Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: G48 MOS

Site Supporter
    Prior posters comments re: the poor quality of Freedom Munitions ammunition and the G48 being intolerant of weak ammo are correct.

That is a knock against FM, not remanufactured ammunition in general, there are quality Remanufactures such as Black Hills, Precision Delta and Atlanta Arms.

The bigger issue is the G48 is very sensitive to grip and ammunition that is too weak or too hot.

The slim line Glocks (43, 43X,48) are on the bleeding edge of reliability and it only takes one thing, grip, ammo, adding an optic, light or aftermarket mags, to push them into failure.

It’s important to understand the G48 uses the G43 recoil spring assembly. So it is not a “slim” G19 but a stretched G43 modeled after the G47/34. That means a reduced operating / timing window vs full size Glocks.

If better ammo does fix your issue, try removing the optic and see if the added weight of the optic is a factor.

@RJ had such an issue with a G48.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    @breakingtime91 is right. Freedom ammo sucks sweaty balls.
    It is some sorry shit.
    ^^^ For sure . The joke at our gun club was “Friends don’t let friends shoot Freedom Munitions.”

Thanks again for all the helpful replies everyone!

Just to clarify, the problem here happened when dropping the slide on a full mag, not while shooting. Just pointing that out because some of the comments about weak ammo really wouldn’t apply to this particular issue. I’m not arguing the point that weak ammo or grip issues may cause similar malfunctions, just pointing out that was not the case here. Maybe out of spec on dimensions, but I’ve never had any similar issue while shooting this G48 or my G43X with the same ammo (granted I have not put more than 1k of the Freedom through these guns though and won’t be buying any more). Again not arguing with anything anyone has said, just clarifying this particular instance.

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    Thanks again for all the helpful replies everyone!

Just to clarify, the problem here happened when dropping the slide on a full mag, not while shooting. Just pointing that out because some of the comments about weak ammo really wouldn’t apply to this particular issue. I’m not arguing the point that weak ammo or grip issues may cause similar malfunctions, just pointing out that was not the case here. Maybe out of spec on dimensions, but I’ve never had any similar issue while shooting this G48 or my G43X with the same ammo (granted I have not put more than 1k of the Freedom through these guns though and won’t be buying any more). Again not arguing with anything anyone has said, just clarifying this particular instance.
    I think what hcm said is spot on. Could be the optic unfortunately. I decided against getting a g48 because it uses a g43 recoil spring. Wish they would of done it right.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I think what hcm said is spot on. Could be the optic unfortunately. I decided against getting a g48 because it uses a g43 recoil spring. Wish they would of done it right.
    I haven’t heard about this issue, so I won’t argue wether or not it’s a thing, but I really don’t think it’s the case here. I’ll say again just to clarify, this G48 with Holosun 507k x2 ran absolutely flawlessly through 250 rounds of Freedom Munitions 115 Reman and about 20 rounds of Federal HST 124 grain, with the exception of the last mag. I loaded it, dropped the slide, and realized it was not in battery. I could not push it forward. Something stopped it and nothing I did could get it the last 1/8” into battery. After I removed the mag and round in the chamber, I dropped the slide on an empty chamber and it was fine. I then put the round back in the mag and dropped the slide and fired the ten rounds in the mag without incident. Something prevented the slide from going into battery and it was not a weak recoil spring. Hopefully it was an issue with ammo sizing, or something like that and not an issue with the gun, but it was definitely not caused by a weak recoil spring.

Just to update for anyone who is interested, I did a complete strip and clean of the pistol including slide internals, except for channel liner. Also verified extractor plunger moves freely. Reassembled everything clean and dry except for a drop of clp on the slide rails, connector, and barrel hood. Only interesting things I found were some brass shavings, just two or three, a burr on the inside of the safety plunger depressor, and a manufacturing mark under the extractor.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Just a FYI- the slimline slides (42, 43, 43x, 48) do not have channel liners.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Just a FYI- the slimline slides (42, 43, 43x, 48) do not have channel liners.
    Thanks for the info! I would have swore I saw one in there. Any issue with that little burr on the trigger bar safety plunger depressor?

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    Thanks for the info! I would have swore I saw one in there. Any issue with that little burr on the trigger bar safety plunger depressor?
    if you are referring to the build up at the bottom of the depressor part on the trigger bar, it may be low enough and not make contact with the safety plunger. If it did, I would feel it at the beginning of the trigger press.

Any offending roughness, if it were my gun would be addressed with a jewelers file and finished off with a stone.

if you can't feel any roughness through the trigger press, it's not making any contact with the safety plunger.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    if you are referring to the build up at the bottom of the depressor part on the trigger bar, it may be low enough and not make contact with the safety plunger. If it did, I would feel it at the beginning of the trigger press.

Any offending roughness, if it were my gun would be addressed with a jewelers file and finished off with a stone.

if you can't feel any roughness through the trigger press, it's not making any contact with the safety plunger.
    Thanks for the reply. Im talking about that little burr, right on the rear corner at the the top of the part that depresses the plunger…

As far as how it feels, almost the same as my g43X, maybe just a little heavier…

User Tag List