Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: USPSA sourced data of CO division growth and participation

  1. #21
    Site Supporter dogcaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You will want 140mm mags.
    Are TTIs the standard?


    Edited to say, Holy Schmoley- $50 for an extension and spring? I would effectively have expensive STI mags, no?
    Last edited by dogcaller; 03-11-2023 at 11:17 PM.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Are TTIs the standard?
    TTI, Taylor Freelance, Springer Precision and Henning all make 140 extensions that I see being used in uspsa. I am not sure about which ones for the Mecgar Beretta mags. You might check the BenStoeger pro shop and see if they show them for the Beretta.

    PS: looks like you have choices

    https://benstoegerproshop.com/gun-parts/beretta/
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    1984
    Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Are TTIs the standard?


    Edited to say, Holy Schmoley- $50 for an extension and spring? I would effectively have expensive STI mags, no?
    Yeah, the 140mm mags are as expensive as 2011 mags

  4. #24
    Deadeye Dick Clusterfrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Wokelandia

    USPSA sourced data of CO division growth and participation

    Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Can you say more about this? By 途equirement, do you mean in order to be competitive at a high level, or something else?

    I致e shot IDPA and similar outlaw matches over the years and I致e decided to take on USPSA洋y first match in 25 years is tomorrow morning, actually shooting my LTT RDO in CO. My (standard -sized) MecGar mags hold 18 rds. I知 not expecting to be any master competitor, but I知 just wondering how big a deal 5 more rounds will be. I don稚 know what I don稚 know.
    I shot a 24 round stage today with a single 24+1 mag using the new Rune springs and followers. Not doing a reload was an advantage.

    I mean required to compete on a level field.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

  5. #25
    open channel D fatdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Rural Central Alabama
    in my part of the world it is common for there to be one 24 round stage in a match, sometimes we see a short 20 round stage. But in general most all the field course stages are going to require one mag change for me. I have one MBX 23 rounder for my Glocks specifically for that 24 round stage because I can usually get through that one without a magazine change if I don't drop a shot. The rest of mine are the old Dawson or Taylor Freelance versions that give me 22 rounds with a factory follower.

    If I look at how the stages are usually constructed locally I certainly could shoot most all of them with a factory 17 round mag and get one mag change. BUT the big deal about having a 140mm is the greater flexiblity about choosing/planning where that magazine change will occur, which is the great time saver. You of course always want to find that sweet spot where you are moving and there is nothing to engage during that movement to do that mag change. Simply more options for when and where to execute the reload if you start with 23 or 24 rounds in the gun or the 22 round reload, Vs 18 rounds in the gun or 17 in the reload.

  6. #26
    Deadeye Dick Clusterfrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Wokelandia

    USPSA sourced data of CO division growth and participation

    Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Are TTIs the standard?


    Edited to say, Holy Schmoley- $50 for an extension and spring? I would effectively have expensive STI mags, no?
    Yeah, those 140mm mags really put the "Carry" in Carry Optics /Sarcasm/...

    The TTIs are fine, but I prefer Henning (and CZCustom). But, the springs and followers are important as well. I've had some reliability issues with Grams in my Shadow2s, likely because they appear to be repurposed 2011 springs and followers, not designed for CZ.

    CZ Custom springs and followers, and the new MBX have the right profile and angle.

    All this fiddly crap is a big reason I wish CO were 15 rounds max.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-12-2023 at 12:02 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Can you say more about this? By 途equirement, do you mean in order to be competitive at a high level, or something else?

    I致e shot IDPA and similar outlaw matches over the years and I致e decided to take on USPSA洋y first match in 25 years is tomorrow morning, actually shooting my LTT RDO in CO. My (standard -sized) MecGar mags hold 18 rds. I知 not expecting to be any master competitor, but I知 just wondering how big a deal 5 more rounds will be. I don稚 know what I don稚 know.
    You can totally start in local matches with 18. I and many locals run 23+1 but even for 23-24 round stages people would regularly factor in a reload unless the hit factor is very high. As mentioned above, it is more about when you'll have to do a reload rather than if. I have one 19 round mag that I still use routinely in matches.
    Get a feel how locals build stages, that will tell you.
    Last edited by YVK; 03-12-2023 at 01:06 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yeah, those 140mm mags really put the "Carry" in Carry Optics /Sarcasm/...

    The TTIs are fine, but I prefer Henning (and CZCustom). But, the springs and followers are important as well. I've had some reliability issues with Grams in my Shadow2s, likely because they appear to be repurposed 2011 springs and followers, not designed for CZ.

    CZ Custom springs and followers, and the new MBX have the right profile and angle.

    All this fiddly crap is a big reason I wish CO were 15 rounds max.
    The Rune set up has not been reliable in multiple Sig 320 pistols for friends and family -- occasionally they work but not consistently.

    22 in the mag is reliable all day long in most CO 140 mags.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The Rune set up has not been reliable in multiple Sig 320 pistols for friends and family -- occasionally they work but not consistently.
    So far so good in my CZs but not much of a round count yet. I've not thrown away my Grams stuff though and I'm not pushing past 23.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    You can totally start in local matches with 18. I and many locals run 23+1 but even for 23-24 round stages people would regularly factor in a reload unless the hit factor is very high. As mentioned above, it is more about when you'll have to do a reload rather than if. I have one 19 round mag that I still use routinely in matches.
    Get a feel how locals build stages, that will tell you.
    I agree and in fact I got started in local matches with 15 round magazines in my P07. It was fine. Because of the covid lunacy, it took me awhile to find bigger mags, and I eventually got some 19 round CZ75 mags that worked with the P07. I recently switched to an SP01 Tactical with 18 round mags. I just in the past week got ahold of a couple of henning extensions and can now stuff 24 rounds into the gun, but I never felt at all like my somewhat limited capacity, relative to the 24 round guys, was what was holding back my performance at matches! It is definitely true, though, that having more rounds in the gun gives you more freedom for convenient stage planning. At least, I assume it is, still haven't shot a match with my 24-round capability.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •