Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the pistol-forum ethos?

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Ethos? A better question is "who is the pistol-forum Porthos?"
    Lighten up d'Artagnan.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'll swing back through and make a few other observations about pistol-forum.

For whatever reason, as I go out into gen-pop, as far as gun culture goes, I'm mindful of the fact that there is a yuge amount of derp that transpires on gun fora. This is speaking "in general" and I don't mean it in any disrespectful way. It is the same feeling I get when I go to the square range and look at the number of holes in the walls, left and right of my stall. And even in the ceiling; geez. I mean, folks mean well, but there is an awful lot of misinformation out there.

I mention this because found myself channeling some of the thoughts of our more experienced and skilled shooters here, when I post on other sites. What is the saying, in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. Not, that I can offer a lot on other forums, but it's nice to have had the exposure to p-f from 2014. I came late to guns, deciding when I retired from corporate life about 12 years ago that I wasn't going to be a victim. I'm not sure how I stumbled on pistol-forum. I think it was 2015 before I ventured to start a thread to ask a question. I started a Training Journal. That got me connected up with Gabe White, who I am proud to say arranged for me to have 3 hours of his time to help me with my Walther PPS M2, then schmoozed me into my first (and only) level 2 match, the Columbia Sectional. Later I took my first "real" course with Tom Givens in Everett WA, while we were on the road in the RV. All this to say I have always gotten good advice here, and I appreciate everyone who took time out of their day to help me out. Obviously a lot of those good folks are still here, which is what I meant about the signal.

The noise, well, the noise is probably always there. Bozo's gonna bozo. Idiots gonna idiot. A-holes gonna a-hole. Being a retired engineer and professional over-thinker, it is a lifelong pursuit of mine to HTFU and just get on with it. I try and do that every year, when I clear out my ignore list, to start fresh in 2023. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, I thought about "ethos" some more, and I think I like this better:

"Pistol-Forum doesn't give you what you want to hear; pistol-forum gives you what you need to hear."

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/1acb071...4-ca69b53ab4d1

"At least its an ethos." Can't get the video to post.
    Last edited by Shotgun; 12-21-2022 at 05:27 PM.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

I had a lot typed up, but I'm going with...

Soon™

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I like how you left an honorable task of buying ammo online to you know who.
    Hey, she has four choices too. While I am doing the deep thinking on PF, she is responsible for feeding us and the firearms. Pretty sure Ammoseek.com is one of her four.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

With this site, I have a few thoughts.

1) I know that if I have a question, I am 100% confident I will get the answer here.

2) Sometimes I have questions that I don’t want to ask for the thought of sounding stupid, and get dismissed.

3) There are some smart cats on this board.

I enjoy this board, but for the common shooter, it can be overwhelming but the folks here are kind.

@Tamara , we met very briefly back at Paul-E-Palooza 4 in 2017.

I think P-F is still a great place to go for technical information. I still do searches here even if I'm trying to find information on things unrelated to firearms. If I need running shoes, or kitchen knives, I'll do a P-F search.

I used to come to P-F for entertainment and information about current events. I no longer do that very much. However, when covid hit, and it was hard to know what the hell was going on, I still came back here to read opinions from certain people that I trust and respect. It was much more valuable to me than relying on the journalism of the era.

The old spirit is still here, and some new people have added new value, but I don't find discussion of current events to be as pleasant or entertaining as it used to be. I don't think P-F is alone in this; it seems like the entire internet and most of the real world is like this for me nowadays.

Have you come back to help remedy the situation? You always did add a certain flair to the place.

P.S. - Caleb works for Taurus now. True story.

P-F ethos in 2022?

I guess it'd be "Compare your resume to that of who you intend to spout off against"

Thankfully P-F still maintains a higher-than-average medium of intelligence, coupled with people who actually know stuff via experience or sound research (or something close enough to it). Still, nothing's quite as amusing as folks who think their participation in a profession that is armed means their opinion relative to firearms means anything. Like Mike Pannone says, "Participation does not equal proficiency".

I still poke my head in to other forums I used to frequent and before I get through one sentence of anything remotely skill-centric I damn near have a stroke from the level of derp being perpetuated. Maybe that's not much of a compliment to this place but I shudder to think of where I would be in terms of firearms knowledge, skill development and drive to improve both had I not stumbled in to this forum.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NWshooter View Post
    2) Sometimes I have questions that I don’t want to ask for the thought of sounding stupid, and get dismissed.
    A stupid question asked politely and humbly is never a stupid question.

I still pop in here to update my training log.

I try to answer any question about anything I may know something about here/on PMs.

I like the good, honest info. Unlike this:

http://instagram.com/p/CmcAlw0BGWR/

(Yes. I know it is a joke. I love me some "Combat Solutions Group Industries"...)

User Tag List