does highlight the fact that revolvers need more attention and that it always a good idea to check everything before use, but it is not a good look for something sold as top tier and coming from its own production room.

I am going to continue to search for the appropriate 3" Smith.

I will keep an eye on Taurus as I think they are headed in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    And then there's this:

Right around the 13:30 marks a screw falls out and the Executive is out of action.

It does highlight the fact that revolvers need more attention and that it always a good idea to check everything before use, but it is not a good look for something sold as top tier and coming from its own production room.

I am going to continue to search for the appropriate 3" Smith.

I will keep an eye on Taurus as I think they are headed in the right direction.
    All my dislike for Taurus and I won't blame them for a screw backing out.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    All my dislike for Taurus and I won't blame them for a screw backing out.
    I’ve only ever owned pinned barrel Smiths, including a 5 screw M & P circa 1912. All of them will eventually have the crane screw back out if you don’t do your part. Video dude is uneducated.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List