Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Rocking an 856 Defender or Executive 3"

Anyone Rocking an 856 Defender or Executive 3"

I keep thinking about these things 3" barrel, as drawn to 3" Revos for looks, balance, and ballistics. Really want an Executive...beautiful and really nice trigger. There are a couple models of Defender that look great 2-tone VZ grips, and then there is the possibility though harder to find of an Ultralite Defender would make very lightweight carry option...and could put nice wood grips available for it from Taurus or Altamont, and use orange nightsight or paint blade orange.

Heavier version could carry with Underwood 125 gold dots that should be very fast & ultra effective from 3". Ultralite would probably pick up some Critical Defense 110 plus p.

Anyone got one?

Or anyone have the 2" and would you prefer all steel or aluminum Ultralite? Has it held up well?

Thanks

We are fortunate to literally have *the* SME on these guns as a member here. I think you’ve seen his posts.

At any rate:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....6-38-SPECIAL-P

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....keting-Manager
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    We are fortunate to literally have *the* SME on these guns as a member here. I think you’ve seen his posts.

At any rate:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....6-38-SPECIAL-P

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....keting-Manager
    Thanks, going through now, though more specifically looking for 3" responses.

Everyone I have held 2" or 3" and diddled last couple years has been very good QC from what I can tell though been almost all steel ones. Only ones questionable were batches at two stores of Ultralite 2"s before c1984 kicked off where like 3 of 4 weren't great...different trigger feel from each other too.

Do have a friend whose defender cylinder wasn't rotating reliably all the way...cylinder stop ball detent at bottom spring issue or something? and finally 3rd time back got a replacement

If I do get one it will probably either come with VZ or swap rubber out to nice wood from either Taurus or Altamont (though I do really like the standard short grip as pinky does wrap under for a full feeling grip)...and get a night sight put on if needed knowing there is hitting high issues but for defensive 7 yard in rapid stuff probably works good and just focus on equal height past 7 yards.

In fairness I am also considering Charter Boxer and Charter Professional because like specs and weight as well but more worried about being bit in the arse and getting told ya so feelings. Most Charter's I've handled (.38s and one polished .357) haven't been great....the Boxer I handled was pretty good, the 9mm pitbull I handled last week QC seemed very good. A friend reviewed just 50 rds through Boxer favorably...but..yeah...50 rds...

I have nice options for carry both revos and autos, but don't mind experiencing what budget or mid tier options I can recommend to people.
    Last edited by DanTheWolfman; 12-20-2022 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheWolfman View Post
    I keep thinking about these things 3" barrel, as drawn to 3" Revos for looks, balance, and ballistics. Really want an Executive...beautiful and really nice trigger.

Heavier version could carry with Underwood 125 gold dots that should be very fast & ultra effective from 3". Ultralite would probably pick up some Critical Defense 110 plus p.

Anyone got one?

Or anyone have the 2" and would you prefer all steel or aluminum Ultralite? Has it held up well?

Thanks
    Have a 3" Defender. Carry it sometimes. I have had no trouble with it to date, other than one sideplate screw wanting to not stay tight. Really need a better holster for it than the Galco Stow-n-go, something with sweat shield to keep the hammer from jabbing my gut. My understanding is that stuff's in the works on account of "that Caleb guy" prevailing on better holster companies to support Taurus products better.

There are a couple models of Defender that look great 2-tone VZ grips, and then there is the possibility though harder to find of an Ultralite Defender would make very lightweight carry option...and could put nice wood grips available for it from Taurus or Altamont, and use orange nightsight or paint blade orange.
    Buy the one with the Hogue grips, because that's OK and the cheapest option. Then install whatever grip set you like. The grip I really like on small frame Taurus is the Crimson Trace, but it costs.

I had a 3" that was out of time. I sold it with disclosure. Bought an old Ladysmith 3" K Frame for twice the price. I am not sorry.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Thanks...yeah re holsters I've got an IWB that will fit a 2" 856 942 or DickSpecial not sure about 3" w the night sight (Just checked hole too tight for a reliable draw)
    I've got a couple of 3" owb holsters that will be way big for it but kinda work.

I could probably get don hume to send me something that would work..they probably have a Dick Special but only 2"...not sure though owb which is now how I carry again if barrel not fully covered damn jeans divet scratches guns...

Do you think you would prefer the ultralite defender for carry? Or comfy enough in steel and more pleasant to shoot handle recoil?

OK for anyone reading, if you carry a Defender...what holster are you using?
    Last edited by DanTheWolfman; 12-20-2022 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheWolfman View Post
    Thanks, going through now, though more specifically looking for 3" responses.

Everyone I have held 2" or 3" and diddled last couple years has been very good QC from what I can tell though been almost all steel ones. Only ones questionable were batches at two stores of Ultralite 2"s before c1984 kicked off where like 3 of 4 weren't great...different trigger feel from each other too.

Do have a friend whose defender cylinder wasn't rotating reliably all the way...cylinder stop ball detent at bottom spring issue or something? and finally 3rd time back got a replacement

If I do get one it will probably either come with VZ or swap rubber out to nice wood from either Taurus or Altamont (though I do really like the standard short grip as pinky does wrap under for a full feeling grip)...and get a night sight put on if needed knowing there is hitting high issues but for defensive 7 yard in rapid stuff probably works good and just focus on equal height past 7 yards.

In fairness I am also considering Charter Boxer and Charter Professional because like specs and weight as well but more worried about being bit in the arse and getting told ya so feelings. Most Charter's I've handled (.38s and one polished .357) haven't been great....the Boxer I handled was pretty good, the 9mm pitbull I handled last week QC seemed very good. A friend reviewed just 50 rds through Boxer favorably...but..yeah...50 rds...

I have nice options for carry both revos and autos, but don't mind experiencing what budget or mid tier options I can recommend to people.
    I've owned and shot the 3" black steel version for over a year now.
    The factory trigger was breaking in well, but the Galloway spring kit makes it amazing.
    I'm over 1500 rounds, issue free, short of finding a holster.
    A member here made me one, leather, which is working fine AIWB.

The night sight is a good addition, mine came with.
    The Taurus grips absolutely suck, bought a pair on Amazon which work OK.
    Name:  20220820_112405.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  43.7 KB

Read thru the first link Totem supplied.
    Lots of information there.

I've been seeing on a few other forums that a Charter Arms bulldog 3" holster will work, as well as the Colt detective special holster.
    Anything that is sized for the sp101 was too big, in my experience.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    I had a 3" that was out of time. I sold it with disclosure. Bought an old Ladysmith 3" K Frame for twice the price. I am not sorry.
    That's too bad.

But Taurus sells huge amounts of G3c's and 856's , that I wonder if their failure rate is any higher than other companies.

I'd love an older Smith 3" .357 or Ladysmith (I like the way it looks and secure enough to carry a ladysmith marked one) hopefully prelock, recent offerings have had lot's of QC issue like everybody though.

I'm also somewhat considering a g4xl just to evaluate since cheap w rebate now and could make an additional Girlfriend gun option (where the heavish trigger isn't necessarily a bad thing). I've got some glock compatible front night sight I've never used so could put on it as well I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    The factory trigger was breaking in well, but the Galloway spring kit makes it amazing.

I've been seeing on a few other forums that a Charter Arms bulldog 3" holster will work, as well as the Colt detective special holster.
    Thanks, yeah I am reading through it giving me something to do now.

That looks nice....and one of the grips I like at only $44 that is quite good.

Good point about the Large Frame/AKA bulldog holsters...this one could work but again FKING KNOB on jeans scratches guns at 3'oclock if not fully covered. Charter OWB Holster for our 2.2 - 2.5" Barrel Large Frame Revolvers $65 guessing a bit of wiggle but not horrible.. Hmmm Don Hume makes for the Pitbull .45 but that is XL frame so probably too much wiggle

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post

Is CSW for Combat Submission Wrestling? Student of Erik's?

How do you hold on the night sight? So you see a bit of the low tritium dot still and you are ok with it hitting high?

Caleb said seemed to be regulated 130 fmj in his vid.

All my cheap .38 ammo is 158 lead...I've got various standard pressure jhps that wouldn't even expand from a 3" though so I guess I could check POI w some 125s and 135s.

Re Galloway spring kit.....is that both Hammer spring and return spring? I think one other poster worried about hard primers with a lighter hammer spring. I don't reload.
    Last edited by DanTheWolfman; 12-20-2022 at 05:16 PM.

User Tag List