Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Rocking an 856 Defender or Executive 3"

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Ameriglo makes them. They also make the Kyle Defoor sight. It has the tritium low too. It’s on purpose.

I agree that a large U north would be pretty cool. However if NAA can dovetail sights on their little single action 22 revolvers I don’t set why they can’t be more prevalent on larger guns.
    Can you or anyone else see explain to me why, in 2023, it’s not standard practice to have at least SOME kind of standard fixed rear sight on a revolver that doesn’t have an adjustable rear sight? I mean, I get it, the gutter sight was standard practice for a while, but we’ve collectively moved on from that except for in this one single arena.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Can you or anyone else see explain to me why, in 2023, it’s not standard practice to have at least SOME kind of standard fixed rear sight on a revolver that doesn’t have an adjustable rear sight? I mean, I get it, the gutter sight was standard practice for a while, but we’ve collectively moved on from that except for in this one single arena.
    Because you’re thinking like a shooter and not like the average gun owner, who buys a gun and put it in a drawer similar to the fire extinguishers people have an ignore in their kitchens.

Fact is the fire extinguisher people buy a lot more guns than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Because you’re thinking like a shooter and not like the average gun owner, who buys a gun and put it in a drawer similar to the fire extinguishers people have an ignore in their kitchens.

Fact is the fire extinguisher people buy a lot more guns than we do.
    I don’t necessarily buy that. When Keltec/Ruger came out with their P32/LCP respectively they had essentially the same sights. Completely milled into the slide and tiny. Later evolutions of the LCP design now give us dovetailed front and rear irons while also being significantly larger and therefore more visible. That was done over the span of years, not decades.

So why hasn’t the J-frame/LCR gotten the same treatment? Hell even 3” medium and large frame revolvers unless they’re “special edition” limited runs still have a gutter rear. I just don’t understand why something this basic MUST be a custom gunsmith feature.

So why hasn’t the J-frame/LCR gotten the same treatment? Hell even 3” medium and large frame revolvers unless they’re “special edition” limited runs still have a gutter rear. I just don’t understand why something this basic MUST be a custom gunsmith feature.
    Brands are motivated by the same thing that drives Mr. Krabs. Another component SKU to keep in inventory and machining changes, and the current models sell just fine. If the market would have supported/demanded iteration to topstrap dovetail sights, they’d already be a standard thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Because the vast screaming majority of LCRs and J-frames that are purchased aren't shot at a high enough skill level to recognize the gutter rear sight as a potential deficiency. Plus, the gutter sight on LCR is actually pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Because the vast screaming majority of LCRs and J-frames that are purchased aren't shot at a high enough skill level to recognize the gutter rear sight as a potential deficiency. Plus, the gutter sight on LCR is actually pretty good.
    Maybe I just need to quit screwing around and pickup an LCR already. I really do like my 442-1, but even with the front sight painted the sights are just complete poopy.

Off the shelf the LCR is a step above the base J. Better trigger and a pinned front sight that’s easily replaceable.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    I'd absolutely jump on a j frame with real sights, factory standard. At the very least, Smith ought to make use of the u notch style gutter rear sight that you see on some of their rimfires.

The gutter sight is a horrible idea and needs to join the single action percussion revolver with the rear sights on the hammers. These ideas belong in the boneyard of ideas long since surpassed.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

And the rear sight on the Executive 856 is actually even better than the LCR. I have shot or handled a couple of different 856s (Chuck Haggards and Calebs), and as much as I myself would love a good dovetailed Glock type rear, the gutter on the 856 is not much, if any, of a handicap.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    The gutter sight is a horrible idea and needs to join the single action percussion revolver with the rear sights on the hammers. These ideas belong in the boneyard of ideas long since surpassed.
    I like them.

User Tag List